FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> United 93
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I just revisited Paul Greengrass' United 93, which hit DVD today. I still can't believe audiences neglected this incredible film in favor of Oliver Stone's sentimental World Trade Center. It almost seems cowardly.

This is as real, effective, and confrontational as cinema gets. And it was absolutely necessary. There's no way to fully articulate the feelings you're left with after the final image slams to black. Even with repeated viewings, it loses none of its impact.

This is a damn near perfect film and a far more fitting memorial than any other dramatization, statue, or ham-fisted presidential speech. I urge everyone who hasn't seen it to muster up the courage for a viewing. Just be sure to clear your schedule, because when it's over, you will think of nothing else.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I really wanted to hate this film.

I was trying to hate this film.

But I just couldn't.

Saw it twice and both times it made me cry. What would you say to your loved ones over a phone, with only twenty minutes left to live? What would you do?

It's heartbreaking.

It's about as groundbreaking as a Civil war re-enactment, and doesn't challenge the viewer, but it's still a rather good film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:43 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I think the film was ground-breaking in of itself. It had the nerve to shake audiences, who wanted nothing more than the mindless escapism of Jessica Alba movies, out of their comfort zone and proclaim:

"Hey, America! Here's reality for ya!"

The mere existence of this film challenged all of us, and it spoke volumes when society's "We Will Never Forget" catch-phrase suddenly turned into "Too soon!"

The aftermath of 9/11 was sickening. Political exploitation. Conspiracy theories. Endless country music songs. There was a kind of purity in what Greengrass did, going back to the events that day without any agenda or bias and showing us the raw reality of what occurred. As heart-breaking and devestating as this film was, it was also very cathartic.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
I think the film was ground-breaking in of itself. It had the nerve to shake audiences, who wanted nothing more than the mindless escapism of Jessica Alba movies, out of their comfort zone and proclaim:

"Hey, America! Here's reality for ya!"

The mere existence of this film challenged all of us, and it spoke volumes when society's "We Will Never Forget" catch-phrase suddenly turned into "Too soon!"

Well, it fails to break any ground in that it re-enacts everything. It's not a film, it's just a re-enactment. Nothing more, nothing less. The dialogue from the actors are barely audible on the plane, and the film never challenges audiences to examine this tragedy from different views, it just shows us what it wants to.

Granted, I thought it was a very, very good film, but it's about as edgy as Annette Funacello.

Sirand wrote:
The aftermath of 9/11 was sickening. Political exploitation. Conspiracy theories. Endless country music songs. There was a kind of purity in what Greengrass did, going back to the events that day without any agenda or bias and showing us the raw reality of what occurred. As heart-breaking and devestating as this film was, it was also very cathartic.

I'm with you all the way.

But do you really think a film is going to shake us up? No film has yet to do that. That's humanity's error. "World Trade Center" is still just a film, "United 93" barely got any notice.

The films that shake up the situations are those that challenge us "September 12th," "The Guys," "The 25th Hour," "Parallel Lines," "Telling Isaiah," "9/11," "Sorry Haters." Those are films that dare to challenge the events and really lay it down for us.

"United 93" took no risks, even if it did let us look at the final moments of these poor people, and "World Trade Center" is just more rah rah "at least the stars survive" film dribble.

I don't need to see computer generated flames, and a plane smacking into the towers to remind me when that moment of the businessman making a makeshift rope thirty stories up desperately trying to climb down and then dropping keeps replaying on my head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

United 93 was challenging by way of its visceral simplicity. We didn't need those events interpretted from multiple views and theories, especially since we've heard everything there is to hear about the subject from every individual on the planet Earth. Instead, it tosses reality in our face and forces us to deal with it emotionally. That is far edgier than any pseudo-intellectual "Look at me, I've got something to say" deconstrunction.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
United 93 was challenging by way of its visceral simplicity. We didn't need those events interpretted from multiple views and theories, especially since we've heard everything there is to hear about the subject from every individual on the planet Earth. Instead, it tosses reality in our face and forces us to deal with it emotionally. That is far edgier than some pseudo-intellectual "Look at me, I've got something to say" deconstrunction.

Of course.

After five years of "This is how it happened"

we need a film to say "This is how it happened" all over again. Except in film form.

Again, good film, but I just don't agree.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I am still not sure why we needed a WTC film. United 93 I could understand because so much was unknown as far as what happened inside the plane.

At least Michael Bay didn't make a WTC film. If he couldn't get his facts straight with Pearl Harbor... the horror, the horror.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
I am still not sure why we needed a WTC film. United 93 I could understand because so much was unknown as far as what happened inside the plane.

It STILL is. "United 93" was based mostly around phone calls and speculation. It was never known if they actually got into the cockpit, it was never known if they got ahold of the pilots seat, it wasn't even know if they ever REALLY went through with their plans. It was also speculated they were shot down, and didn't really crash. That last scene was clearly a dramatization.

Kryten Syxx wrote:
At least Michael Bay didn't make a WTC film. If he couldn't get his facts straight with Pearl Harbor... the horror, the horror.

Well, there's something worse. Asylum is doing their own 9/11 film. So... yeah... horrible.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I fucking hated it.

Thought it was pretentious, boring, and sort of presumptuous. The whole pseudo-verite (or whatever you wanna call it) angle just seems a feeble crutch in the quest to be taken seriously.

And... nifty gimmick or not, some of those "as him/herself" roles really killed the entire thing for me. Even if I'd have been really into it, as a whole, the scenes where those "everyday people" had speaking roles would've still killed it for me. That one little blonde girl looked like a deer caught in headlights everytime she had to read a line. So, she was there... she followed some orders... she tracked some planes... BIG DEAL. Why put her in your movie?

I think it's approach to reverence is my big gripe. It just falls flat for me. Strikes me as the kind of thing dimwitted folk like the people who listen to Dr. Phil and who made The DaVinci Code such a massive success might be really taken aback by. But not me, man... not me. I think I compared the audience for this movie when it came out to those Christmas Only Christians. It's all about ritual and appearances.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:05 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

it's here!!!!!!!!!!
and it uh
FAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*everyone goes nutz*

thankyou, real life hero that i recognized from HELLBOY THE MOVIE!

Suddenly everyone goes from "Joe Everyday" to neck breaking badasses.

I had dreams like that when I was like 8 years old! Killer robots come to kill everyone at school but I save the day myself! Only this is an updated version with terrorists and a grown man!
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I'd still take United 93 over that dreadful WTC movie anyday.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:54 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Kryten Syxx wrote:
I'd still take United 93 over that dreadful WTC movie anyday.

See, I'd still give WTC a chance. I dig Ruffalo and Cage, and Ollie Stone usually comes pretty right with his films.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Then we shall agree to disagree. As long as you know I am right that is all that matters.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Eh. You may be right on the WTC front.

Anyone who argues with my stance on United 93 is a ponce, though. And that's gospel.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

But, the book of Bob says different...