FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Sony PS3 limited abilities
theDrifter67
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:03 am  Reply with quote

Dont know if anyone posted something like this or not ,anyone seen this artical??? i think its B.S! if it happend

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sony11jul11,0,2061426.story?coll=la-home-headlines
ajburton29
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:50 am  Reply with quote

"Described as a method of copy protection by which the game system would verify a disc as legitimate, register the disc to that particular game console, then wipe out verification data so the disc would be rendered unreadable in other PlayStations."

Okay, so what happens if my PS3 breaks and I need a new one. Do I have to re-buy every game I own so it will play on the new PS3?
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 am  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
"Described as a method of copy protection by which the game system would verify a disc as legitimate, register the disc to that particular game console, then wipe out verification data so the disc would be rendered unreadable in other PlayStations."

Okay, so what happens if my PS3 breaks and I need a new one. Do I have to re-buy every game I own so it will play on the new PS3?

But what are the chances of a Sony system ever breaking?
ThatOneGuy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:11 am  Reply with quote

While they do hold a patent on technology that would allow them to implement this, it's highly unlikely that they will.

Oh my. Uncle Creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I was told by a friend that beta-tests PS games that it was only being considered for the PS3, but it seems like the talk is intensifying about it.

If they do go through with it, I could not in any good conscious invest in anything from Sony then. I'm getting sick of all of these companies using piracy as a reasoning to drive the second-run market out of business and drive up their profits.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:

I wonder if the geniuses at SONY have even thought of that...Point black, this is one of the dumbest ways to curb pirating I've ever seen...So you cant't bring the game to a friend's house?...You can't rent?...Sell back unwanted games?...There's a shit-load of businesses that would probably have a hard time accepting this.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

I honestly doubt it will be implemented. It is stupid, they have to know that it would get out and be incredibly bad press, and finally, I would like to think that despite their talk they are really not as smug as they appear. The Playstation brand name will be enough to jump them over many hurdles, including difficulty in programming, lack of launch software, and I am even willing to bet to a large extent ludicrous pricing. But again, I believe it only goes so far and they know it. Not only does it ruin those markets mentioned, I think the very real possiility of a PS3 breaking is of great concern. Sony must know their own track record on shotty merchandise. And they also must know that reason #1 people go back and buy new PS systems after their first broke is probably so they can keep playing the games in which they have invested.

At this point it is probably just one of hundreds if not thousands of ideas they tossed around, got patented, and then just kind of gave up on.