FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Black Dahlia
Lunablix
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4846
Location: The Bronx, NYC

I haven't read the book yet. I am thinking I am gonna order it and another one called Daddy Was the Black Dahlia Killer. I know my mother has one of em so before I order I have to go through her books. Perhaps I should do through my forensic books to see what I can find.
_________________
Threw you the obvious. And you flew with it on your back. A name in your recollection. Down among a million, say: Difficult enough to feel a little bit. Disappointed, passed over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackieCoupe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 142
Location: United Kingdom

***spoilers***

I was dissappointed, the tone of the film seemed to make big points about it being Elizabeths own fault about what happened to her, like being a rough les on the run should only expect to end up with her head in a vice and a wigan smile.
And Scarlett? I felt she was wooden and unsympathetic, in fact, I think the best character was the pissed up mum, and that included when she ate the gun.

This is the thing about hype, you can buy in and be floored and you can also buy in and get pissed off for getting excited when it was a crock.

Just my opinion.
_________________
http://www.jackiecoupe.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:42 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 126

Read the book before you see the movie, it's ten times better and you'll be able to follow the movie better. James Ellroy is probably one of the best authors alive. Be aware though, that the book isn't really about the facts of the Black Dahlia killing, it's a noir that uses the killing as a major part of its plot. It's more about the two detecitives who become obbsessed with the case. All of the stuff about who did the killing is completely fictional. I think lots of people went into the movie wanting to see a docudrama, at least based on some reviews I've read. I thought the movie was pretty decent, but no where near LA Confedential, which was what I was hoping for.
_________________
You know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lunablix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:41 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4846
Location: The Bronx, NYC

I just ordered the book plus Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer and another one that's not due out til the 28th.
_________________
Threw you the obvious. And you flew with it on your back. A name in your recollection. Down among a million, say: Difficult enough to feel a little bit. Disappointed, passed over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:36 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 5679
Location: Cleveland, OH

I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.

And yay for you, luna, STFUping the asses in the theater. You're one saucy dame that doesn't stand for any mook causing you grief.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lunablix
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4846
Location: The Bronx, NYC

Thanx. Laughing Damn right. I only let things slide for so far then I snap. Laughing

I can't wait for my books.
_________________
Threw you the obvious. And you flew with it on your back. A name in your recollection. Down among a million, say: Difficult enough to feel a little bit. Disappointed, passed over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jack19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 126

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.


I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
_________________
You know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 5679
Location: Cleveland, OH

Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.


I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
lol Swerengen is fantastic. I like the way Farnum speaks, too. "One hopes for the best. One perseveres. One reevaluates constantly. One is an asshole if one doesn't." I start trying to talk like that after every episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jack19
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:11 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 126

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.


I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
lol Swerengen is fantastic. I like the way Farnum speaks, too. "One hopes for the best. One perseveres. One reevaluates constantly. One is an asshole if one doesn't." I start trying to talk like that after every episode.


How the hell can they cancel a show so great? Plus they take forever to release the DVDs so I have to spend the next year or so dodgeing Deadwood spoliers.
_________________
You know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 5679
Location: Cleveland, OH

Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
Jack19 wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I saw it and liked it, but I like anything that makes me talk like I'm from another era. That includes pirate movies, anything with knights and wizards and shit and Deadwood. Goddamn, I fucking love the way they talk on Deadwood.


I love Deadwood, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait for the season 3 DVD. The way they talk on Deadwood is amazing, my favorite example being when Bullock's wife and kids show up right as Swerengen is about to kill Bullock after their huge fight. Swerengen sees the kid looking on, drops his knife and goes "Welcome to fucking Deadwood. Can be combative."
lol Swerengen is fantastic. I like the way Farnum speaks, too. "One hopes for the best. One perseveres. One reevaluates constantly. One is an asshole if one doesn't." I start trying to talk like that after every episode.


How the hell can they cancel a show so great? Plus they take forever to release the DVDs so I have to spend the next year or so dodgeing Deadwood spoliers.
I went through the HBO cancel suck with Carnivale already. I'm used to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum