FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Comics Comics Comics!
lostphrack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
I did my part. Ito is a completely under-appreciated master. Case in point: "Gyo."

I was originally holding off a bit, wasn't sure if there was new material if they were straight reprints of the Comicsone editions. Once I got a better idea of what the content was I kept putting it off for other reasons. Going to have to order them through my store now though. Hopefully sales will pick up and they'll be able to continue the series.

Hellboy rocks. There's another series I need to catch up on in TPB's, only have the first three at the moment. Good stuff though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I love Ito but didn't like GYO much.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

4th The Boys = AWESOME.
Nephlabobo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Did anyone read George Romero's Toe Tags?

How was it?
flashback
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Nephlabobo wrote:
Did anyone read George Romero's Toe Tags?

How was it?

it was enjoyable. romero did all right writing a comic book story.

zombies , they creep me out.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:19 am  Reply with quote

Wow. Anybody still else still reading "Walking Dead"? Rhetoric question, you do not just stop with great works like that. I just had to comment about the new issue (#34). At first it seemed a bit redundant with the escaped group fighting their way through the woods, with a little back story to one of the new characters. But the ending? I have to say that I in no way saw that coming. With Kirkman I honestly have no idea where this series is going to go now. There are so many options on the table. This has never been a comic where you could say that everything will end up the same at the end of the book, and this issue is great proof of that.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:35 am  Reply with quote

I've actually slacked off in my Walking Dead reading. I keep putting off buying volume 2 for some reason, which is odd since I really did enjoy the first one.

I picked up a copy of Mail vol. 1 the other day though. It's a Darkhorse horror manga that's.. not that scary. It's kind of funny actually. Almost a campy supernatural version of Golgo 13, but with ghosts instead of human targets. Akiba, the main character, is a detective who sees dead people, but unlike most folks he doesn't freak. He shoots them with his sacred gun and sends them on their way to the after life. The first volume's just a bunch of short stories of Akiba doing just that, though we do get an origin story at the end. Kind of corny/funny but enjoyable.

Also, in case anyone didn't hear about this..

The Boys got the axe. No final issue, no TPB. It's currently dead in the water. DC/Wildstorm had some issues with the content of the series and the hamster was apparently the last straw. On the upside, they are returning the rights of the series to Ennis and Robertson who will be allowed to take the series to another publisher (though not Marvel), so it'll probably turn up again and soon.

Newsarama has a full article here for those interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

lostphrack wrote:
The Boys got the axe. No final issue, no TPB. It's currently dead in the water. DC/Wildstorm had some issues with the content of the series and the hamster was apparently the last straw. On the upside, they are returning the rights of the series to Ennis and Robertson who will be allowed to take the series to another publisher (though not Marvel), so it'll probably turn up again and soon.

Newsarama has a full article here for those interested.

Damn, that kind of sucks. I did not really care about the entire gross-out factor the book was going for, but I liked the characters, I liked where the story was going, and just liked the book overall. (Hell, if anything I read the book despite of the gross-out stuff instead of for it). C'est la vie.

On a happier note, I picked up the first trades of "Fables" and "Ex Machina" this week. "Fables" is incredible and I am very enthused about reading more, I will get to "Ex Machina" later this weekend.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
Damn, that kind of sucks. I did not really care about the entire gross-out factor the book was going for, but I liked the characters, I liked where the story was going, and just liked the book overall. (Hell, if anything I read the book despite of the gross-out stuff instead of for it). C'est la vie.

Yeah well, don't feel too bad because..

The Boys Land at Dynamite Entertainment

Talk about a quick turn around time!

Quote:
On a happier note, I picked up the first trades of "Fables" and "Ex Machina" this week. "Fables" is incredible and I am very enthused about reading more, I will get to "Ex Machina" later this weekend.

I still haven't read either of those despite all the good things I've heard. I'm not sure what's keeping me away. I think part of it might be the huge amount of hype each has gotten, plus my plate's kind of full at the moment. Still, Ex Machina is definitely on my too try list at some point, if only for the art.[/url]
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

I finally got around to picking up Y, The Last Man.

Oh sweet Custer, why did I wait so long?!

In three days I went through up to issue 54. I just couldn't stop. But now I have to wait for the final issues to come out. *sigh* They will be worth the wait though. It's fantastic. Highly recommended.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

At the NYCC last week, Viz announced that they'll be re-releasing Uzumaki and Gyo in unflipped and unedited editions under their Viz Signature line.

Sadly, Dark Horse also confirmed that they have no plans to release the other Museum of Terror volumes. Soo.. poo on you Dark Horse, you'd best not drop the ball with MPD Psycho.
Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Check the front page more often for comic coverage. We are back on track with that now!
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

anyone know any online places to buy comics? no friggin stores around here with em, it suuuucks Sad
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I don't get the Walking Dead single issues i just wait for the paperbacks.

I just finished Civil War....wtf?

Anyone else dissapointed with the ending? As well as the demise of Cap?
pooflingerus
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
I don't get the Walking Dead single issues i just wait for the paperbacks.

I just finished Civil War....wtf?

Anyone else dissapointed with the ending? As well as the demise of Cap?

I dug the whole of Civil War but I did think the ending was a little weak cause it just seemed rushed. Either another issue or more pages could have helped but oh well. I love that they took down the Cap. Always thought he had to go, guess I can't break into the business with that story now Rolling Eyes