FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Alan Wake
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Man, after years of waiting and delays, I was hoping that upon completing this game that I would be blown away. Instead, I was just glad to be done with it. This was one of the most dull games that I have ever played. And that's not just due to the redundancy of the games' scenarios and enemies. I didn't care about the characters or the story.

If you buy this game, lower your expectations significantly. This isn't of Silent Hill caliber.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark would strongly disagree with you. As for me, I thought it was good, but not the second coming of psychological thrillers as some have claimed it to be. I also was bored of the combat about half way through, and it offers no replayability like RE5 or even the Silent Hill games. once it's done, it's done and you probably won't have the urge to have another go at it. A solid rental, but $60? No way.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:21 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

You are both the victim of some sort of brain fever, a kind of virus-driven madness that dulls the mind and kills the soul.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
You are both the victim of some sort of brain fever, a kind of virus-driven madness that dulls the mind and kills the soul.

Surely there must be a game we can agree on. Let's see....OK, how about Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly? One of the top five best horror games ever. Or how about Kuon? Another great (but forgotten) game.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

frank_dracman wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:

Surely there must be a game we can agree on. Let's see....OK, how about Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly? One of the top five best horror games ever. Or how about Kuon? Another great (but forgotten) game.

Fatal Frame YES. Big time yes. Kuon, meh. It was okay, hated the combat system, though. Story got pretty disjointed at times as well. But Crimson Butterfly? I've played that game through more than any other console game...except Silent Hill 2.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:

Fatal Frame YES. Big time yes. Kuon, meh. It was okay, hated the combat system, though. Story got pretty disjointed at times as well. But Crimson Butterfly? I've played that game through more than any other console game...except Silent Hill 2.

Ah, Silent Hill 2. THE best SH game, hand down. I actually got kinda depressed at the ending. Pretty heavy stuff.

I'll cross you off the "Retard" list and put you on the "Sightly mentally deficient" list. Anyone who can't see the genius behind Deadly Premonition isn't all there. Wink
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I don't understand why SH2 is lauded as the best game in the series. I was far more creeped out and disturbed by SH3. I think 3's story is much better as well.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:
I don't understand why SH2 is lauded as the best game in the series. I was far more creeped out and disturbed by SH3. I think 3's story is much better as well.

See my previous comment about being a shell of a man bereft of a soul. Wink
resevil80
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Wake was one of the few games thats come out in the last few years that I didn't want to quit playing...I thought the story, atmosphere and action were all spot on.

Silent Hill 2 has the best storyline of the series...But Silent Hill 3 was the one that creeped me out the most and that I felt the need to unlock everything.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 am  Reply with quote

currently doing my first playthrough of sh2 and 4. Played through 1 a while back, and I don't really feel the need, nor want, to play through it again(and I play ps1 games constantly so that's not the reason).

My current favorite survival horror type game thus far, I would say is res-evil uncut directors cut(a modded version w tidbits that were pulled out put back in). After that I'd have to say dino crisis 1(still need to play 2)

As for alan wake, due to video watching of the gameplay, I'm waiting till its the price of a budget game.

Deadly preminition will wait until Mr darks review doesn't scare me away from it anymore. You're getting me there though frank, you're getting me there.
freakshow138
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 am  Reply with quote

Alan Wake was like a movie that went on way too long. As far as SH goes, 2 was fantastic, but 3 had the demon fetus abortion scene..fabulous. The best horror genre game has to be Resident Evil 2..if that is the argument
resevil80
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Resident Evil 2 is my favorite game of all time....Again, I loved Wake....The combat was tight, the game looked amazing and I thought the story was fantastic...Cant wait for the DLC.....

But nothing will ever overtake Resident Evil is my heart...That series(even 4 and 5) will always hold a special place...
Karloff
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

"Even" 4 and 5? 4 was amazing!

RE2 is the best of the series, probably, but I couldn't go back to that control system now, not when I've been spolied by RE4.

Back on topic, I picked up Alan Wake for five English pounds a week ago. So far I'm realy enjoying it. Very much like playing through a Stephen King novel, which is no bad thing, and I like the originality of the game. I'm on episode three now; I might get it done before Christmas if I play every night.