FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Obliviou(s/n)
EvilAndy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm sure any of you freaks who have a 360 have played Oblivion, but if you're holding out on a decision to get one, you really should know that Oblivion is actually one of the best horror games I've played in a while...it's certainly not limited to horror elements, but the insanely dark and moddy dungeons and periodic visits to (basically) hell, coupled with the crazy demons, and shockingly frequent vampire meetings conspire to make Oblivion one of the better horror games I've played in a while.

I've put in about 90+ hours in, and only recently finished the main quest, and I doubt I've experienced half of what the game has to offer. It's basically a give up work, and irreparably harm your relationship type game; which is, IMO, the most positive endorsement one can offer...

-Andy
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:23 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

The game is like brain crack. I have 70+ hours in and have only done two of the main quests. Words alone cannot describe its goodness.
Cthulhu23
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote
Seeking the other 22 Cthulhus

Great game.Surely worth buying a 360 for Smile
Goo4reel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

get it
Mr. Green
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

wanna play so bad, but A. don't have cash for 360, and B. comp isn't good enough to run it Sad
Michelle Lee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

You are all stinky pants, loser brains and who'd wanna play your dumbass Oh-Bliv-Ee-Yon anyway... Weeping openly

God I'm a whiny bitch when it comes to this game eh?

Actually, I did get a precious 2-3 hours with this game at Rogueboy's house and as splendiferous as it was, I didn't manage to fully pick up on the whole bartering/buying system. Does it get easier because it was pretty annoying... regardless, I'm super stoked about the whole affair as if it weren't obvious from other posts.

The AI makes me giddy - I cannot wait to steal, and steal some more, and steal some more, and not get caught (whee!) and cripes the physics are eye popping, who needs this "real life" thing everyone else is so concerned with?

People are already advising Johnny NOT to allow the game into our house...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilAndy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ya, if you're already this stoked about the game after 2 hours of play, you may be wise to just let...it...go. Fugghedaboutit, it's really not thaaat good...really.

The bartering system is a bit wierd...it's not all that great, and frankly is a bit of a waste of time. Early on you're going to broke as a muthafucka no matter what you do, and later in the game you couldn't be broke if you tried. That said, the fact that they implemented such a complex bartering system THAT YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE, just goes to show how much content there is in this game.

The AI is pretty gross...my favorite moment so far was when I was booting through the countryside on a horse, and numerous monsters started chasing me. I could hear all kinds of different growling noises coming from behind me, but didn't know exactly what was back there. When I finally made it to the town, a bunch of guards and townspeople ran to my aid...I ended up watching 5 AI good guys fight another 5 AI baddies (a troll, bear, wolf and a couple of demons)...after this (in my mind) epic battle, I leisurely sidled over and picked the corpses clean.

The coolest thing about this game is that it's almost like reading...the best parts of the story happen in your imagination, with the game just providing the framework (like any good RPG I guess, but this one really works and doesn't impose too much by way of plot or character on you).

Anyway, nuff nerdage...just get it, you clearly need it.
-Andy
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:34 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Dude, I have about 70 hours of gameplay in the can and I still have only done two of the main story quests.

Oblivion is just unfuckingbelievable!
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Must....get.....<pulls out tin can> Donations?
Jack19
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:35 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I got this a few days ago and I am already addicted. The amount of depth and detail is simply ridiculous. People say Grand Theft Auto is open ended but it is nothing compared to this. You can do just about whatever you want. It is almost too much fun, because I am having trouble stoping my self from playing. Plus it looks fucking great.
MidnightWolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hehe, Having beaten all the major quest lines. *Le sigh,* I had some hel though, the player's guide! Eeeeep! >< But, I loved it and it's horror elements! There's nothing like a Dermora leaping out at you and bashing you from behind from the darkness. I just love slashing out in the dark because you can't see a thing! (Unless you're a Kajiit like me, where you get kitty-vision ^-^)
"Heh heh heh... No, it's not beef..."
*hungry, toothy, wolfy grin*
rogueboy138
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Lets just say i have not gotten back to playing this since I was visited inthe night by a vampire that turned me and I cannot go out inthe daytime with otu INSTANT death...

Not inthe mood to start over a new game- So i have been playing alot of Burnout and the Warriors and Guitar Hero...

tony
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:45 pm  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

You know there's a cure you can get, right?
Michelle Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:28 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

rogueboy138 wrote:
Lets just say i have not gotten back to playing this since I was visited inthe night by a vampire that turned me and I cannot go out inthe daytime with otu INSTANT death...

Not inthe mood to start over a new game- So i have been playing alot of Burnout and the Warriors and Guitar Hero...

tony

Then just give it to meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Your new roomie has a 360 too! You guys don't need two of them, lemme borrow it with Oblivion for a lil bit, I swear I'll give it back (when I'm done or when the Xbox360 fairy visits me), I'll cure your dude, get him buffed/twinked whatever, get him proper armor at least, prease for to letting me play? PREASE!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brainee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to get started on this soon. After playing Call of Cthulhu, I know exactly what type of character I'm in the mood for: a big warrior specializing in melee combat who kicks ass and takes names. No sneaking or long-range tactics for me -- I'm in the mood for a "run up to the enemy and stab them until they die" kind of approach. I'll probably end up with a similar character build as I had with Morrowind -- mostly sword melee, heavy armor, maybe with some combat-support magic (like healing, cures, flying, telekinesis).