FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Battlestar Galactica
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Just watched the "Battlestar Galactica Frakking Special"

I loved in their closing interviews when they talked about what the show ment to them, James Callis (Baltar) said that to him the show meant kissing Trisha Helfer again, again, again, and again. Yeah..... Wink

I sure am gonna miss this show........it's really the only good show I watch....the only show I look forward to with the "Oh, what's gonna happen this week." Weeping openly

Well, hopefully it won't be long before Dexter & True Blood start back up. Not that either of them are Galactica's equal.....but they're enjoyable.
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Pins and needles....pins and needles I tell you! Your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell!

Man the last time I remember being this excited, nervous, and sad was sitting in front of the movie theater at 5am for Revenge of the Sith.

Oh yeah, I saw a clip with Baltar pointing a gun......does he volunteer at the last second? I need to know these things!!!!!!! Arrrrrhhhhhhh!!
ECW! ECW! ECW!
a few more hours.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:51 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Loved the finale. Epic, emotional and a nice blend of science and theology to explain all the complex prophecies on the show.

Man, I'm gonna miss this show.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/03/battlestar_galactica_ronald_d.html

Quote:
Q: This was a very dark, very bleak show, that had, for the most part, a happy ending. Were you ever tempted to go the dark way? Why did you decide to end it the way you did tonally?

MOORE: I guess I always assumed it was going to end on some sort of note of salvation -- that they would find a home and be okay, at least some of them. I didn't want to end the series like "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," with the destruction of everybody. Although that's what Eddie wanted to do. Eddie kept pitching me that they come to Earth in contemporary times, and everyone's cheering and happy, and cut to the White House and the President goes, "Nuke 'em!" And they destroy Galactica -- cut to credits. And people say I'm dark!

Holy shit that's funny!
Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:58 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

From the perspective of someone who only watched casually, I could have done without the Lord of the Rings ending, but I get that it was for the fans so everything was tied up. The END end though was a bit silly.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I could've done without the Angel Baltar speech in the last scene, which was about as subtle as a chainsaw, but everything else was beautifully handled.
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a reveiw from Devin Faraci:

I do not believe in God. I'm not against possibly being proven there is a God, but the current evidence at my disposal leads me to the same conclusion I have come to about fairies, boggarts, and compassionate conservatives: they do not exist.

That said I still do experience spirituality, that feeling that there's more to reality than what I can physically touch and see. And once or twice I have experienced things that could be construed as religious. Having thirty seconds with Martin Scorsese after a press conference there was one thing I wanted to tell him, and one thing only: "If church made me feel the way The Last Temptation of Christ makes me feel, I'd be there every Sunday." He was pretty happy to hear that.

The finale of Battlestar Galactica didn't quite bring me to that level, but there was a scene at the end, where Baltar giving Caprica Six access to the Twelve Colonies' defense mainframe was simultaneously recast as an act of love and as a moment integral to the plan of God, that I felt that spirituality hit me. That horrible betrayal was billions of times worse than what Judas did to Jesus, but just as important. But unlike Judas, Baltar was able to experience the grace and redemption of God, and it was a beautiful moment, possibly one of the most uplifting in recent television history.

I won't say that the finale was flawless - there was stuff that didn't work and things that felt rushed (I would have liked to see Adama allow the fleet to decide what to do once they had found the new Earth. A rousing vote of agreement would have been completely moving and would have made this epochal decision feel democratic, and not just the whim of Lee. I do believe the show set up the reasoning for why such a measure would have passed, I just would have liked to have seen it happen), and the ending was a touch on the nose - but Ron Moore and his team brought disparate elements together with unexpected elegance. Character arcs paid off brilliantly and emotional beats were solid and honest and never heavy handed. And the show ended not with a bang or a cheer but a slow winding down, a peacefulness that was unlike any series finale I can remember. When they found New Earth and the show still had 45 minutes left, I wondered what the hell could be coming next: another twist? Another final showdown? No, just a slow relaxing, an almost quiet letting go.

But Moore doesn't fully let go at the end. While the last scene - 150,000 years in the future, aka modern day Earth - is glaringly message oriented, with Head Baltar and Head Six reading over Moore's shoulder about Mitochondrial Eve (aka Hera) as robots dance on TV screens to All Along the Watchtower and everybody discusses the cyclical nature of reality, it's also intriguing in ways that the show never had been before. All of a sudden I wish this wasn't the end but a transition to a new show, one about God. Because the theology that Moore explicates here in this little exchange feels strange and modern and intriguing. It posits a God for whom the term God is ill-fitting (and one He doesn't like), but why? Is it because He's not all-knowing and all-powerful? Is it because it's as descriptive as calling a human being Meat? And what does it mean that this God keeps allowing - or setting into motion - the same events again and again? Is it that God doesn't know how to break the cycle that the final Colonials tried to break by going eternally camping? Or is it all about free will? Maybe this God - or whatever you would call it - just believes in humanity so very much that He's willing to let us keep trying again and again until we finally get it right all on our own.

And I like that. That's something I kind of wish had been sprinkled through the show a little more. There was some talk about the nature of God, but in the end Moore while comes down solidly on the side of His existance and His involvement in our lives, he leaves these other philosophical questions hanging. And because the final moments have big Messages in them, I think this aspect could be ignored in favor of talking about robots and from where Bob Dylan gets his songs. A perfect world would have Ron Moore and novelist Christopher Moore (there's no relation... as far as I know), author of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, one of the finest religious books I have ever read, getting together and following Head Six and Baltar down the street and back to whoever employs them. Getting to the next level.

