FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Rob Zombie's Halloween
Amethyst
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

I can't believe how excited i am over this movie. I was excited about it before it was announced properly, and now that Zombie's attached i couldn't be more happier with what they're doing. After the flop that was Halloween 8 it's nice to see that they've got a director and writer who has respect for the original masterpiece and want's to see it done right as much as the fans do.

Also the fact it's mainly set in 1978 is exciting. Can't see how he's gonna bring Laurie Strode into it as Jamie-Lee-Curtis seems a bit too old now to revist the classic Laurie look. And Dr. Loomis, well obviously Donald Pleasence is dead (RIP) so it would be hard to fit him back into it. Anyone got any thoughts?

As some other people have been saying, i was weary of a remake at first but now that Zombie is involved i'm a lot more confident about it. And from what he says it doesn't seem like it's going to be a proper remake, from what i can see i reckon the original film will only factor in properly towards the end of the film. Like he said, there's gonna be an overlap. I think he has too much respect for the original to go re-shooting the original scene for scene.

In regard to the title, although Rob says the title is going to be Halloween, i personally think they'll add a subtitle to it or something, since Rob's keen to show this isn't a remake it would seem logical they'd do something to seperate it, at least for marketing's sake.

I eagerly await october 2007!

Larusian!

John
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:52 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Add another notch to the 'I don't get the point' side of the scoreboard.

Zombie is a good filmmaker, Rejects proved that beyond any doubt.

Halloween is a good franchise, but a DEAD one. Michael Myers was killed, despite the elder Akkad's (rest his soul) attempts to resurrect him.

The world is in deep need for a new ubervillain.

Why in the world would you waste someone like Zombie by tying him down to at least some trappings of a now-dead slasher series? Is Michael Myers so interesting that there's something to reinvent? Zombie says it'll have nothing to do with the original series, so why call it Halloween to begin with?

Just give Zombie a budget and free rain to do a new iconic slasher movie in the VEIN of Halloween, rather than joining the endless, mindless parade of 'remake in name only' horror movies.
Amethyst
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Add another notch to the 'I don't get the point' side of the scoreboard.

Zombie is a good filmmaker, Rejects proved that beyond any doubt.

Halloween is a good franchise, but a DEAD one. Michael Myers was killed, despite the elder Akkad's (rest his soul) attempts to resurrect him.

The world is in deep need for a new ubervillain.

Why in the world would you waste someone like Zombie by tying him down to at least some trappings of a now-dead slasher series? Is Michael Myers so interesting that there's something to reinvent? Zombie says it'll have nothing to do with the original series, so why call it Halloween to begin with?

Just give Zombie a budget and free rain to do a new iconic slasher movie in the VEIN of Halloween, rather than joining the endless, mindless parade of 'remake in name only' horror movies.

Well i guess there's enough people out there who want more Halloween, i for one am one of them. Despite all the sequals being pretty damn sub-par i still enjoy watching them, with the exception of Halloween 8.

LONG LIVE MICHAEL MYERS!

Larusian!

John
Spiderbaby
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I loved "House of 1000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects" - this looks interesting...I wanna see what RZ can do with this.
Intheend
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Amethyst"]Also the fact it's mainly set in 1978 is exciting. Can't see how he's gonna bring Laurie Strode into it as Jamie-Lee-Curtis seems a bit too old now to revist the classic Laurie look. And Dr. Loomis, well obviously Donald Pleasence is dead (RIP) so it would be hard to fit him back into it. Anyone got any thoughts?
/quote]

I agree, it's going to be hard to fill those shoes. I can't really think of anyone to replace Jamie right now (need more coffee..lol), and Donald's (RIP) roll as Loomis was one of greatness.

If I could make a suggestion, How about Sid Haig in the roll of Dr. Loomis? I think it would be a perfect fit. Sid's career and achievements speeks for itself. What does everyone think?

