Bitches.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxDlDfbyLnw&mode=related&search=Jimmy%20Page
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:05 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Uh no sir...that would be ULI ROTH thank you.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

You, sir....

are retarded.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:41 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Actually sir, no I'm not hahaha.
I'm actually a retired and fairly well known metal guiatrist (at least that's the genre I'm known for) and know pretty much the ENTIRE Led Zep[pelin catalog.
You would be surprised at the times you THINK you are listening to Page play on those albums and it's actually not him. This is fact. I was lucky enough to get to know Bonzo's old tech (my drummer, also pretty well known got an old Bonham snare from him after he saw my drummers other band which was doing a Zep trib called Custard Pie here in the bay area)

I know my Zep bro.

Page, while a brilliant composer and producer was a very messy guitar player who couldn't always play what he wrote. This is a fact, not a judgement.

In fact there a zillion guitarists in bedrooms across the planet right now who smoke Page as a GUITARIST. True.

That said, do you KNOW who ULI ROTH is?
Desdinova
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Sorry, gents. . . Steve Vai owns 'em all ! Let the arguing ensue. Smile
The Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:32 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Actually Vai is a little "self congratulatory" in his style for me. And a little TOO shredmeister and forgets the listener at times. He is a genius though.

And we used to share the same guitar teacher (you can figure it out...)
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

The Butcher wrote:
Actually sir, no I'm not hahaha.
I'm actually a retired and fairly well known metal guiatrist (at least that's the genre I'm known for) and know pretty much the ENTIRE Led Zep[pelin catalog.
You would be surprised at the times you THINK you are listening to Page play on those albums and it's actually not him. This is fact. I was lucky enough to get to know Bonzo's old tech (my drummer, also pretty well known got an old Bonham snare from him after he saw my drummers other band which was doing a Zep trib called Custard Pie here in the bay area)

I know my Zep bro.

Page, while a brilliant composer and producer was a very messy guitar player who couldn't always play what he wrote. This is a fact, not a judgement.

In fact there a zillion guitarists in bedrooms across the planet right now who smoke Page as a GUITARIST. True.

That said, do you KNOW who ULI ROTH is?

LIES. ALL LIES!!!!

Alright, I know such a blunt statement as "greatest guitarist" openly welcomes dissent... and this is the best case yet presented to me... but I'm not going to change my stance because of it. He's my personal favorite, which makes him better than anybody else. Period.

Besides, I like sloppy playing. Steve Vai can suck an exhaust pipe.

That's why I've always had such a hard time with metal. Alot of times, it just seems the band's just trying too hard. Somehow, that's just not Rock & Roll to me. There should be alot of slip-ups, cracks, pops, & bleeps.

Never heard of Steve Ulro, admittedly, but I doubt it'll change my mind any. Who are you? Really. You've got my curiosity picqued now. "Fairly well known" could cover alot of ground.
dez
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:20 am  Reply with quote

Check out Uli Roth's work with the Scorpions - in particular the tracks Sails of Charon and Catch Your Train for brilliant examples of hard rock infused with a touch classical.

Personally, I prefer Eric Johnson, who can play any style to perfection with a feel that makes it seem completely off the cuff.

But Page wouldn't make my top 50 list. He could write some great songs (or rip off Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson , Ritchie Valens, etc without crediting them - unlike Clapton or Beck) and got a very unique sound as producer for LZ but he's a mess as a pure player (cool ideas though).
Sam Hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:53 am  Reply with quote

dez wrote:
(or rip off Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson , Ritchie Valens, etc without crediting them - unlike Clapton or Beck)

If you're going to use the phrase "rip off," there's no reason why those other two should be let off the hook. But I don't agree with the phrase "rip off" for any of them so it matters not.

The Butcher's comments echoes the one I made in the other guitarist thread. Page pushed the boundries of writing rock songs. The chord progressions he wrote have influenced more bands than I can count. His exhaustive recording practices set a new standard in making studio albums (only to be pushed further into anal territory by Boston's Tom Scholz).

But when it comes to performing the guitar live, more often than not, he was not at the top of the heap. There are performances where he's spot on, but they're few and far between.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Wait... you guys are talking about the guitarist from The Scorpions?

Heh.

Yeah.

Alright.
dez
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Sam Hell wrote:
dez wrote:
(or rip off Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson , Ritchie Valens, etc without crediting them - unlike Clapton or Beck)

If you're going to use the phrase "rip off," there's no reason why those other two should be let off the hook. But I don't agree with the phrase "rip off" for any of them so it matters not.

The Butcher's comments echoes the one I made in the other guitarist thread. Page pushed the boundries of writing rock songs. The chord progressions he wrote have influenced more bands than I can count. His exhaustive recording practices set a new standard in making studio albums (only to be pushed further into anal territory by Boston's Tom Scholz).

But when it comes to performing the guitar live, more often than not, he was not at the top of the heap. There are performances where he's spot on, but they're few and far between.

Beck and Clapton always credited their influences - and when they did their influences songs on records - say Beck doing You SHook Me or Clapton doing Crossroads - they gave the writer of the song credit on the record.

Page on the other hand credited himself with writing Howlin Wolf's Killing Floor and renamed it the Lemon Song, took Ritchie Valens Oh My Head and credited himself as author of Boogie With Stu. There are more examples, but the best evidence is the case that Willie Dixon won in court over this very problem.
dez
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

Heh.

Yeah.

Alright.

Did you know that Michael Schenker was the original lead guitarist for Scorpions (on their first record Lonesome Crow)? You know who Schenker is right? You've heard UFo and MSG?
Or that Ulrich Roth, who followed him, basically invented neoclassical rock guitar?

This was in the 70s on record like Fly To The Rainbow, Taken By Force, In Trance, Virgin Killer & Tokyo Tapes.

They were not the pop band that became huge in the 1980s with Matthias Jabs playing lead guitar (who is a great player, just not a hugely original or influential one). Listen to some of the records mentioned above- and, again, the songs Sails of Charon and Catch Your Train in particular - then tell me how good Page is.
Marduk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

If you guys think a rock/metal guitarist is going to be better than any of the classical or jazz greats then your all suffering from mild retardation. I dunno
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:39 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

dez wrote:
Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

Heh.

Yeah.

Alright.

Did you know that Michael Schenker was the original lead guitarist for Scorpions (on their first record Lonesome Crow)? You know who Schenker is right? You've heard UFo and MSG?
Or that Ulrich Roth, who followed him, basically invented neoclassical rock guitar?

This was in the 70s on record like Fly To The Rainbow, Taken By Force, In Trance, Virgin Killer & Tokyo Tapes.

They were not the pop band that became huge in the 1980s with Matthias Jabs playing lead guitar (who is a great player, just not a hugely original or influential one). Listen to some of the records mentioned above- and, again, the songs Sails of Charon and Catch Your Train in particular - then tell me how good Page is.

Thing is, I don't even give a shit about that particular strain of metal. If I get the chance, I may check it out, but I'm not going to go out of my way.