FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> I'm coming for you Ricky Bobby...
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

TALLADEGA NIGHTS

The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

If there are any fans of Anchorman or 40 year old Virgin here...go see this movie. We previewed it last night and it is just as funny as Anchorman and just like Anchorman shall get funnier after each viewing. If you don't like Will Ferrel or Anchorman, don't see this movie...unless of course you like Da Ali G because Sacha Baran Cohen plays Ricky Bobby's French Nemesis race car driver.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

We had a chance to see it last night, but I had to bail. I plan on getting a double feature of TN and Clerks 2 on Saturday.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Sirand
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Must....see.... NOW!
Finnegan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that this film looks like its going to have a bit more substance than your classic Will Ferrell comedic relief film. Call me crazy, but I think that Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is going to be a winner.
Screamz
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Defininately need to check this out, especially since my bro is a huge Nascar fan and Anchorman was funny as hell... Laughing
Finnegan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Turns out I was wrong. While it was funny at parts, really the movie didn't fulfill my expectations as a whole. Even the crowd didn't laugh all that much.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty funny. Ultimately, I thought it would have a little more substance and "thick" humor as opposed to the cheap, one liners that are so prevalent with Will Ferrell comedies. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you've got nothing else to do it isn't a bad movie to see.
brainee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Turns out I was wrong. While it was funny at parts, really the movie didn't fulfill my expectations as a whole. Even the crowd didn't laugh all that much.

So is this one of those were they load up all the best jokes in the trailers (which audiences I saw them with always roared at)?

There is a deleted scene I read about that NASCAR insisted on the movie taking out. In a race, one of the drivers is enormously fat eating fried chicken while driving. He has a heart-attack and dies while on the track. But the blubber of his stomach holds the wheel in a turn. Which is all that was needed to do well in a race -- and he actually ends up doing quite well in the race after he died. NASCAR took offense at the scene since it seems to imply that there wasn't much skill involved in winning a race. I don't know how they ever got that idea Razz
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:42 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Finnegan wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty funny. Ultimately, I thought it would have a little more substance and "thick" humor as opposed to the cheap, one liners that are so prevalent with Will Ferrell comedies. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you've got nothing else to do it isn't a bad movie to see.

See, I thought that about Anchorman when I first saw it. But now after every viewing it just gets funnier and funnier.

I believe the same with this movie.