FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Dread Central Cinema -> Official Watch Thread 8/4: "Jaws"
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Alright, gotta run guys, have to give someone a ride home. It was fun.
BlackFlagg

On the Orca near the end of the film, there is a shot of Quint aiming the harpoon gun. In this shot the harpoon gun is high, but in next shot he is shooting from the hip.
American Werewolf

During pre-production, director Steven Spielberg, accompanied by friends Martin Scorsese, George Lucas and John Milius visited the effects shop where Bruce the shark was being constructed. Lucas stuck his head in the shark's mouth to see how it worked, and as a joke, Milius and Spielberg sneaked to the controls and made the jaw clamp shut on Lucas' head. Unfortunately, and rather prophetically, considering the later technical difficulties the production would suffer, the shark malfunctioned, and Lucas got stuck in the mouth of the shark. When Spielberg and Milius were finally able to free him, the three men ran out of the workshop, afraid they'd done major damage to the creature.
Gory

Lunablix wrote:
I think my Jaws book is a first edition but I can't tell. It's an old hardcover and the copywrite is 1974. I dunno
It might be!!! That is awesome! Rock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:55 am  Reply with quote

Glad you had fun PL. Take it easy!
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:56 am  Reply with quote

American Werewolf wrote:
During pre-production, director Steven Spielberg, accompanied by friends Martin Scorsese, George Lucas and John Milius visited the effects shop where Bruce the shark was being constructed. Lucas stuck his head in the shark's mouth to see how it worked, and as a joke, Milius and Spielberg sneaked to the controls and made the jaw clamp shut on Lucas' head. Unfortunately, and rather prophetically, considering the later technical difficulties the production would suffer, the shark malfunctioned, and Lucas got stuck in the mouth of the shark. When Spielberg and Milius were finally able to free him, the three men ran out of the workshop, afraid they'd done major damage to the creature.

'bout 10 pages late on that one Wink Razz

later PL
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 am  Reply with quote

PowerLeech wrote:
Alright, gotta run guys, have to give someone a ride home. It was fun.
Night PL. Tell whomever you need to drive that next time they need to wait 15 minutes. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gory

BlackFlagg wrote:
American Werewolf wrote:

later PL
Laughing
American Werewolf

Gory wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
I think my Jaws book is a first edition but I can't tell. It's an old hardcover and the copywrite is 1974. I dunno
I used to have a first edition hard cover. It was in bad shape though.
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:59 am  Reply with quote

Gory wrote:
BlackFlagg wrote:
American Werewolf wrote:

later PL
Laughing

All I can say is...head with pain!
American Werewolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:00 am  Reply with quote

When the shark attacks Hooper's cage, there's live footage of a real Great White with a rope hanging from its mouth. This shark's mouth is clearly much smaller than the shark's mouth when it attacks the boat moments later. These scenes were filmed by noted shark photographers Ron Taylor and Valerie Taylor specifically for the movie. Because the Great White sharks they filmed would be smaller than the mechanical shark in the movie, they constructed a smaller version of Hooper's shark cage. Inside the cage they alternately used a small mannequin or a little person. One of the sharks they attracted got caught in the cage's cables and tore it apart trying to escape. The footage was so good that they changed the script to reflect the destroyed cage and Hooper escaping by hiding on the ocean floor. However, the small person used in the scene refused to go back in the miniature cage, which was damaged in the incident.
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:00 am  Reply with quote

American Werewolf wrote:
Gory wrote:
BlackFlagg wrote:
American Werewolf wrote:

later PL
Laughing

All I can say is...head with pain!

Better than ass with pain Shocked
Lunablix
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:01 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Gory wrote:
Lunablix wrote:

It's not in bad shape either but it has no sleeve. I think I got it for free too. But I don't remember.
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:01 am  Reply with quote

American Werewolf wrote:
When the shark attacks Hooper's cage, there's live footage of a real Great White with a rope hanging from its mouth. This shark's mouth is clearly much smaller than the shark's mouth when it attacks the boat moments later. These scenes were filmed by noted shark photographers Ron Taylor and Valerie Taylor specifically for the movie. Because the Great White sharks they filmed would be smaller than the mechanical shark in the movie, they constructed a smaller version of Hooper's shark cage. Inside the cage they alternately used a small mannequin or a little person. One of the sharks they attracted got caught in the cage's cables and tore it apart trying to escape. The footage was so good that they changed the script to reflect the destroyed cage and Hooper escaping by hiding on the ocean floor. However, the small person used in the scene refused to go back in the miniature cage, which was damaged in the incident.
There is some awesome footage the shot on the DVD. Mr. Green
Gory
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:04 am  Reply with quote

Lunablix wrote:
Gory wrote:
Lunablix wrote:

It's not in bad shape either but it has no sleeve. I think I got it for free too. But I don't remember.
For free? That's even better. Thumbs Up