FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Baldwin in THE SOPRANOS
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 am  Reply with quote

From a story on IMDB news:

Quote:
Daniel Baldwin's fortunes have changed following a cocaine possession scandal and a string of driving misdemeanors - he's landed a part in The Sopranos. The actor will play himself in the final eight episodes of the acclaimed mob drama. In the episodes Baldwin has been hired by Michael Imperioli's movie director character, Christopher Moltisanti, to play a gangster in a horror film. Last month, the actor was questioned by police in Los Angeles after he was observed speeding through a red light before crashing, while driving under a suspended license. Cops had to pull a weapon on Baldwin at the scene of the accident after he refused to co-operate with them. Officials are still considering whether or not to charge the actor with a misdemeanor driving offence. In April Baldwin was arrested for cocaine possession after he was found in a Santa Monica, California hotel with cocaine and drug paraphernalia.

This sounds like a TERRIBLE idea to me. These are the very last episodes of a terrific show, why do some kind of stunt casting thing with Daniel Baldwin playing himself on a movie set? Ben Kingsly added the perfect amount of extremely subtle humor when he played himself in those two episodes (or was it only one?) last season. He's one of the best actors working today. Daniel Baldwin isn't Ben Kingsly. I could maybe understand him guest starring in an episode of 24, playing a guy who owns a gun shop, but not on the final 8 episodes of The Sopranos.

I hate it when shows do this kind of storyline anyway. Actors playing themselves making a fictionalized movie within a movie, who really wants to see that? It's never as good as simply telling the story of these characters lives.
belle morte
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

If Christopher is going to make a movie, I find it believable that Daniel Baldwin would be the best he could get.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

"GO FUH MONTOYA!"

thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

thedudeabides wrote:
"GO FUH MONTOYA!"

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Messiahman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Ultimo Franco wrote:

This sounds like a TERRIBLE idea to me. These are the very last episodes of a terrific show, why do some kind of stunt casting thing with Daniel Baldwin playing himself on a movie set? Ben Kingsly added the perfect amount of extremely subtle humor when he played himself in those two episodes (or was it only one?) last season. He's one of the best actors working today. Daniel Baldwin isn't Ben Kingsly. I could maybe understand him guest starring in an episode of 24, playing a guy who owns a gun shop, but not on the final 8 episodes of The Sopranos.

I hate it when shows do this kind of storyline anyway. Actors playing themselves making a fictionalized movie within a movie, who really wants to see that? It's never as good as simply telling the story of these characters lives.

Gotta disagree on all counts, my friend. This storyline is the logical culmination of Christopher's entire character arc -- he's been flirting with the idea of moviemaking since the second season, where we got to see just of bit of his hilariously awful scripting skills. And let's not forget the hysterical appearance of Jon Favreau as himself, right around that same time. Most of Christopher's story last season dealt with him realizing his "dream" and getting a Mafia-Zombie flick into production. The idea that Baldwin is the best lead available sounds just about right to me. As for Kingsley, I don't recall his appearance being subtle at all, as his presence provided the path to the season's funniest scene -- Christopher mugging Lauren Bacall and stealing her Hollywood goodie bag.

David Chase and his staff are far and away some of the most gifted writers working in ANY medium today. Methinks they'll handle this quite well.