FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Conan O'Brien Makes A Deal With tbs; Show Debuts In November
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am  Reply with quote

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/conan-obrien-makes-tbs-deal/

Here's the quickly assembled promo that's already airing on tbs.

http://www.tbs.com/video/index.jsp?oid=214157

Here's the press release.

Quote:
Conan Picks a Home – And It’s TBS

Comedy icon Conan O’Brien is joining TBS to host a late-night talk show that is expected to debut in November. The EmmyŇ-winning comedian’s new program will be followed by Lopez Tonight, which will shift to a midnight time slot.

O’Brien began talks in earnest with TBS just last week, after George Lopez personally called him to ask that he consider joining the network’s late-night line-up. “I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”

Said O’Brien: “In three months I’ve gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I’m headed to basic cable. My plan is working perfectly.”

O’Brien and Lopez will give TBS a dynamic lineup in late-night television. TBS – which has built a programming slate that appeals to a young, diverse audience – expects O’Brien to be a long-term addition to the network’s late-night landscape. O’Brien will host his hour-long, yet-to-be-titled show Mondays through Thursdays at 11 p.m. (ET/PT).

“Conan has been the comedic voice for a generation. TBS already has a huge audience of young comedy lovers, and Conan’s show will give these fans even more reasons to watch our network,” said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks.

With the addition of O’Brien’s show, TBS will establish two hours of late-night talk. Lopez Tonight, while just a few months old, has already become a destination show for a diverse audience. The Lopez Tonight audience is young as well, with a median age of just 34.

“For decades, late-night TV has been dominated by broadcast television,” Koonin said. “Now, with a young audience and a growing late-night lineup, TBS is set to be the choice of comedy fans for years to come.”

O’Brien is well-known from his many years in comedy. He grew up in a large, Irish Catholic family in a suburb of Boston. His love of comedy began at an early age and carried on when he entered Harvard University, where he earned a degree in history. During his years at Harvard, he also wrote for the legendary Harvard Lampoon publication, eventually serving as its president.

After leaving Harvard, O’Brien went to Los Angeles, where he found several writing jobs for television, including HBO’s Not Necessarily the News. After returning to the East Coast, O’Brien joined the writing team at Saturday Night Live, earning his first Emmy in 1989. He was writing for the hit show The Simpsons when Lorne Michaels approached him about a new late-night series for NBC. In 1993, Late Night with Conan O’Brien launched. The show ran for 16 years, ending when O’Brien briefly took over The Tonight Show.

O’Brien is currently touring the United States and Canada with his live show, Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour.

TBS, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., is television’s top-rated comedy network. It serves as home to such original comedy series as My Boys, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne and Meet the Browns, as well as the upcoming Neighbors from Hell and Are We There Yet?; the hit late-night series Lopez Tonight, starring George Lopez; hot contemporary comedies like The Office and Family Guy; and specials like Funniest Commercials of the Year; blockbuster movies; and hosted movie showcases. TBS also presents major live events, including star-studded comedy festivals in Chicago and Las Vegas.

macready
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

wait. but doesnt nbc own all the classic conan bits?
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

macready wrote:
wait. but doesnt nbc own all the classic conan bits?

I thought so too, but then apparently during the first stop on his nationwide tour last night in Eugene, Oregon, he brought out the Masturbating Bear (now a new animal and with a new name) and Triumph The Insult Comic Dog. The Walker, Texas Ranger Lever is now known as The Chuck Norris Rural Policeman Handle.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/13/conan-obrien-comedy-tour-review/
X-Count
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

SELF-PLEASURING PANDA FTW!!!!!!!!!
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I hope this new show on TBS works out. Fucking Jay Leno may have sabotaged his career.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

So happy about this.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
So happy about this.

Me too. I have a feeling that the random weirdness of the bits from Late Night will permeate the bits (new and old) that Conan does on this new show.

Is it November yet?!
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
The Buz wrote:
So happy about this.

Me too. I have a feeling that the random weirdness of the bits from Late Night will permeate the bits (new and old) that Conan does on this new show.

Is it November yet?!

I wish we could speed past the summer to see this show. I hope it works out well, Conan deserves it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, has promised Conan "the biggest marketing campaign in the history of cable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/business/media/13conan.html

I totally agree, Terminal. Can we just fast forward to November?
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:00 am  Reply with quote

FilmCritic3000 wrote:
Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks, has promised Conan "the biggest marketing campaign in the history of cable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/business/media/13conan.html

I totally agree, Terminal. Can we just fast forward to November?

Wow, I hope they make due on their promise.

Have you seen the teasers on TBS?

It shows the famous image of Coco and says I'm with Coco, then the letters switch to read "Coco is with TBS."

Goddamn it gives me goosebumps every time! I plan on supporting Coco.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I actually hope to see some more cross over stuff with Colbert/Conan/Stewart since they'll be directly competing with each other. Seeing as how they did the cross over a few years back, I can see them doing it again.

One can only hope.

