FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> 13 Assassins!
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

Takashi Miike just raised the fucking bar for samurai epics! It's his most mature film to date, and it features the craziest, most badass final battle sequence of any film of it's kind. You owe it to yourself to check this one out. I can't wait till I can catch it on the big screen!
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 am  Reply with quote

This one looks good, and I've never been a big Takashi fan.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Yes, it's understandable how a majority of his work can be off-putting. 13 Assassins is his most restrained film I think. It's far from the whacky gruesomeness of Ichi the Killer, or the bizarre sex comedy known as Gozu. As funny as this sounds, you can actually watch this film with your parents without having to be embarrassed or receiving disgusted looks! Laughing
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Yes, it's understandable how a majority of his work can be off-putting. 13 Assassins is his most restrained film I think. It's far from the whacky gruesomeness of Ichi the Killer, or the bizarre sex comedy known as Gozu. As funny as this sounds, you can actually watch this film with your parents without having to be embarrassed or receiving disgusted looks! Laughing

To me, Audition was really overhyped and I found it kind of a let down, and then I checked out Ichi, and I enjoyed it more, but not enough for me to really care to seek out anything else by him. I meant to check out his take on Zatoichi, but I think I just forgot to.

But I'm a big Kurosawa fan, so Samurai movies are always something I'm interested in seeing.