FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> I change my opinion about a change on DC
doubleh55
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I change my mind. I think DC should go back to being able to comment on news stories. It seems like the moment that they stopped doing that, the message board became a wasteland. Where did all the DC fans go? Where is Floyd and DISC? It feels like everybody left.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 pm  Reply with quote

You can comment on news stories but it's buried under a bunch of social networking shit and ads.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

^^

Plus - if you are not logged in for any reason, the entire comment interface (including existing comments) are hidden from you. I'm not sure why the comments can't be read if you're logged out.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Legba
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

ALL message boards are pretty much waste lands nowadays. I'd like to see a link to any message board where an actual productive discussion incurs? This is especially true of the 'genre' related boards. Just browse around. Try something like gorezone (a magazine where actual analyse was part of the equation seemingly eons ago). It's all about 'sensationalized' opinions where the louder you crow the more attention you generate. Seriously, those in need of a laugh just browse around. It's not even worthy of the analogy of 'graveyard' which would infer a level of 'magic.' The fact that someone would be here wanting a Floyd and DISC to resume their war of words to somehow generate more attention is not only ironic, but sorta like covering a flesh wound with a bandaid.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Message boards kind of became history the moment social networking sites popped up.

Before places like myspace and facebook, message boards were the only avenue we had on the internet to discuss our passion and love for horror flicks.

Now though, I've added who I've wanted to talk to through the boards, and no longer need to come on here to find out what Tristan thinks of new movie. I just go on his facebook page and see, and either comment, or don't.

That's my theory.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:12 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I are flattered that my opinions matter!

Not to overly drop FanGirlTastic, but honestly we've had a pretty good posting population for awhile. Maybe 20-30 posts a day? Something like that.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
GJW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I just want the DC icon back in the addy bar instead of the generic "E". I have a pet peeve about having a clean looking "favorites" section. Any site without an icon doesn't get added. I wanna put DC back under my favs!! LOL
doubleh55
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I see where you can leave comments now. The obvious question to ask, though, is how little money do the Dread Central guys actually make through the site? I've never seen so many money making links on one page than here. For example this is everything you see on the Rare Exports review page.

1. An Orbit gum banner that gets really big if you accidentally put your curser over it.
2. Underneath it is another giant Orbit gum ad.
3. Throughout the whole page we get Daily Deals and ways to connect through Meebo
4. Then on the right you get "More Things You Might Like" (which btw, nobody here might like) and it's all just weird stories and top ten lists nobody can possibly care about that takes up a giant portion of the screen.
5. The DC Tweets
6. Near the bottom ANOTHER giant Orbit gum ad
7. Login required for Meebo and then some Meebo comments.
8. FINALLY people's thoughts show up

I really understand the need to make money but can you get those things way less intrusive. I can't possibly be the only person to complain about this.
doubleh55
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

OK, so I discovered that if I lower the size of the font page, things are much more manageable.
Billz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Bloody Disgusting is alive and kicking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm  Reply with quote

doubleh55 wrote:
I see where you can leave comments now. The obvious question to ask, though, is how little money do the Dread Central guys actually make through the site? I've never seen so many money making links on one page than here. For example this is everything you see on the Rare Exports review page.

1. An Orbit gum banner that gets really big if you accidentally put your curser over it.
3. Throughout the whole page we get Daily Deals and ways to connect through Meebo
4. Then on the right you get "More Things You Might Like" (which btw, nobody here might like) and it's all just weird stories and top ten lists nobody can possibly care about that takes up a giant portion of the screen.
5. The DC Tweets

I really understand the need to make money but can you get those things way less intrusive. I can't possibly be the only person to complain about this.

No I'm with you, I don't know what happened to the site but it's very choked down and not as personal as it used to be.

As far as Buzz's comments about social networking making message boards obsolete, I disagree. The IMDB boards are always busy.

If I read an article on Dread Central, I'd like to be able to comment and discuss with fellow horror fans, not go to Facebook, repost the article then see if any of my friends, none who read DC and over half who are not horror fans, have an opinion on the article. Looks to me like "Hey, even though it's our site we have stopped hanging out here, you should too! Follow me on Twitter!!" Fuck Twitter I like hanging on a horror site.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 am  Reply with quote

Count Zartro wrote:
doubleh55 wrote:

5. The DC Tweets

No I'm with you, I don't know what happened to the site but it's very choked down and not as personal as it used to be.

As far as Buzz's comments about social networking making message boards obsolete, I disagree. The IMDB boards are always busy.

If I read an article on Dread Central, I'd like to be able to comment and discuss with fellow horror fans, not go to Facebook, repost the article then see if any of my friends, none who read DC and over half who are not horror fans, have an opinion on the article. Looks to me like "Hey, even though it's our site we have stopped hanging out here, you should too! Follow me on Twitter!!" Fuck Twitter I like hanging on a horror site.

the imdb boards are the butthole of the internet.
GJW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:21 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Count Zartro wrote:
doubleh55 wrote:

5. The DC Tweets

Sometimes,I'll go on the IMdB boards on a topic I know people are posting on are really passionate about,and I'll just post some fucked up wacko comment that is against how 80% of the board feels JUST to come back later and get a giggle at how riled I got people. Hehe.
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:

I can't really argue this, some boards there are okay but imdb was secondary to the point that I enjoyed a stationary horror hub as opposed to being intertwined in peoples social networking lives.

Don't get me wrong, I only feel this way due to what this site has ment to me over the years, yes even back with creature corner and board that cannot be named, ect.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Tristan Sinns wrote:
I are flattered that my opinions matter!

Not to overly drop FanGirlTastic, but honestly we've had a pretty good posting population for awhile. Maybe 20-30 posts a day? Something like that.

That's because chicks love to blab it up.