FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Black Dahlia
Lunablix
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I haven't read the book yet. I am thinking I am gonna order it and another one called Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer. I know my mother has one of em so before I order I have to go through her books. Perhaps I should do through my forensic books to see what I can find.
JackieCoupe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote

***spoilers***

I was dissappointed, the tone of the film seemed to make big points about it being Elizabeths own fault about what happened to her, like being a rough les on the run should only expect to end up with her head in a vice and a wigan smile.
And Scarlett? I felt she was wooden and unsympathetic, in fact, I think the best character was the pissed up mum, and that included when she ate the gun.

This is the thing about hype, you can buy in and be floored and you can also buy in and get pissed off for getting excited when it was a crock.

Just my opinion.
Jack19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Read the book before you see the movie, it's ten times better and you'll be able to follow the movie better. James Ellroy is probably one of the best authors alive. Be aware though, that the book isn't really about the facts of the Black Dahlia killing, it's a noir that uses the killing as a major part of its plot. It's more about the two detecitives who become obbsessed with the case. All of the stuff about who did the killing is completely fictional. I think lots of people went into the movie wanting to see a docudrama, at least based on some reviews I've read. I thought the movie was pretty decent, but no where near LA Confedential, which was what I was hoping for.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:41 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I just ordered the book plus Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer and another one that's not due out til the 28th.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.

And yay for you, luna, STFUping the asses in the theater. You're one saucy dame that doesn't stand for any mook causing you grief.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Thanx. Laughing Damn right. I only let things slide for so far then I snap. Laughing

I can't wait for my books.
Jack19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.

I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am  Reply with quote

Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
lol Swerengen is fantastic. I like the way Farnum speaks, too. "One hopes for the best. One perseveres. One reevaluates constantly. One is an asshole if one doesn't." I start trying to talk like that after every episode.
Jack19
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:11 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

lol Swerengen is fantastic. I like the way Farnum speaks, too. "One hopes for the best. One perseveres. One reevaluates constantly. One is an asshole if one doesn't." I start trying to talk like that after every episode.

How the hell can they cancel a show so great? Plus they take forever to release the DVDs so I have to spend the next year or so dodgeing Deadwood spoliers.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

How the hell can they cancel a show so great? Plus they take forever to release the DVDs so I have to spend the next year or so dodgeing Deadwood spoliers.
I went through the HBO cancel suck with Carnivale already. I'm used to it.