FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Despicable Me
Legba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

I think recently has been a real stellar time for kid films: Ponyo, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline, Toy Story 3, Where The Wild Things Are, and A Town Called Panic. This one I was more torn on, although there's some genuine things I loved about it. The way it goes from one extreme to the other (think of the most awkward cinematic parental scenarios taken to another level). Mixing some devilish humor with Warner Bros. physical gags only to end up in gross sentimentality, some of the subtler touches that when you're dealing in a film in 3D can be hard to pick-up on (and definitely for adults), the use of 3D and the overall design of the film, and through it all plays to a real sense of villainous frustration that comes with parenting in which you're ultimately at the mercy. The problem is the path is too predictably cutesy for it's own good. Giving way to a bunch of pop-culture, Shriek-ish type of dumb (wet humor) and musical numbers, that works to defeat some of the more balanced wit the film achieves through the first two acts. If you can get past that, there's certainly a lot of fun to be had. See the carnival sequence in 3D!