When all of the God stuff came into the show, I hated it. I felt it didn't belong in a science fiction show that was about the nature of man and politics and war. It felt like a fantasy component. And, in many ways, it is. But Moore was smart in how he doled it out - it isn't until everything is truly fucked, until Chief has broken the link and the errant Raptor has fired nukes, that God steps in and really does something. It was the one thing that He miraculously set in motion earlier, the one place where He really got into the middle of it (even the opera house stuff was more portent than anything - I think by the end Six and Baltar would have followed Hera because that was the mission, and in fact it wasn't until right when they got to CIC that they realized what it all meant). And while the God stuff comes down pretty hard, it comes down satisfyingly. God wasn't there walking everybody through everything - a lot of bad stuff happened, and a lot of people died, and a lot of bad choices got made - but He was there at the exact moment when He needed to be. That's hopeful, and not a cheat. I don't believe it any more than I believe in the Twelve Colonies, but it still resonates.

There's more about God that we could talk about - Baltar's sublime character arc that makes him a saint (and like all the best saints, he began as very much a sinner), and the way that Cylons were right but so very wrong at the same time - but that's for a book. I look forward to someone with a real degree in Theology, who will know the works of various religious thinkers, sitting down with the whole of Battlestar Galactica and finding the deeper religious meanings. I'll buy that book.

For a little while at the end I thought Battlestar had lost the way. I was at the point where I was skipping weeks, catching up on episodes in big huge chunks. Like the members of that ragtag fleet, I had lost hope. But at the end it all started coming together; while everybody else seems to have hated the last few episodes I got caught up again after the mutiny. I began to see that things were shaping up, and they did, often in unexpected ways (or, in the case of the Colonials being Ancient Astronauts, ways that were so expected as to be back to unexpected again). And by the end things had paid off. I don't think the show was perfect, but the flaws came from where Moore and his team took chances and stretched themselves. They made storytelling decisions that were guaranteed to be unpopular, and occasionally exploded in their faces. But that's what real art is about - not about getting it perfect but trying to get it right. I like that the show had the balls to go with big science fiction ideas as well as big theological ones. I like that they were unafraid to look silly. I like that they were unafraid to be earnest. I like that they pulled it off.
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

This final season, me and several friends always got together to watch the show. Some began to loose faith in the show, me not so much, but I did begin to wonder "where the hell are they going with this?" The mutiny was too short lived.

I think the biggest complaint I heard last night was "Aw man, they went all Return of the Jedi on us." Of course he was talking about the lack of main character deaths. Roslynn didn't count because she was dying the entire series (with the exception of her temp cure).

I liked the way Terrel snapped, then snapped Tori's neck. Smile
I liked the way Cavil just gave up and blew his own brains out. Laughing
I liked the way the final battle played, I say it was better than any Star Wars or Star Trek battle....Ever!

I didn't like ...............

The only real thing I had a problem with was EVERY one agreed to stay on Earth with no technology. Rolling Eyes Yeah right. Not me, I'd have been like send me with the frakking Cylons! Oh, and we don't get to keep any of our guns either!?! Did you not just see those dudes walking around with spears and $hit? Hunt for food, look man the closest I've ever come to hunting was standing in the Galactica chow line hoping Racetrac didn't take the last danish.

Some of those blowhards never worked a hard day in their lives. Hell, I hope one of the Galactica telemovies or DVD's they do is based on what happens to them after being stranded on Earth. See how many die off quickly whether it be from mutiny, starvation, animals, or Earth's original humans. Wink

One of the things I would have liked to seen was Helo & Sharon telling Adama that Boomer paid him in full.

I loved Baltar. Baltar is and will always be THE MAN!

My fridays will be empty now......nothing "SyFy" previewed really caught my interest. I'll give Caprica a try, but I'm not optimistic (could be wrong though) Cool
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Guess BABYLON 5 is still the high watermark for epic sci-fi television. Good riddance to this remake wankery. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
Guess BABYLON 5 is still the high watermark for epic sci-fi television. Good riddance to this remake wankery. Rolling Eyes

Sorry about your bad taste.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I must admit I got a bit teary-eyed during the finale. So Kara was a ghost? I wasn't expecting that.

That preview of Caprica looked pretty interesting. Hopefully it's just as engaging as Galactica was.
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Rottenjesus wrote:

I love how ironic that is coming from you. Cheers! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoeDarkfall
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:18 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
I must admit I got a bit teary-eyed during the finale. So Kara was a ghost? I wasn't expecting that.

That preview of Caprica looked pretty interesting. Hopefully it's just as engaging as Galactica was.

Na, I think she was an Angel. Ghosts wouldn't be able to physically interact with things, not like she did.

Regarding B5..........Hey, I enjoyed it while it was around but when the end came it was more of a relief than anything. When it went off the air I didn't miss it. Firefly I missed as I will Galactica.

I really hope the New Star Wars live action show can at least keep pace with those three shows (Galactica, Firefly, & Babylon 5)
rjschwarz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:46 am  Reply with quote

I loved Razer and the Mutiny episode and the first half of the final ep but most of the rest of those two seasons seemed too soap opera-ish. Too much of who is dating who and the baby, the baby.

I loved Babylon 5 but felt the final season damaged the whole. I think the same thing happend with Galactica as well. It was still mostly enjoyable because of the characters and the look and feel but the plots did nothing for me.

Now we're getting a two-hour movie about the end of the colonies from the cylon point of view? Do we really want their point of view? The more I learned about the cylons the less interesting things became. From terrifying killing machines to allies far too quickly.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Rottenjesus wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Rottenjesus wrote:

I love how ironic that is coming from you. Cheers! Mr. Green

The irony is that you think it's ironic that I enjoy a great show like BG while you don't and then think it's ironic that I point out your bad taste.