How's Leno doing in the ratings? I wonder if the back lash hurt him.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 am  Reply with quote

I was just watching several classic bits from Late Night with Conan O'Brien on YouTube and once his new show starts on tbs, I can't wait to see Conan return to form with more bits in the vein of those he did on that show.

Again I say...IS IT NOVEMBER YET?!

Psst..remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-2I1mRvHs
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 am  Reply with quote

I just picked this up at Borders (it streets today) before I went into work. I thoroughly loved Bill Carter's book The Late Shift, which is an endlessly readable (I've re-read it dozens of times) account of the early '90s late night wars but so much more as well, really digging into the beginnings of Carson, Letterman, and Leno.

But I digress.

I can't wait to devour this book and I'll let everyone know what I think after I've read it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:26 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

FilmCritic3000 wrote:

I just picked this up at Borders (it streets today) before I went into work. I thoroughly loved Bill Carter's book The Late Shift, which is an endlessly readable (I've re-read it dozens of times) account of the early '90s late night wars but so much more as well, really digging into the beginnings of Carson, Letterman, and Leno.

But I digress.

I can't wait to devour this book and I'll let everyone know what I think after I've read it.

Let me know how it is, I'm curious to pick it up.
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
FilmCritic3000 wrote:

But I digress.

Let me know how it is, I'm curious to pick it up.

From the very beginning, the book is a real page turner; one chapter talks about Leno bombing at a May 2009 advertiser/industry conference while doing a 25 minute stand-up set; O'Brien & Fallon had preceded him with material about NBC, its programming, and its financial troubles, while Leno did stand-up about Bjork's dress she wore to the 2001 Oscars, Hurricane Katrina, and alcoholic airline pilots.

The book, as others have stated, portrays Conan as a noble, honest man caught up in this media maelstrom, with Jeff Ross, as his affable executive producer his right-hand man. Then there's the other side - Jeff Gaspin, soon-to-be-ousted head of programming at NBC, Jeff Zucker, and Jay. The fly-on-the wall stuff is terrific and lends a real tone of immediacy and a sense of realism and urgency to the proceedings.

A choice excerpt:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/late-night-wars-excerpt-201012?currentPage=3

Quote:
When Conan O’Brien walked into Jeff Gaspin’s office at a little after 10 a.m., his expression said everything. Marc Graboff saw it and realized at once: Conan knows.

The NBC executives greeted O’Brien and Ross formally and stiffly—there was no call for a bogus show of warmth. Gaspin got right to the point—they faced a crisis with the affiliates. NBC’s biannual Press Tour meeting with reporters was around the corner. Something had to be done. So he had come up with this plan: a half-hour of Jay at 11:35 followed by The Tonight Show. “I don’t want to choose between you,” Gaspin explained. Once again he referred to his refusal to make a “Sophie’s choice” out of the situation.

Conan remained calm, totally professional, which impressed both Gaspin and Graboff. Inside he was churning, but part of him was struck by how surreal, farcical almost, the moment felt: Sophie’s choice?

Still keeping his eyes averted, Conan responded, “I completely understand the difficult position you’re in,” but began to lay out his case. It included the commitment that had been made to him in 2004 that Jay would step down and he would inherit The Tonight Show, as well as a rundown on the money he had forsaken by spurning Fox and ABC. If someone had told you six years ago what he was going to do, and you based all your actions on that promise, and then he turned around and reneged on that promise … He had sacrificed a lot of money. He didn’t want to go to the competition; he wanted to be loyal to NBC.

“I get it,” Gaspin said. “It’s not perfect. I’m offering you both half of what you want.” He added, “This has been an unfair situation for both of you.”

But Conan was seeing no equivalency on the fairness meter. Leno had hosted The Tonight Show for 17 years. He had handed it over and immediately shifted to 10 o’clock, voluntarily. How, Conan asked himself, could any of this be construed as unfair to Jay?

“I know how hard I worked for this,” Conan told the NBC executives. “It was promised to me. I had a shitty lead-in.” His tone was soft, but the words were clipped. Graboff knew this was Conan in the raw, speaking from the heart.

Conan asked if Lorne knew; how about Jimmy Fallon? Gaspin said he had spoken to both of them already. He then urged Conan to give the idea some time, take it in, think about it.

Conan listened to Gaspin, still with a faraway look in his eye. Finally he did have something he really wanted to say, something that was all but burning a hole in his chest. “What does Jay have on you?” Conan asked, his voice still low, his tone still even. “What does this guy have on you people? What the hell is it about Jay?”

Neither of the NBC executives had an answer and cast their heads down. Conan thought they were working at looking sympathetic, following some lesson that had been taught at corporate school.

All in all, this book is immensely readable and touches on alot of bases re: late night television in the '00s - Jon Stewart almost signing with ABC in 2002, one of the more interesting tidbits. But at the forefront, as always, is Conan O'Brien's attempt to grab the brass ring he always wanted - like Letterman before him - only to have it yanked away by the scheming machinations of the clueless cabal at NBC.

Buz, go buy this book ASAP. You won't regret it. I devoured it in a few days.