FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> The people reasponsible for the death of Scream
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
It's a sequel to a movie that a lot of horror fans don't like, and a LOT of horror fans blame it for "ruining" horror during the 90s. .

To say it ruined horror in the 90's is a bit of an overstatement, considering it probably ushered back horror to the key teen demo with a level of success that no one in the early 90's could have foreseen. While it may have let lose some rather shit slashers into theaters, its massive success undoubtedly unleashed funding for scores of horror films--some horrifically awful, some just horrific--which never would have been made otherwise.

Here's a question. Without Scream, what would have horror have looked like in late 90s/early 00's? I can't imagine in the absence of Scream it would have been improved.
horrorlord
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I want to make it clear that when I said the sequel's to the franchise's should be supported over an original movie I was talking about film's like Insidious and what ever else the film maker's come out with around that given time.I wasn't talking about supporting one Nightmare on elm street over the other or Friday the 13th or Scream over the other because that doesn't make sense because they aren't released at the same time.I think sequel's and rebbots deserve as much respect as the previous films in there respected franchise's.No more and no less.For the person who replied that i must be a teenager iam not.Im 31 years old and i loved the original films to the franchise,s,but on the flip side I want to see these franchise's live out through the year's.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

horrorlord wrote:
I want to make it clear that when I said the sequel's to the franchise's should be supported over an original movie I was talking about film's like Insidious and what ever else the film maker's come out with around that given time.I wasn't talking about supporting one Nightmare on elm street over the other or Friday the 13th or Scream over the other because that doesn't make sense because they aren't released at the same time.I think sequel's and rebbots deserve as much respect as the previous films in there respected franchise's.No more and no less.For the person who replied that i must be a teenager iam not.Im 31 years old and i loved the original films to the franchise,s,but on the flip side I want to see these franchise's live out through the year's.

Yes, let's see the same movies OVER and OVER again, without anything new! Let's support sequels and remakes, even though the vast majority of them are garbage and only bank on the fact that fans of the original will see it regardless of quality! I mean, why bother seeking out movies that push the genre forward and try new things when we can just watch the same old crap repackaged over and over again!

The original Nightmare On Elm Street took a formula that was beginning to get stale and added a twist to it. It took a risk and tried something new. On the other hand, the remake just took something that was already proven to work (meaning there was no risk involved and they just played it safe), and somehow, 20 years later with a bigger budget and more people involved, they managed to make a movie LESS creative or inventive than the original.

So what you're saying is that we should give money to hacks who piggy-back off of the creativity and hard work of others? No thanks.
horrorlord
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Im saying if a person has only enough money to see one film then yes it should go to the major franchises.Thats what i would do.I would then see the newer film when it comes out on dvd.I have a collection of over 400 dvds so i get to see them all,but my favorites out of all of them are the halloween,friday the 13th,nightmare on elm street franchises original movies and there remakes.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 am  Reply with quote

horrorlord wrote:
Im saying if a person has only enough money to see one film then yes it should go to the major franchises.Thats what i would do.I would then see the newer film when it comes out on dvd.I have a collection of over 400 dvds so i get to see them all,but my favorites out of all of them are the halloween,friday the 13th,nightmare on elm street franchises original movies and there remakes.

I know what you're saying. I just don't agree, and I find your mindset harmful to the genre.
horrorlord
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Wow nonserviam03.Even though I don't aggree with your opinion I have to give you alot of credit because you clearly have alot of passion for horror and that's something that's more important than any subject in the genre because without people like us every horror topics would be a non issue because there wouldn't be none.I want to thank you for sticking with this post.It really showed me your determination and if there's one thing im sure you can aggree with me on is that there needs to be more fans that feel's strongly about there believe's of what's best for the genre the same way we do.The main reason I brought up this topic other than the obvious that im loyal to the flag ship franchise's is that im worried that if one of those franchise's was to fade away from not enough people wanting to see them that the passion I have had since I was a kid will fade with them.Tho se franchises watching them when I was a kid is what created my passion for horror to begin with and I guess ill just have to hope people keep turni ning out and you'll have to keep doing the same for the film's you like most.Well have a good day.
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

horrorlord wrote:

This is what's wrong with society these days. Not poor choice in films, but an inability to understand how to use an apostrophe. I mean, lordy-lou, how hard can it be?
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

horrorlord wrote:
I think sequel's and rebbots deserve as much respect as the previous films in there respected franchise's.

To quote Judd from Pet Semetary, "Christ on his Throne NO!!!"
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

I think what horrorlord is basically sayin' is robots (rebbots?) are slowly taking over or something like that. Fair enough...
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Legba, get ahold of me! I'm on facebook!
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Richard, I can't find you on there. Send me your url or something in the PM's here.
Billz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

horrorlord wrote:
For the person who replied that i must be a teenager iam not.Im 31 years old

Well, you spell and write like a teenager. If your avatar is a self portrait then you certainly look like a teenager.

Writes like a duck, looks like a duck...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

After finally seeing Insidious, I'm VERY happy that it made way more money than Scream 4. It's a much better movie, and at the end of the day that's the only thing that matters.
Grim Hideous
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

The funny thing is, most horror movies do suck, originals and remakes alike.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

Grim Hideous wrote:
The funny thing is, most horror movies do suck, originals and remakes alike.

Honestly, you could probably even take the word "horror" out of that sentence.