Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> I change my opinion about a change on DC
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Butcher wrote:
Tristan Sinns wrote:
I are flattered that my opinions matter!

Not to overly drop FanGirlTastic, but honestly we've had a pretty good posting population for awhile. Maybe 20-30 posts a day? Something like that.

That's because chicks love to blab it up.

Well, that's only in between all of the hot lesbian sex, of course.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:51 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Tristan Sinns wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Tristan Sinns wrote:
I are flattered that my opinions matter!

Not to overly drop FanGirlTastic, but honestly we've had a pretty good posting population for awhile. Maybe 20-30 posts a day? Something like that.

That's because chicks love to blab it up.

Well, that's only in between all of the hot lesbian sex, of course.

And pillow fights.

Sweet, sexy pillow fights.
Jon Condit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:02 am  Reply with quote

doubleh55 wrote:
I see where you can leave comments now. The obvious question to ask, though, is how little money do the Dread Central guys actually make through the site? I've never seen so many money making links on one page than here. For example this is everything you see on the Rare Exports review page.

1. An Orbit gum banner that gets really big if you accidentally put your curser over it.
2. Underneath it is another giant Orbit gum ad.
3. Throughout the whole page we get Daily Deals and ways to connect through Meebo
4. Then on the right you get "More Things You Might Like" (which btw, nobody here might like) and it's all just weird stories and top ten lists nobody can possibly care about that takes up a giant portion of the screen.
5. The DC Tweets
6. Near the bottom ANOTHER giant Orbit gum ad
7. Login required for Meebo and then some Meebo comments.
8. FINALLY people's thoughts show up

I really understand the need to make money but can you get those things way less intrusive. I can't possibly be the only person to complain about this.

1 and 2 these are standard ad sizes and placements found on more than 95% of sites online.

3 we dont do daily deals or place meebo widgets in the page like you are talking about. if by daily deals you are talking about the Buy It on Amazon buttons people use those very often.

4 not that our internal numbers are of any use to you but a LOT of people click those links.

PLUS if you failed to notice you can hide BOTH 4 and 5 in your user settings. I took the liberty of turning of both those blocks for you.

6 is the same as 1 and 2 and honestly we still have LESS ads than most news sites

7 is actually part of the commenting system you claim you could not find. people don't like having to register for a site just to comment. they prefer being able to use an existing account when given the option.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Jon Condit wrote:
doubleh55 wrote:
I see where you can leave comments now. The obvious question to ask, though, is how little money do the Dread Central guys actually make through the site? I've never seen so many money making links on one page than here. For example this is everything you see on the Rare Exports review page.

1. An Orbit gum banner that gets really big if you accidentally put your curser over it.
2. Underneath it is another giant Orbit gum ad.
3. Throughout the whole page we get Daily Deals and ways to connect through Meebo
4. Then on the right you get "More Things You Might Like" (which btw, nobody here might like) and it's all just weird stories and top ten lists nobody can possibly care about that takes up a giant portion of the screen.
5. The DC Tweets
6. Near the bottom ANOTHER giant Orbit gum ad
7. Login required for Meebo and then some Meebo comments.
8. FINALLY people's thoughts show up

I really understand the need to make money but can you get those things way less intrusive. I can't possibly be the only person to complain about this.

1 and 2 these are standard ad sizes and placements found on more than 95% of sites online.

3 we dont do daily deals or place meebo widgets in the page like you are talking about. if by daily deals you are talking about the Buy It on Amazon buttons people use those very often.

4 not that our internal numbers are of any use to you but a LOT of people click those links.

PLUS if you failed to notice you can hide BOTH 4 and 5 in your user settings. I took the liberty of turning of both those blocks for you.

6 is the same as 1 and 2 and honestly we still have LESS ads than most news sites

7 is actually part of the commenting system you claim you could not find. people don't like having to register for a site just to comment. they prefer being able to use an existing account when given the option.

I love how people complain about stuff that they get for free. Ads aren't that distracting, yet people talk about them like they jumped off the screen and kicked them in the nuts.

My favorite is this thing that people keep reposting on youtube bitching about Vevo which not only complains about ads, but ALSO has the audacity to bitch and moan about youtube taking down videos that have illegaly-posted copyrighted content.
dougevil
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:15 am  Reply with quote

Hey, I know I am the new guy on the staff, but I really want to encourage people to talk. That's why I try to include a question to talk about in my stories. The comments section is there for you to use. And there is always the message board. The site can be as social as you make it.

What suggestions do you have? This will sound sarcastic but...is there a magic bullet that you see that will get people talking and taking advantage of what we have?