brainee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

reno wrote:
Sirand wrote:
reno wrote:
battlestar...gallactica?

Best damn show on television in eons.

you serious??

i never actually watched it but by the look of the previews, i never wouldve thought it was any good....at all

Where have you been hiding for the last year regarding the new BSG? Razz It's not just "geeks" who are raving about it. The mainstream entertainment press has been praising it to the heavens. It makes many critical lists for the best drama on tv (even those that don't care for sci-fi) and has won awards. Time Magazine says it well, defending their pick of BSG as the best show on tv (the first couple sentences seems particularly apt to this discussion):

Quote:
Most of you probably think this entry has got to be a joke. The rest of you have actually watched the show. Adapted from a cheesy '70s Star Wars clone of the same name, Galactica (returning in January) is a ripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with religious fundamentalists (here, genocidal robots called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal. The basic-cable budget sometimes shows in the production, but the writing and performances are first-class, especially Edward James Olmos as the noble but authoritarian commander in charge of saving the last remnants of humanity. Laugh if you want, but this story of enemies within is dead serious, and seriously good.
alien_nation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

i so love this show, it keeps getting better with each and every episode. it has a certain charm i love.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:24 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

It's a good show. I like the characters and, for the most part, the plot... the only thing that continually rakes on my nerves is the overuse of voice-over narration. That's just bad story telling.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
It's a good show. I like the characters and, for the most part, the plot... the only thing that continually rakes on my nerves is the overuse of voice-over narration. That's just bad story telling.

Not to me. I despise narration, but it works on favor of "Dexter" not to mention "Scrubs."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

Not to me. I despise narration, but it works on favor of "Dexter" not to mention "Scrubs."

I despise bad narration, just like I despise any bad storytelling devise. But the voice over narration as bad story telling rule isn't hard and fast... first time writers rely on it for exposition a lot, so it's earned a bad rep, but it can be used incredibly effectively in the right hands (granted, it doens't happen often but it does happen).

Since so much of Dexter's life is lived in secret and within himself, he carries on an inner monologue. He's pretty much the only person he can talk to. So for me, I have no trouble with the voice over. I don't find it overbearing or over-expositional.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

See, I dig the way Scrubs does it. It just seems alot more effortless than Dex, which has a tendency to beat you over the head from time to time. Not all the time, mind you, just a few moments each episode. Maybe it's just the way Hall reads the dialogue. His performance, for the most part, really is great, but his monologue can get a little blunt and tedious.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Horror Chic wrote:
Since so much of Dexter's life is lived in secret and within himself, he carries on an inner monologue. He's pretty much the only person he can talk to. So for me, I have no trouble with the voice over. I don't find it overbearing or over-expositional.

Let's not forget noir which uses narration excessively.

I hate narration and musical montages, but used well, as you stated, it can benefit the end product.

"Scrubs" is a very eccentric comedy, and JD lives most of his life in his own mind. Without the narration we dont get a sense of his character's own idiosynchrasies.

With "Dexter," you put it well. No further addition to your comments needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alien_nation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 am  Reply with quote

but i still love the actor that plays dexter, i think it's his best role he's ever done outside 6 feet under. episode 10 really got to me big time.
reno
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:31 am  Reply with quote

alien_nation wrote:
but i still love the actor that plays dexter, i think it's his best role he's ever done outside 6 feet under. episode 10 really got to me big time.

its also pretty much his only role he's ever done outside 6 feet under . . .
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

What a great finale! I was so afraid it was going to end on a cliffhanger, but the resolution couldn't have been any better. Just makes me even more anxious to see where they take the character in Season 2.
reno
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

this was a perfect finale. i couldnt have asked for more.
both the last scene with rudy and the last scene of the episode were two of the greatest moments in television.
David
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

The Woman In Black wrote:
What a great finale! I was so afraid it was going to end on a cliffhanger, but the resolution couldn't have been any better. Just makes me even more anxious to see where they take the character in Season 2.

I agree. I was absolutely positive that the show was going to end with Rudy standing over Dexter but they shocked the hell out of me by continuing on to the resolution of the Ice Truck Killer story line. What a novel concept! I also loved the way Dex was imagining everyone cheering him on at the end. I thought it was a perfect way to end the first season. The only bad thing about the episode is that I wasn't intrigued by the side story about Paul's shoe.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent finale.

My whole family loves this show. I was very happy Dexter handed that cop his ass. It's been a long time coming.

I was also very sure they'd end it with the killer over Dexter strapped to the table, but it was a wonderful way to end it.

Showtime didnt fuck with us, and they didn't jerk us around. They resolved it all in an hour with perfect pacing, and a great end to a great season.

This was an excellent end, I have to say again. Deb stood up to them, that new head of the department looks like a bitch, and Dexter had to kill the only relative left in his world.

He HAD to kill him, or else he'd have given away all of his secrets.

Great episode.
brainee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Showtime didnt fuck with us, and they didn't jerk us around. They resolved it all in an hour with perfect pacing, and a great end to a great season.

Exactly! Now THAT'S how you do a serial drama. Actually closing out a story-thread in an immensely satifying way, while leaving enough things open to make us want to come back for the next season. You just know if this had been a network show they would've likely dicked around for 24 episodes before leaving you at a cliffhanger.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I am a little torn on this episode.... Not that I didn't like it! Because I did... And it's not that it differed from the book, because the series hasn't really been slavish to the book thus far...

There were three major differences between the finale and the end of the first book.

One thing I figured beforehand they were going to change and I'm still taking a 'wait and see' approach depending on how it pans out.

One thing I didn't think they were going to change, but I knew it was a possibility, and they did and I liked the new change better than the book, actually (which does NOT happen often).

And the last thing it didn't even occur to me they would change, so I kept waiting for it to happen... and waiting, and waiting... and it didn't happen! And I think this is the part that's kind of nagging me, although I loved the rest of the episode. Because it's something I loved so much in the book, and an ongoing thing in the next book. And I kind of understand why they made the changes they did, but I don't really agree with them.

(And yes, I'm purposefully being vague because for those of you haven't read the books, you really should... and just in case it's something they decide to do in the series a little down the line I don't want to be a spoiler.)

Anyway, I still love my Dex and it was still a kick ass episode. Can't wait for next season....

Wait... how long do I have to wait??!?!? Sad

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca