FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Avatar, The Last Airbender
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Could it be that M. Night has made a good film?
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

He's already made a few good films. Unbreakable is probably my favorite one of his movies.

But anyway, I'm a huge fan of the cartoon, so I'm definitely interested in seeing this.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I should have said "lately"
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

I just noticed, if you watch the Superbowl trailer, at around the 0:08 mark, at the upper left hand corner, you can see Appa, the flying bison.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Huh, I missed that. My kids loved the cartoon so I watched it every day and really got into the story. I thought it was really well done and I liked the animation. I hope this is a return to form for M. Night 'cause I do like the guy and think he has a fascinating process of making movies.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Huh, I missed that. My kids loved the cartoon so I watched it every day and really got into the story. I thought it was really well done and I liked the animation. I hope this is a return to form for M. Night 'cause I do like the guy and think he has a fascinating process of making movies.

I missed it the first time, too. It's waaaay in the background, and you really have to be looking for it.

But yeah, I liked most of his movies, just not his last two. Do your kids have the series on DVD? There's a great interview with M Night and the creators of the show on I think the last disc of Season 2.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I missed it the first time, too. It's waaaay in the background, and you really have to be looking for it.

But yeah, I liked most of his movies, just not his last two. Do your kids have the series on DVD? There's a great interview with M Night and the creators of the show on I think the last disc of Season 2.

No, neither do I. What is his involvement in the show?
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

No, neither do I. What is his involvement in the show?

He has none, it's just them interviewing him about his reasons for wanting to make the movie, and what his thoughts on the show are. He sounds really excited about it and is handling it with a lot of respect for the source material.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

Just watched 3 trailers for this movie (teaser, theatrical and Super Bowl spot) and I'm infinitely more interested in it than I was when I first heard that it was Shyamalan's new film. Never watched the show, but the trailers do a nice job of giving me some idea of what the story is, while still showing off some impressive scenes of action/CGI. I am sooo glad to see him taking on something very different. He did write this, though, so hopefully he doesn't fuck it up with more twists.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
Just watched 3 trailers for this movie (teaser, theatrical and Super Bowl spot) and I'm infinitely more interested in it than I was when I first heard that it was Shyamalan's new film. Never watched the show, but the trailers do a nice job of giving me some idea of what the story is, while still showing off some impressive scenes of action/CGI. I am sooo glad to see him taking on something very different. He did write this, though, so hopefully he doesn't fuck it up with more twists.

He doesn't bend the air, he TWISTS it!
I've never seen the cartoon and really have no interest in the film. I know it's been around for a while, so is it even that popular nowadays?

I'm also glad to see Shamwowalonagadingdong branching out to different scripts. If it gets good reviews I might give him another (or last) chance.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
MethRattle wrote:

He doesn't bend the air, he TWISTS it!
I've never seen the cartoon and really have no interest in the film. I know it's been around for a while, so is it even that popular nowadays?

I'm also glad to see Shamwowalonagadingdong branching out to different scripts. If it gets good reviews I might give him another (or last) chance.

The series ended. It was set up for three seasons, only three.

Which lends itself to movies nicely.
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Could it be that M. Night has made a good film?

Gasp! He's already made good films! The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, etc.

As for Avatar, this looks bad ass. I LOOOOVED the series, so I think this will do it justice big time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

This movie is pretty bad, but not quite as bad as people are making it out to be. Nightmare on Elm Street was worse. This actually kind of reminds me of a Rob Zombie movie in that way where you could tell he respected the source material, and WANTED to make a good movie, but sucked a dick when it came to writing the script.

further thoughts at http://blip.tv/file/3840682
BadAsh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

why does this thread have 'avatar' in the title?
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:
why does this thread have 'avatar' in the title?

because that's the name of the cartoon it was based on. They shortened it when Cameron's movie came out to just, "The Last Airbender."

The cartoon is much much better.