FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Whatever happened to CITY OF THE DEAD?
elric300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

I remeber reading about this Xbox game, with heavy involvement by George A. Romero and Tom Savini. Last I heard, the publisher,who was also set to release another Call Of Cuthulu game, went into bankruptcy, but there were other companies waiting to pick up their titles.

Anyone know if this is ever coming out?

Last edited by elric300 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snakeeyes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

George Romero was involved in name only pretty much. Early reports from E3 last year said this game was mediocre at best. It's a pity because the intial concept done by American McGee, which according to the artwork was pretty gory, was scrapped for a much more straightforward and boring first-person shooter concept. I'm kinda glad this game was cancelled because I would have liked to see a Romero game done right, with a lot more involvement from the man himself.
Fireflyfan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

So basically, George should pay more attention before signing everything shoved in front of him from now on.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

To clarify, I wrote about this extensively back around E3 2005. I dunno if that stuff made the jump from DC's former digs to this new setup or not, but try searching the archives for it.

In short, Romero signed over the rights to do games based on his stuff ages ago. Like, ten years or so, when he was in a major slump. Along comes Land of the Dead and suddenly, whammo, someone buys up the rights. That someone was American McGee, of Alice fame.

He in effect used me and this site to promote a non-existent game in order to sell off the rights at a higher price. He did so, to the former Hip Games, a budget software house with a terrible history of botching products.

And botch this one they did. Given to a developer who primarily wanted to make it an arcade shooter, the final product was absolute crap. One of the worst things I'd ever seen. Zombies with guns (prior to George's enhanced/evolved zombies in Land), super-combos for fast kiils...it was just absolutely horrifically bad.

At E3, I laid into the devs pretty hard, and got back exactly what I thought I would: they had no interest in making a horror game, they wanted to make 'Burnout 3 with guns and zombies, fast fun arcade play'.

During all this, Romero and his son, Cameron, were fighting the project tooth and nail. They knew this would be a terrible blow to George's reputation, and all based on a contract he signed back before video games were even very popular.

They were wanting to do a -real- Night Of The Living Dead game adaptation at a highly reputable developer, but that hasn't materialized, unfortunately.

The project and publisher died a very sudden death after E3, and good riddance. The folks at Hip were very kind to me, but other than the Cthulhu project they had working, their output looked awful for the coming year. It's no surprise they vanished, and the dreadful City along with it.
Morbid
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

The game is down, but not out. Kuju and Ernst & Young Inc have been shopping for a new publisher since August of last year. The fact that no one has grabbed it is pretty telling, as Mr. Dark has already stated, how shitty the game must be. Smile
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I'm still waiting for someone to nut up and get "Dead Rush" started again.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Chainsaw wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to nut up and get "Dead Rush" started again.

It'll never happen. After the project was shut down, Treyarch (the developer) was purchased outright by Activision and now works exclusively on assigned projects, things like sports games and movie licenses.

Unless a miracle happens and someone at Activision high up on the food chain decides to resurrect it (which won't happen, execs never second-guess themselves) then we will never, ever see the game.
Snakeeyes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:40 am  Reply with quote

I may be in the minority here, but after all the well-deserved hoopla about Dead Rising, I'm kinda sick of zombie games. And there are still a LOT coming out...

But an authentic NOTLD game would be great, especially if they kept it in black and white, grainy footage and all.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Snakeeyes wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but after all the well-deserved hoopla about Dead Rising, I'm kinda sick of zombie games. And there are still a LOT coming out...

But an authentic NOTLD game would be great, especially if they kept it in black and white, grainy footage and all.

Zombies were indeed the theme of E3 2005, with a ton of zombie games being shown. However, most of those have either come and gone (Infected for the PSP, Land Of The Dead, Stubbs The Zombie, Dead Rising) or been axed (City Of The Dead).

Possession is still out there, and based on what I played back then, it should be a VERY different take on zombie games. As the overlord who controls the zombies, you have a squad-based combat game where you're munching on humans instead of launching mortars.

Techland still has Island Of The Dead on the horizon, unless I missed an announcement to the contrary. They have a western game coming out that's getting some good press. I played it at E3, it's a heck of a lot of fun, so Island should be nifty. Back then, the head of the company told me his take will be pure survival horror: as in a zombie movie, there isn't much 'fighting' going on. It's 'oh shit, there's another mob of them, how do we get past them and find someplace to hole up for awhile?' If he pulls that off, it should be a unique and entertaining take on the genre that finally puts us in the zombie movie role. (Dead Rising does, from what I've seen of it, but is a little too tongue in cheek and focuses on mayhem much more than Island would.)

Finally, Hellgate: London will -have- zombies, but isn't a zombie game. Take Diablo (as this is being created by the team who made the Diablo games while they were with Blizzard), make it futuristic, open a doorway to Hell in downtown London, resurrect the Templars as holy avengers with flamethrowers and pulse rifles, and make it first person instead of the top-down Diablo interface. The undead play a part in all that, just as in Diablo, but the focus is on all sorts of hellish things and modern, horror-geek 'phat l00t' a'la Diablo's never-ending-quest for the best broadsword EVAR.
Fireflyfan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

I still think Romero shouldn't have signed it for a quick fix of cash if he wasn't sure about it. Don't get me wrong, Mcgee seems like a complete asshole, but Romero, who is supposed to be some guy who has super integrity, signing a contract for quick cash....well that kinda taints that image somewhat.

He should have thought about it more. If he was THAT hard up for cash, why not get a ''real'' job? Or I am sure he could have got work in comics or writing a novel. Im not saying I wouldnt sign a contract for a quick fix of cash, but then, I don't claim to be high and mighty when it comes to ''artistic integrity'' and blaming studios when things dont go my way.

Love the guy, but in the eyes of the law, he signed the contract so he should have to honour it. and if it turned out bad, i dont think many people would have blamed him anyway.

Possession should be a damn good game, assuming it ever comes out (which I doubt since nothing has been heard of it for months). Gangs of London for psp basically has a ''28 days later'' mini game included, and dead rising hits here tomorrow, so all in all, Im looking forward to more zombie games since they are the one monster I NEVER tire of.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Personally I'd rather have another Stubbs game.