FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Guillermo Del Toro leaves The Hobbit. Fuck!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45299

This is incredibly upsetting news for me. Guillermo and The Hobbit were a perfect pairing especially since Guillermo is the only guy I can think of that has a similar vision to Peter Jackson and could possibly even make a movie that surpasses PJ's trilogy. Now what? Will Pj decide to direct himself or will he bail as well turning it over to a lesser director who will not be able to bring the novel to life on the bigscreen like they could which would just kill me since The Hobbit has been, without question, my most anticiapted film.

He's at least staying on to finish the script with PJ and Fran so at least that will be done as well as it could possibly be but that doesn't mean jack shit if they hire some fucking hack to film it.

And like Harry I was counting on The Hobbit sending Guillermo's career into the stratosphere at which time he would have then been able to do whatever he wanted and we would have surely seen a big budget adaptation of At The Mountains Of Madness.

If PJ bails too all hope will be lost.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Theonering.net is trying to be optimistic about the situation though with this article...

In case you were unplugged and off the information grid all weekend, TheOneRing.net broke the story that Guillermo del Toro has stepped away from directing duties on two planned (hoped for) films based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” We are assured (by one of the super-good inside sources) that GDT’s DNA in the form of script and design and pre-viz work will remain in place, new director willing. And why would they find a director who isn’t willing or wants to revisit the same work?

After getting over the shock and feeling the loss of our message board member’s departure, and wishing him all the best, the question now becomes: Who will direct “The Hobbit”? We have some ideas and maybe even some insights.
Peter Jackson: Current Hobbit co-writer and producer, he says he will not let the project fall apart but he told the Dominion Post: “If that’s what I have to do to protect Warner Bros’ investment, then obviously that’s one angle which I’ll explore.” It sounds like Jackson is reassuring Warners and fans not to despair. Conversations with the studios and Jackson on a replacement have already started and it isn’t as though there aren’t talented directors who would want to tackle these films. For example . . .

Neil Blomkamp: His “District 9″ came from the ashes of the failed “Halo” film, with Peter Jackson producing and earned an Academy Award nomination for “Best Picture.” Jackson thought the young director could handle the giant, special-effects-heavy video game film and then he made the independently-financed Wikus Van De Merwe film with down-on-their-luck aliens who crave cat food in Johannesburg. It earned over $200 million worldwide. Imagine what he could do with Weta and a budget. (And, we note, little or no studio interference!)

Sam Raimi: This man is a true geek (in a good way) and before del Toro was signed, we kept hearing his name as a strong possibility for “The Hobbit”. He has made action-oriented films with lighthearted moments and has nailed genre characters while producing big-time profits for studios. Fans who haven’t forgiven him for “Emo” Peter Parker need to have a guffaw with him for “From Hell. He gets it. Would he direct after not being the first choice? Bruce Campbell as Bard the Bowman?

Alfonso Cuaron: A lot of fans (and one would assume studio types) would love to see GDT’s friend step in to fill the gap. The director of a book-adapted Harry Potter film that runs circles around the rest in the series and especially the transcendent “Children of Men,” would be welcome. But unless this MGM situation gets settled soon (and we maintain from whispers that it might), what advice do you think he would hear from his pal Guillermo?

Andrew Adamson: It seems almost impossible that Adamson could direct and produce Narnia movies and Shrek movies and then fly under the radar as well as he has. Like Jackson, he calls New Zealand home and is based just a short flight up the island in Auckland. He already has extensive experience with Weta (LOTR’s, Narnia’s and the Hobbit’s special effects house) and might make the smoothest transition to helm the films. He may lack the “edge” that del Toro and Jackson and even Raimi and Blomkamp have shown in their bodies of work or it may be that he just hasn’t had the opportunities. Still, it seems impossible not to have him in the conversation.

Steven Spielberg and James Cameron are unlikely candidates despite what some fans wish for. Jackson’s circle of friends is pretty interesting though and Cameron raves about working in New Zealand and with Weta but there is nothing to suggest either of these busy guys are an actual possibility. Other names are being thrown around the internet wildly. Some are guesses, some are speculation and some are completely absurd. Hey! Why not Woody Allen? He directs movies after all!

Remember, Jackson wasn’t a proven big-budget commodity when New Line took a chance on “The Lord of the Rings,” more than 10 years ago. He had directed some splatter films, “Heavenly Creatures,” and “The Frighteners,” before New Line handed over the reigns. He appreciates and develops unheralded talent and may pull a director out of his hat. Imagine the size and scope of what “Halo,” would have been and he was perfectly willing to let the unknown Blomkamp have a go. Remember too that the project fell apart because the studios couldn’t come to terms on how to divide the (probably) billions with each other and it had nothing at all to do with the rookie director.

To be clear, the project lives on, Guillermo’s and Jackson’s influence remain and “The Hobbit” will go forward with a new director. Who? When? Stay tuned and you will know when we do.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, I was actually about to post the same thing. Shit sucks, but we'll see. Jackson said that HE would direct if worse came to worse.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure he's being very sincere about that too but even he can't wait forever. This MGM thing needs to get resolved soon in order for things to turn out ok. They will make so much money on this movie it'll be ridiculous but at this point I can see it not happening at all.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Good. I'm glad. Del Toro is too talented to be regurgitating Tolkien's left overs. I want to see what great stuff he can do next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

What? So that's how you feel about TLOTR's?
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
What? So that's how you feel about TLOTR's?

TLOTR's I assume means the Lord of the Ring movies. I loved them, but enough with Tolkien. Del Toro should be out there flexing his muscles with better material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Toss this one to Uwe and see what he can do with it. Imagine how The Battle of Five Armies would play out with The Doctor in charge of the whole thing.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

So, they adapt one book and that's enough with Tolkien. Haha. Yeah, you're right more Harry Potter is what we need.
Emy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
So, they adapt one book and that's enough with Tolkien. Haha. Yeah, you're right more Harry Potter is what we need.

I could be wrong, but wasn't it 3 books?

And don't compare with Harry Potter. Way different stuff. Harry Potter is mainly written for kids but still good for adults.

I would not take a kid to LOTR and I'm pretty sure most kids would not read the whole series.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

The Lord of the Rings saga is THREEEEE books.

Rolling Eyes
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

The Lord of the Rings is one book, The Hobbit is one book and every kid I know loves The Lord of the Ring's, every adult too for that matter except Richard Roeper that is.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The Lord of the Rings is one book, The Hobbit is one book and every kid I know loves The Lord of the Ring's, every adult too for that matter except Richard Roeper that is.

I always thought it was three books as well, but apparently I'm wrong, as I just did a little leg work on the subject.

It's considered one novel in three volumes.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I always thought it was three books as well, but apparently I'm wrong, as I just did a little leg work on the subject.

It's considered one novel in three volumes.

The Publisher broke it up into three parts because it was just after WWI and there was a paper shortage and had they published it as one novel nobody would have been able to afford it. Tolkien did not pick the names for the separate volumes. He liked Fellowship of the Ring, nobody knows exactly which Two Towers are being referred to in the second and Tolkien hated the third, Return of the King, because he felt it gave away the end opf the book. I have the leather bound editions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Ring's and it is one book, the way it is supposed to be.

Last edited by Floydian Trip on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

The Lord of the Rings saga is THREEEEE books.

Rolling Eyes

It's not a Saga either dude you're thinking Star Wars or Twilight.

Technically it's not even a trilogy although that's what most people call it. Mostly because of the movies.

I'm sure they'd start calling the 2nd Hobbit movie a sequel as well.