FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Jenifer
joe kurtz
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:14 am  Reply with quote

brainee wrote:
sonny gaunt wrote:
I have been griping for awhile about how the only feel on the series is Garris'.

What comprises the "Garris feel"? Is it: Good cast and source material, made-for-tv, but hampered by pedestrian filmmaking, silly performances and plot developments, and horror cliches -- must be a Garris we're watching! I know exactly what you mean though (and I agree 100% with Legba about Jenifer). The hope for this series was that we'd get hour-long independent movies from these directors, but they don't feel like independent projects. The only that really does is Miike's, and I don't think it's a coincidence that that was the only one produced with a crew chosen by the filmmaker.

That's exactly how I feel about Garris' work as well.
It seems like his projects always start out with such promise, but then invariably fall flat on their faces. He really is incapable of getting good performances out of his cast for the most part. He just seems to bring out the worst in actors.
IMO, the only thing he's done thus far that didn't totally collapse down the stretch was his take on THE SHINING. I enjoyed that between King's script & Steven Weber's performance.
Other than that though, Garris' work is often groaningly bad. With QUICKSILVER HIGHWAY being his nadir & his DESPERATION being close behind. I actually had to force myself to finish watching them.
HookerTrash
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:18 am  Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Jenifer. It was my favorite episode till I saw Imprint.
Bone Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Jenifer is the 3rd MOH ep that I've seen. True, it doesn't take a neuro-surgeon to disect what is going to happen at the end of the film, but it gets points for some black humour and excellent EFX. Nit-pik: I've read that some were enthused about the soundtrack. Ahh..ER...Hello? What was there to get so worked up about? Some child-like chorus chanting ' La La La' over and over? It was rather pedestrian, IMHO.

There was a Dario stamp to the film. His use of off-beat colors. Just look at the film. His use of off-beat colors, in this effort, create a realistic, tangible texture.

The extras are solid and Steven Weber is a horror fans actor.