Twisted Evil
Amethyst
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Intheend"]
Amethyst wrote:
Also the fact it's mainly set in 1978 is exciting. Can't see how he's gonna bring Laurie Strode into it as Jamie-Lee-Curtis seems a bit too old now to revist the classic Laurie look. And Dr. Loomis, well obviously Donald Pleasence is dead (RIP) so it would be hard to fit him back into it. Anyone got any thoughts?
/quote]

I agree, it's going to be hard to fill those shoes. I can't really think of anyone to replace Jamie right now (need more coffee..lol), and Donald's (RIP) roll as Loomis was one of greatness.

If I could make a suggestion, How about Sid Haig in the roll of Dr. Loomis? I think it would be a perfect fit. Sid's career and achievements speeks for itself. What does everyone think?

Twisted Evil

I suppose Sid Haig could fit Loomis quite well, and although i'd much much much prefer Rob not to bring back the character, since this is a re-imaging or whatever he's calling it, i guess it would be permissable to have someone else play Dr Loomis.

I reckon this film might go the way of Zombie's other films and become sleeper hits, not much recognition at the box office but huge with horror fans. Somewhat of a cult film. I see the original Halloween as a bit of a cult classic, though yes it is widely known about and a lot of people have seen it, it's a bit of a background film that people know is there but don't really pay attention to anymore. Halloween 8 was the first Hollywood Halloween IMO and it was shit, it had none of the flair of the previous 7. I think RZ's version is gonna bring back this flair, and re-instate the tension and fear that comes with the original Halloween film.

Christ did that make sense? Confused

Larusian!

John
doghead76
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't think too highly of RZ asa filmmaker.
I think what he basically did with both house of 1000 corpses and Devils rejects was to take movies that had already been made and "re-imagined them"...just as he wants to do with Halloween now...so, no, can't say I'm impressed or excited about it. I'd much , much rather see a straight sequel to the franchise, because there he can only succeed at makinga better prequel, as pretty much all sequels have really sucked , at least since the second halloween movie (maybe with the exception of H20)
plagiarize
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

i'm going to wait until i see more. i keep going back and forth on this.

really though it's going to come down to whether or not he gets michael right.

if his michael is out to kill his sister Laurie Strode, or acting on behalf of a cult... then i'll be really dissapointed.

my standards for Halloween sequels are low and simple. get Michael right:

motiveless and emotionless. just like he was in the original.
PrairieGhost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

I agree and I believe that's what we'll get....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amethyst
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Seconded. Zombie's already said he's disregarding all the sequals, so a emotionless, plain evil michael seems right on the cards.

Something that no one seems to have mentioned is in the original film we see Michaels Face, and in this scene he's portrayed by Tony Moran, so does anyone reckon we'll see him again?

doghead76 wrote:
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't think too highly of RZ asa filmmaker.
I think what he basically did with both house of 1000 corpses and Devils rejects was to take movies that had already been made and "re-imagined them"...just as he wants to do with Halloween now...

You do have a point, Zombie does wear his influences on his sleeve a lot in Corpses and Rejects, however they were his original characters etc, Halloween already has established characters, so i suppose his influences would probably only come through in a visual form.

Larusian!

John
the blade
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

I think they are gonna throw a curve ball at us. Put just enough to not alienate Michael fans but turn it into a new entity
MONSTER19
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

To be honest I am looking foreward to this reimage. Micheal Myers is due to be respected. He has gone downhill after just two movies. BRING HIM BACK! Bigger, Badder than ever. And of course with a better storyline, I dont need to see anymore rappers in movies. Twisted Evil
zombie2473
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Intheend"]
Amethyst wrote:
/quote]

Twisted Evil

Frank Darabont should play Loomis
plagiarize
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

my wife thinks Chris Eccleston should play Loomis.

i think no one should play loomis... but you can't really avoid it if you're taking this route.
zombie2473
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

If zombie keeps the role of loomis in the movie im sure he will try to get Sid Haig, as he seems to me like a tim burton type director who will constantly work with the same actors.