FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> The Last Exorcism
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

I really really really hope that was THE last exorcism, at least, it might be for me.

My love for the horror genre is on seriously shaky ground. I've spent my entire 36 years on this planet dedicated to all things horror and almost always run to the theater to support the genre but I'm having a serious crisis of faith.

Why must 90% of all horror movies suck ass anymore?

*If you don’t want this rotten movie even more spoiled, stop reading*

The Last Exorcism is the latest example of why I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. I’m sick of wasting my hard earned money and walking out of the theater livid at what I just watched. This sorry excuse for a horror movie was a complete piece of shit. Here we go again with another shaky camera faux “lost footage” film. While I’m not 100% against this style, it needs to be done correctly like in REC or Cloverfield. Those movies used the cinema verite perfectly. Films like The Last Exorcism try to pull it off and end up boring the fuck out of the audience. The whole trick behind the style is to not only scare the audience with what they SEE but also what is lurking just outside the camera you CAN’T see. There wasn’t a goddamn thing scary or suspenseful in TLE. They spend 90% of the movie trying to create a slow burn buildup that will literally bore the shit out of most people. I kept looking at my cell phone time counting down the seconds till I could leave.

I could understand that MAYBE the preacher could trick a couple of redneck farmers with a tape recorder and a string once or twice, but if I remember correctly he performed well over 50 fake exorcisms. Do you mean to tell me everyone was THAT stupid to think demon voices in the room were coming from somewhere else other than a small handheld device? Or see him pulling strings to move pictures on the wall? And then we get the whole “was she/wasn’t she” really possessed ambiguity. All signs point to exactly what the movie suggests: she wasn’t. She was just traumatized by being impregnated by a bunch of devil worshippers. That was why the brother was against the exorcism because he didn’t want the preacher to realize she wasn’t truly possessed. It was only after he realized the guy was a scam artist that he was okay with it.

So….if she wasn’t really possessed, then how did she know where the preacher and crew were staying in the hotel? How’d she get there? How did she know Latin? If I remember correctly, she spoke it once and the preacher quizzed the father to find out if he knew Latin since she was home-schooled. How did she predict the future by drawing a picture of everyone’s death? Why didn’t the devil worshippers just kill the entire crew earlier if that was the intent? Why didn’t they destroy the camera/footage when they were all caught on tape? Why did they hear multiple voices coming from her bedroom?

But on the off chance she WAS possessed…Besides killing a few animals, she certainly didn’t exhibit many signs. Why steal the camera just to beat a cat to death with it? Why slash the brother across the face? And the demon didn’t know the word Blow Job? Which reminds me, that might one of the lamest scenes I ever saw..A Blowing Job. Yes, indeed it is. One 90 minute long blowing job.

The Last Exorcism is a total fucking embarrassment. 0/10.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:09 am  Reply with quote

I'm gonna not read your post... since I do plan on seeing this eventually, but I do wanna say one thing....

This movie had the best marketing ever.

Oh, Chat Roulette...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSaurw6E_Q
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone on here shoot the shit about recent movies anymore? What good is a horror movie website when new movies come out and half of the time threads don't even exist to discuss it. And when they do pop up, almost no one posts?

Let's just talk about Halloween vs Black Christmas or why Rob Zombie sucks some more....
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:
Doesn't anyone on here shoot the shit about recent movies anymore? What good is a horror movie website when new movies come out and half of the time threads don't even exist to discuss it. And when they do pop up, almost no one posts?

Let's just talk about Halloween vs Black Christmas or why Rob Zombie sucks some more....

I just haven't seen this one. Too many other movies came out recently for me to run to the theater again. But yeah, the forums are kind of dead right now.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

*****SPOILERS*******

(You should probably just put that in the thread title for a movie like this.)

I thought this movie was pretty sweet. Because it was not what I was expecting.

The trailer/marketing made this movie look like a bad ass exorcism flick...and that, it was not. It didn't really have any 'freaky possessed person' scenes and everything you might expect from that type of film that was any good, was in the trailer.

HOWEVER, this movie delivered for being a breath of fresh air in an otherwise boring genre.

When it comes to exorcism movies, you got The Exorcist (1973) and then a few here and there that are 'ok' (depending on who you talk to).

I loved how the lead exorcist didn't believe in god...and was in it for the business. I loved the 'twist ending' with the cult (don't really understand it, but don't need to either).

I expected 'handy cam' style cinematography, so that wasn't a big deal...and there was enough 'real exorcism' style footage to keep it 'in-check' and freaky still.

I'm not going to claim it to be the best exorcism movie or the best horror of the year or even one of the best or anything....but it didn't suck, that's for sure.

EDIT: I can totally understand how a big Exorcist/exorcism fan would not like this movie tho...especially if they were expecting a good classic exorcism movie
goblin310
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

I actually thought this movie was pretty cool and fairly well done until the end when I thought to myself "but why?" I just don't get why you would end the movie like that. I really don't think people know how to end movies anymore. Writers and Directors and Producers spend all this time coming up with these well thought out (or at least kinda cool) ideas but when it comes to the ending they just kinda go "meh." It happens time, after time, after time that I'll be watching a movie and be with it completely and really enjoying it when the end of the movie sucks the life life straight out of the experience.

kiddcapone wrote:
I really really really hope that was THE last exorcism, at least, it might be for me.

My love for the horror genre is on seriously shaky ground. I've spent my entire 36 years on this planet dedicated to all things horror and almost always run to the theater to support the genre but I'm having a serious crisis of faith.

Why must 90% of all horror movies suck ass anymore?

As far as I'm concerned the last year or two I thought had been pretty damn good. Christ, last year we had Drag Me to Hell, Zombieland, Trick ‘R Treat and Paranormal Activity. Call me crazy but a few years removed from now and I think you'll have people calling 09' a water shed year for horror.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

goblin310 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned the last year or two I thought had been pretty damn good. Christ, last year we had Drag Me to Hell, Zombieland, Trick ‘R Treat and Paranormal Activity. Call me crazy but a few years removed from now and I think you'll have people calling 09' a water shed year for horror.

Well...Zombieland wasn't a horror movie at all. And while I enjoyed Drag Me to Hell, it wasn't exactly a true horror movie either. It was more comic book style slapstick horror/comedy. Trick R Treat was very good and Paranormal Activity was decent but not nearly as great as hyped.

Water shed year? What about all this garbage: The Collector, Feast 3, The Final Destination, Friday the 13th remake, Halloween 2, House of the Devil (yes, I said it), It's Alive, Last House on the Left, Sorority Row, The Stepfather, Haunting in Connecticut, The Unborn, Wrong Turn 3, Cabin Fever 2, The Uninvited, and The Fourth Kind. And those are just the ones I saw...I can only imagine the one's I intentionally skipped.

And so far this year...The Crazies, Daybreakers, 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams, Legion, Nightmare on Elm St remake, Surivial of the Dead, Resident Evil: Afterlife...

Let's face it, for every ONE good horror movie, there's at least FIVE that suck. It's a terrible ratio.
willieblackmon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Watch The Last Exorcism Movie Online Free to Believe it. Check the link in the source.

Quick Detox
skyreset
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I fell asleep during this film (may have been due to a few drinks). But for me personally it didnt do anything.
Borgosi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

I liked the movie but I do understand how you feel. It seems most "horror" movies these days and more like bad comedies than real horror movies.

I want serious stories in my horror movies not slapstick. It has been awhile sense I've seen a truely good horror movie, a long long while. It's gotten to the point that I don't even go see them in theaters anymore. The trailers are enough to show how bad they are.