FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Best Horror Anthologies?
bschulte
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I started a similar thread a very long time ago over at THC, but I figured the new Dread Central could use one too. In that original thread, I asked readers to name the best short story or novella anthlogies they have read, and this can either be by one author (i.e. Nightmares & Dreamscapes by King) or a multi-author collection (i.e. Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural). SO I ask you, fellow DCers, what are your favorite horror anthologies of all time? Here is my humble contribution to the list:

The Dark Descent - To me, the best collection of horror stories ever assembled in one book. If you are just starting out with anthologies, get this first.

Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural - Similar to The Dark Descent in that it attempts to collect some of the greatest horror stories of all time, but the overlap between the two is surprisingly minimal, and the first edition of this book was originally published in 1944.

As for a collection by one author, my favorite is probably The Dunwich Horror and Others (The Arkham House hardcover) by H.P. Lovecraft.

Feel free to add to this list any anthology you feel is worth purchasing.
Tremblewick
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

For more modern contributions to the list, I suggest the following because they not only are fun to read but they've left their mark on the literary horror scene.
These are mentioned with regularity by horror writers and readers alike. I'm glad to have them on my shelf.

Skipp and Spector's "Book of the Dead", a collection of modern flesh-eating zombie tales collected from some of the best writers in the biz. I think this is the first such anthology in the sub-genre of the walking dead, and the finest in this reader's opinion. (out of print, may be difficult to locate. There was a second volume, if I recall, but I've never read it.)

King's earlier collections, namely "Night Shift" and "Skeleton Crew". The stories represent the entire field of horror, as you can find King playing with most every archetype in these stories. If you've never actually read them, you will find that some feel familiar, if you've seen "Cat's Eye", "Creepshow 2" or even "Graveyard Shift". The written works are not to be missed.

For gore hounds, the infamous "Splatterpunks", Volumes I and II, which strove to push the envelope of sexual and violent content. Not a must-have, but an interesting and vivid example of grue-for-grue's sake writing. Surprisingly, some of these stories have a fairly ethical tone to them, using man's inhumanity to man as a teaching tool. Others are simply rollercoaster rides of mutilation.

Finally, Clive Barker's "Books of Blood". These are now available in one volume, in fact I believe that it is easier to find the complete collection book. These are the works that made Barker such a powerful force in the horror world. If you sometimes find that Barker reads as a little too esoteric in his larger works (not a problem for me, but I've heard comments), you'll like these stories, as they are filled with his poetic sense of description will getting you straight into a story of pure nightmare.

Let me add my endorsement to the first list in this thread. If you don't have Poe, Blackwood, James, Machen and Lovecraft on your shelves, get to the bookstore or head over to Amazon.
bschulte
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Tremblewick,

Your last sentence reminded me to include:

Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe - Poe and Lovecraft are my two favorite American horror authors, and anyone interested in Poe will want to have this large 800+ page book, which is available pretty cheap even in the hardcover edition.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

I love the Hot Blooded Series. They all have great stories about sex and death. Including one of the best short stories ever by Ketchum and Lee. LOVE LETTERS FROM THE RAINFOREST.