FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Guillermo Del Toro leaves The Hobbit. Fuck!
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
So, they adapt one book and that's enough with Tolkien. Haha. Yeah, you're right more Harry Potter is what we need.

The Lord of the Rings saga is THREEEEE books.

Rolling Eyes

It's not a Saga either dude you're thinking Star Wars or Twilight.

Technically it's not even a trilogy although that's what most people call it. Mostly because of the movies.

I'm sure they'd start calling the 2nd Hobbit movie a sequel as well.

Eenteresting.

Coo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
The Lord of the Rings is one book, The Hobbit is one book and every kid I know loves The Lord of the Ring's, every adult too for that matter except Richard Roeper that is.

We obviously don't know the same kids. Oh and by kids, I mean between reading age and 12-ish.

Let's face it LOTR is long, and could be hard to follow at times.

I personally and more often drawn to rewatching the HP movies then LOTD.

HP is easier to read as well, the writing is clearer and I can just get through one of those books like nothing, while I have yet to read LOTR. I would need to set aside some time and be reading only that and paying attention to everything.

Styles are much different, to me LOTR is one big brick and I just cannot get myself to even start reading it. Maybe it's just not for me.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I'm fine with The Hobbit never becoming a feature film. There's no point in one. And I'm glad Del Toro moved on to greener pastures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
I'm fine with The Hobbit never becoming a feature film. There's no point in one. And I'm glad Del Toro moved on to greener pastures.

I'm actually fine with that too. Not every book needs to be made into a movie.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. Mirakle wrote:
Terminal wrote:

I'm actually fine with that too. Not every book needs to be made into a movie.

Exactly. LOTR was great, the story was told. No need to expand on that further.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I love the Hobbit cartoon
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Me too. Great voice work and style as well as hitting the tone of the book.

I would like to see The Hobbit in film and it's just as worthy of a good film adaptation as anything. Not to be existential but if there's no point in making the Hobbit a film what's the point of any book to film?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
Me too. Great voice work and style as well as hitting the tone of the book.

I would like to see The Hobbit in film and it's just as worthy of a good film adaptation as anything. Not to be existential but if there's no point in making the Hobbit a film what's the point of any book to film?

Um, yeah Gus it's kind of perplexing to see people not want The Hobbit adapted what with all these much crappier books being adapted every day. But they are definitely in the minority as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have outsold everything except for The Bible and Koran pretty much. I'd like to see the chaos ensue if they went on theonering.net and said that. That is one massive, tight community of Tolkien fanatics.

The Hobbit is one of the greatest books ever written. It's every bit as compelling and brilliant as The Lord of the Ring's although not quite as epic. But it does have the most epic dragon in literature in it in Smaug and the back and forth between Bilbo and Smaug is the stuff of legend. It needs to be adapted with as much care as The Lord of the Ring's and Del Toro's career would have exploded had he been able to do it. At the moment he is very much where PJ was before he made The Lord of the Ring's. He's still making studio movies and when he makes his own films they're relatively low budget affairs. He's every bit as good as Jackson, Spielberg, Cameron and Scott, imo he just needs something to explode at the box office and The Hobbit would have done that.

I don't know how adaptable The Children of Hurin would be as I have not read it yet since it came out only 1 or 2 years ago and The Silmarillion covers the family tree's and languages and such for the entire history of Middle Earth and is not a story.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Besides a ton of great visuals The Hobbit has a very touching message. All these people and groups all going after treasure and each other which, by the end, means nothing. It would be an interesting contrast to the glorious film battles with the battle of the five armies at the end of The Hobbit. Maybe like Ran when all you see of the last battle are soldiers dying in pain and there was nothing glorious to it at all...epic but ugly. I would like to see that.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
Besides a ton of great visuals The Hobbit has a very touching message. All these people and groups all going after treasure and each other which, by the end, means nothing. It would be an interesting contrast to the glorious film battles with the battle of the five armies at the end of The Hobbit. Maybe like Ran when all you see of the last battle are soldiers dying in pain and there was nothing glorious to it at all...epic but ugly. I would like to see that.

Yes. I also have always wanted to see Mirkwood Forest. Shelob was pretty gruesome looking but multiply Shelob by over a dozen giant spiders attacking the dwarves and that could lead to some serious arachnophobia in a person.

When I directed my friends through my version of The Hobbit I only had a regular old forest to work with. It wasn't very scary.
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, in no particular order: The Hobbit (which is far better written than The Lord Of The Rings) is not one of Tolkien's leftovers - for that, look to The Silmarillion and the appallingly written (ie even worse than ol' JRR) Children Of Hurin.

The second Hobbit movie is only a catchpenny attempt to milk more money from the franchise.

It's a genuine shame that del Torro has pulled out. I wonder what could have caused this?

And finally, Floydian, go back to school. It's The Lord Of The Rings. No apostrophe. You dolt.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

First, thanks for continuing to be the asshole that you are or is it arsehole where you come from?

You are right there is no apostrophe but its become a habit discussing it with people who are not that big of fans so in this case I will admit to being a dolt.

The two Hobbit movies are the same novel broken into two movies, the way it should be not some made up bullshit in the second.

What caused this is the MGM debacle. Go back to school.
Karloff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

So, I'm an arsehole why exactly? Because I can write English and you can't? Okaaaaaay

Thanks, anyway, FT, for giving me another reason to report you. Name calling? Is that the best you can do? Sadly yes.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
So, I'm an arsehole why exactly? Because I can write English and you can't? Okaaaaaay

Thanks, anyway, FT, for giving me another reason to report you. Name calling? Is that the best you can do? Sadly yes.

To elaborate, the Hobbit movies are taking way longer than expected (and the studio had told Del Toro it would only take 3 years). He has other things he wants to do, and can't put his life and career on hold and move to New Zealand to work on these movies for 6+ years.

Floydian Trip wrote:
You are right there is no apostrophe but its become a habit discussing it with people who are not that big of fans so in this case I will admit to being a dolt.

Also yeah... The Lord of the Ring's? Rings mean plural. Ring's means that you are referring to something that belongs to the ring, like... "the Ring's hypnotic effect" or "the Ring's ability to turn it's wearer invisible" Just saying.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:28 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:

To elaborate, the Hobbit movies are taking way longer than expected (and the studio had told Del Toro it would only take 3 years). He has other things he wants to do, and can't put his life and career on hold and move to New Zealand to work on these movies for 6+ years.

To elaborate on the elaboration MGM is going under and needs someone to buy them before they can think about going into production on the movie and without Del Toro and possibly without PJ it'll be far less of a selling point.