FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Vampire Hunter D novels
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

has anybody else been reading these? pretty damn good, I think. it turns out there are about 25 different novels, all by Hideyuki Kikuchi... so far these are the ones in English:
vol 1 : Vampire Hunter D (the first movie is based off of this)
2 : Raiser Of Gales
3 : Demon Deathchase (the second movie is based off of this)
4 : Tale Of The Dead Town
5 : The Stuff Of Dreams
6 : Pilgrimage of the Sacred And Profane

5 & 6 come out in September and November, respectively
Elf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:09 am  Reply with quote

Oh, I love the Vampire Hunter D books. They're like the old pulp fiction stuff from the 30's with a Japanese flair. I mean, I love the movies, but the books are an absoulte trip.

Not to mention Amano's pretty illustrations are nifty too.

I just finished reading "Tale of the Dead Town" today. I think it's been my favorite of the four books. The first and second one were rather good too. The third was actually my least favorite, but I enjoyed the second movie more than the first.

And Hideyuki Kikuchi is KINKY.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

I've read the first one but that's it so far. I did enjoy it though I had some minor issues with the ending in regards to Doris. Aside from that though I thought it was a light entertaining read.

I've been meaning to pick up the second one, but it's one of those things I just keep putting off for whatever reason.

Oh, and the translation work is nicely done. It's not as good as the Suzuki novels, but it's heads and shoulders above the abysmal translation work done on Battle Royale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

lostphrack wrote:

Oh, and the translation work is nicely done. It's not as good as the Suzuki novels, but it's heads and shoulders above the abysmal translation work done on Battle Royale.

word!
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Now this is a nice surprise! I started a thread about these books back at "the other place" and I was constantly talking to myself ... Sad Nice to see that at least now I'm no longer the only one who digs these books!

My introduction to Kikuchi happened, obviously maybe, through the anime versions based on his books. The first anime I ever saw (if we leave kiddie TV series out) was WICKED CITY sometime in 1995. Then, VAMPIRE HUNTER D was the second anime VHS I ever bought that same year. I saw DEMON CITY SHINJUKU under its UK title MONSTER CITY and eventually A WIND NAMED AMNESIA, VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST (silly subtitle) and DARKSIDE BLUES (this last one is based on a manga Kikuchi wrote the story for, not a novel like the others) followed. I never thought I'd be able to read Kikuchi's books unless I learned a couple thousand kanji and brushed my Japanese grammar up something fierce. Luckily I can now afford to be lazy, at least as far as D is concerned. I'd still love to read his countless other books but maybe those will cross over too now.

As for the books themselves, I liked #2 and #4 the most so far because they were new adventured for D. With #1 and #3 all I did while reading them was comparing them to the animated movies. That was fun too since there are quite a few differences but it's the new D stuff that really does it for me. I can't wait for all the books coming up since those will all be new stories I am not familiar with.

PS: Elf is very right about Kikuchi being kinky. I for one am not surprised that the incestuous rape was left out of VHD: BLOODLUST when it was animated. Shocked And I like that not only all the girls fall for D but the men do, too! Mr. Green
Elf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:19 am  Reply with quote

Oh yes, I love the line in the Fourth book where Pluto says to D, "Every time I see your face I have to go jerk off." Or something along the lines of that. The first time I read that line I nearly died, then I had to reread it to make sure I read it correctly.

Also, in the first book D gets tenticle molested. XD

However, there's been a huge gap of improvement of storytelling from the first book to the fourth. And D gets more and more likable with each book.

Caterpillar brings up something intresting about the third book. Yes, there's inestual rape. A LOT of it. Sadly, almost all the girls in the books are victims of some sort. This probably hikens back to the western feel that Kikuchi is trying to capture.

Also, neat thing about Kikuchi is that he's a HUGE Hammer film fan.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

So, has anyone read the 5th book, "The Stuff of Dreams" yet?
Elf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:41 am  Reply with quote

I just finished it.

I really enjoyed it. The whole alternate, dream with in a dream reality was really neat. I think it was my favorite out of the books so far. Not to mention you get to see that Left Hand really doesn't care that much about his host.

However, even more refreshing was that neither Sybelle or Nan were victims. Sybille ASKED to be where she was in the beginning and ended up realizing that even a perfect dream doesn't compare to a flawed reality. Sure, they weren't kick ass chicks, but then again, feme fatals aren't in D's world that much unless they have fangs.

Personally, I'd like to see a D novel where D comes across a woman who's indifferent to him as he is to everyone else.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't gotten around to book 5 yet but I just saw that book 7 has already been scheduled for April 28th 2007. This was the first of several multi-volume D books in Japan and it looks as if the American publisher is keeping it that way since the cover states "Demon Journey to the North Sea - Part 1". There were two volumes in Japan and I'd expect the same for the translation. There will eventually be a 3 volume story (D - Dark Road) and even a 4 volume monster (D - Pale Fallen Angel), which should be good news to everyone who complains that the D books so far have been too short.
Elf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:07 am  Reply with quote

"Pale Fallen Angel" seems to be the most popular of the tales. Rumor even has it that they're going to make an animated OVA of it. If it's done by Madhouse with the same design team I'd be jiggy with it.

I'm glad the D books are doing so well here. It means that we'll get more of them. Poor Kevin Leahly though. He's the translator and he has another job as well as this one.

Also, there's going to be a D manga. Oddly enough, we're getting it here in America before they get it in Japan. It's due at the end of 2007, the beginning of 2008. Dark Horse is releasing it of course. And yes, it's a Japanese artist, not this Americanized manga crap we see so much of.

There's also a couple of volumes of D short stories as well that Dark Horse'll probably put out. And there's a two volume story told in D's POV. I'm REALLY looking forward to that one.
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

If they put out the books in the order they were published in Japan we should get the D short story book (it's actually more like three novellas of about 60 pages each) right after "Demon Journey to the North Sea".

Maybe it'd be time for Kevin Leahy to quit his job as a teacher and start translating fulltime... Actually I hope that once they catch up with D's adventures they'll start translating some of the gazillions (over 200) of other books Kikuchi has written. I'd be most interested in the seven WICKED CITY books.

Not sure what I should think of a D manga but if they get a talented enough artist I may be down with that.

The "Pale Fallen Angel" OVA rumor is more fanboy wishful thinking than based in any sort of actual plans or statements made. I would love to see more animated D but the sad fact is that the 2001 anime did rather poorly in Japan so unless the new stuff is bankrolled by a Western production company I don't see it happening.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

So are 5 & 6 out yet? I only have the first four Sad
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

5 is out, 6 is coming in January.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Apparantly not.

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Hunter-Pilgrimage-Sacred-Profane/dp/1595821066/sr=1-3/qid=1163184287/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-9240692-1663042?ie=UTF8&s=books
pumpkin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Wow, they finally converted them into English. Honestly I'm not as interested in the story as I am with the watercolor artwork by Yoshitaka Amano. The work he did for the manga in impecable. I wish I could work the paint like he can. Do the books have much of his artword in it?
I've been planning on picking up his art book but its $50. I've been hesitating on dishing out the cash for that one but it would be worth it.
The work he did for Vampire Hunter D is so elegant and dream like. Which is obvious why Neil Gaiman asked him to paint the imagery for his Sandman book "Dream Hunters"

http://www.myspace.com/candycorn138