FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Insidious *SPOILERS*
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Ok, so I was thoroughly creeped out by Insidious. I've got to give credit to Wan for not overexposing the demon thus taking away it's scare factor. The only thing that irked me was the father's decision to face his fears in the spirit world when he knew time was of the essence and there was a red-faced demon on their asses. I also don't know how one can become fatigued in spirit form.

All in all, I think I liked Insidious more than PA 1&2.
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Although I felt that it was closely bordering on becoming "Jump Scare: The Movie!!!," for the first 2/3 I was actually with the film, and found it to be an above-average haunting film. Sure, it was no changeling or the haunting, but it went about its business efficiently and some verve. Then,

SPOILER! SHARK ALARM!

x
x
x
x
they start discussing astral projecting, we end up in a film student's mash up of david lynch and kruger's layer from new nightmare, and the film goes very, very wrong....

x
x
x
x
Regardless, though, I think the first 2/3 really has some merit before wan and co shit the bed.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

*SHIELDS EYES FROM ABOVE COMMENTS TO AVOID SPOILERS*

Gotta wonder why there's no review of this up yet. I know Uncle Creepy saw it, because he tweeted about it.

edit: nevermind... I guess it was just one of those reviews that was posted months before the movie came out
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:06 am  Reply with quote

NYC-Hearts wrote:
Although I felt that it was closely bordering on becoming "Jump Scare: The Movie!!!," for the first 2/3 I was actually with the film, and found it to be an above-average haunting film. Sure, it was no changeling or the haunting, but it went about its business efficiently and some verve. Then,

SPOILER! SHARK ALARM!

x
x
x
x
they start discussing astral projecting, we end up in a film student's mash up of david lynch and kruger's layer from new nightmare, and the film goes very, very wrong....

x
x
x
x
Regardless, though, I think the first 2/3 really has some merit before wan and co shit the bed.

I didn't consider that sequence Lynchian at all. Creepy? Yes. I did get a strong New Nightmare vibe like you said though regarding the lair. It didn't bother me though because I thought it was a fitting dwelling for a demon. It's funny, film-goers can be very jaded when it comes to movies of this kind (myself included) and yet, surprisingly enough, Insidious had a far greater effect on me than the Paranormal Activity flicks. I actually felt pretty nervous when I got back to my house. It's definitely the most difficult sub-genre for a filmmaker to succeed in when so many before them have raised the bar so high.
NYC-Hearts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
NYC-Hearts wrote:

SPOILER! SHARK ALARM!

x
x
x
x

x
x
x
x

I didn't consider that sequence Lynchian at all. Creepy? Yes. I did get a strong New Nightmare vibe like you said though regarding the lair. It didn't bother me though because I thought it was a fitting dwelling for a demon. It's funny, film-goers can be very jaded when it comes to movies of this kind (myself included) and yet, surprisingly enough, Insidious had a far greater effect on me than the Paranormal Activity flicks. I actually felt pretty nervous when I got back to my house. It's definitely the most difficult sub-genre for a filmmaker to succeed in when so many before them have raised the bar so high.

YET ANOTHER SHARK ALARM/SPOILER

X
X
X
X
I don't know; I definitely got a psuedo-sub-lynchian vibe when he's walking through the house, with the family, the woman crying in the corner, etc. Then, he goes to the New New Nighmare. My gf said the lair was a actually combination of New Nightmare and City of Lost Children, which I've never seen, unfortunately.
x
x
x

While I have issues with the final third, I do agree that it was a better than average spook show. Despite the flaws, and the wonkiness of the explanation, the genre really needs more films like this. At times--especially in first 2/3--it really effectively captured that instantaneous, momentary fear one sometimes experiences when in a apartment/house, at night, and, out of the corner of your eye, you think you see something.

And while I like the PA films, and appreciate what they try to do, I will probably pick up Insidious when it comes out on DVD, something I've never remotely considered for the PAs. The combination of good jump scares, some interesting imagery, very solid acting from all involved, and, yes, even the out there, 70's throwback explanation, should provide far more "re-watchability" than the PAs. Is it the Changeling? No. But it's obviously stayed with me enough that now 5% of my posts since I joined DC in 1/07 have been about this film Wink
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 am  Reply with quote

I should have mentioned how great Whannel and Sampson were as the ghost hunter nerds! Laughing It's also always a pleasure to see Lynn Shaye in a genre film again. That scene where she's describing the demon was probably one of the most uncomfortable scenes in the movie for me to watch. I thought she really stole the show.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

A gigantic ball of "meh". It was about as scary as an episode of Buffy. And the demon looked like Darth Maul in a devil costume. Don't get me started on the fight Josh has with the demonic bouncer either.

My girlfriend was scared but she doesn't watch a whole lot of horror films so that as to be expected.

The acting was decent which makes sense due to the cast.

Definitely nowhere near as good or effective as Paranormal Activity.
voorheesville
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 am  Reply with quote

so was the first house they lived in haunted or not? that was a little confusing but it didn't bother me much. I was just curious if anyone else felt the same.

I'm a little late to the party, only saw the film tonight right before it vanished from theaters. I thought it was really great.

It's nice to see Barbra Hershey back in films too. She was good in this and Black Swan. All of the actors were great in this film.

*****************SPOILER ALERT YEAH****************************
Soo many great things about this film that I liked. I thought the pacing was excellent. That red demon scared the piss out of me for sure! The scene when he's directly behind Josh in broad daylight, yeah that's when I shart in my pants. Oh yeah, saw this in the theater tonight by myself, a 9:45 showing probably the last run before it leaves my town too.

I agree with NYC-Hearts on the Lynchian thing but I only got that feeling for a second or two and then it passed. I think Wan created something really original that will/should stand up over time.