FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Star Trek: TOS to get CGI make-over?
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Yikes! Just yikes!

Quote:
Rumors sped at light speed on the Internet Tuesday that Paramount is working on an enhanced version of the original 79 Star Trek episodes that it plans to sell as a syndication package to broadcast stations. According to the reports, state-of-the-art visual effects will replace those in the series, new music will be added, and the show will be offered in high definition. Presumably, the new series will also be packaged for sale on high-definition DVD after the syndication package airs. The website DigitalBits, however, observed that "rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort -- and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots."
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Wow.

Old footage then new CGI...wouldn't that sort of stand out?
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:03 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Come to think of it, the computer over-haul they did on 'The Motion Picture' was pretty damn sweet. They made the new effects look like grandiose old effects, which was the exact opposite of the Lucas method.

But that film was an incomplete Hollywood movie. This is just....odd.
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:27 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

But... why?
StephenG.Jones
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, I always thought that green lady needed to be just a slightly less powdery shade of green.

but, yeah, I'm all for this, and am sure I'll watch every episode twice, should they happen.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Drool
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:55 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sirand wrote:

Drool

THAT'S MY HO HO HO! BACK OFF BIATCH!

ThatOneGuy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:36 am  Reply with quote

I'll wait to see how it looks before passing judgement. I just hope that they don't make the new effects stand out too much.

Oh my. Uncle Creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheSpectre
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:20 am  Reply with quote

it's being done because paramont has sold the show to be shown on broadcast television. Most of the cgi willbe outer space and the exterior of the ships
Zombie65
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:22 am  Reply with quote

I'll wait to pass judgement as well until I see it. If they do as good a job as they did with "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", it might look pretty cool.

I guess they'll have to change some of the stuff that was seen on the main viewing screen, which sometimes was outer space and the exterior of other ships.
Steven Millan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Sirand wrote:
Yikes! Just yikes!

Quote:
Rumors sped at light speed on the Internet Tuesday that Paramount is working on an enhanced version of the original 79 Star Trek episodes that it plans to sell as a syndication package to broadcast stations. According to the reports, state-of-the-art visual effects will replace those in the series, new music will be added, and the show will be offered in high definition. Presumably, the new series will also be packaged for sale on high-definition DVD after the syndication package airs. The website DigitalBits, however, observed that "rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort -- and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots."

Another reason to hate "Star Trek"(especially if they'r pulling this stupid George Lucas-esque act on the old schhol show that everyone knows and loves).
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I heard a rumour (that I just now made up, right this second) that with the new tech, they'll finally be able to have the Tribbles sing "Nyub Nyub".
flashback
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Steven Millan wrote:
Sirand wrote:
Yikes! Just yikes!

Quote:

Another reason to hate "Star Trek"(especially if they'r pulling this stupid George Lucas-esque act on the old schhol show that everyone knows and loves).

there is no need to reedit the episodes.

zombies , they creep me out.
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

I kind of have mixed feelings after watching clips of the enhanced "Doomsday" episode on YouTube.com. You don't want the original tampered with but it makes you wonder how Star Trek would look if Gean had today's technology. The damaged U.S. S. Constellation floating in space doesn't look like a toy model. When Spock says "Nothing but rubble and asteroids." you see asteroids on the view screen. In one shot they have Kirk walking across the view screen with stars and asteroids in the background while in the original shot the screen is covered. Shots of a CGI Enterprise moving swiftly through space and in the opening credits, the "beaming down" effect has been changed slightly. I would have to see an entire episode to make my final decision. If you don't mind these things then you might enjoy "Star Trek Enhanced".
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote

The clips of the "Doomsday" episode was done by Daren R. Dochterman which you can see more details and shots on his website. He won't be involved in the CBS project but knows the people involved, so basically this is what CBS and Paramount are going for.

http://www.trekenhanced.com