FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> The Road
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 am  Reply with quote

A pretty amazing movie to me. Utterly bleak and depressing and not really something I should be watching right now. I got home after 8 hours of volunteer work feeling pretty inspired, motivated and hopeful and now I'm fighting off the dark thoughts trying to enter my mind and just have to think about how I'm going to feel tomorrow when I get done with another 8 hours of work. It was worth it though.

I haven't liked Viggo is anything other than TLOTR's but this is one great performance. The Boy is also phenominally acted. Charlize and Robert Duvall knocked it out of the park as well and the very few other actors were top notch too even if they were only on screen for 3 minutes.

There are some happy moments for the man and the boy but the fact that they make them so happy is sad to watch. Ultimately it's about a fathers love for his son and moral decisions. As the boy asks him several times, "Are we the good guys?" I have the book but was waiting to see the movi8e for about the last year before I read it. I might not have such a high opinion of the movie if I had and now that I've seen it I think I'm going to wait for happier times to read it.

EDIT

I have only been able to watch No Country For Old Men once too. I'm thinking Cormac might be too dark for me to read even on the sunniest of days while eating an apple under the shade of an old oak tree. Someone put him in the same league as Hemingway in the making of and the only comments I've read about him say he's brilliant but fuck, Stephen King seems like a childrens author by comparison if the rest of his stuff is as dark as these two which I've read that's how he pretty much always is.
Elf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Just saw this movie last night and was surprised by how amazing it was. I knew it was going to be grim, but it was so beautifully acted and filmed that I really enjoyed it. Plus all the little bits building up to the story and just . . . Damn.

Damn good movie with a bittersweet end.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:35 am  Reply with quote

It really is a beautiful movie to look at all; around. I didn't have time to listen to the commentary but I'd really like to know how they got the world to look so dead and getting it done while shooting on location. Amazing feat. Definitely the best post-apocalyptic movie I've ever seen. Most gut-wrenching too.
David
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I'd really like to know how they got the world to look so dead and getting it done while shooting on location.

I think they filmed it in Ohio in March. The visuals reminded me of Minnesota in March, actually: bleak, grey and full of despair.

The Road depressed the hell out of me and kind of scared me off from reading the book. It also made me wonder what I'd do in similar circumstances. Carry the fire on for a little while longer or lie down and die?

The parts where the man is holding the gun against his son's head were very intense; I think both leads did a good job. I kind of wish Robert Duvall would have been in the film a little more, though. It was a decent movie but I don't know how many times I'd want to revisit it. It could have used a little more sunny flashbacks to break up the bleakness.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

David wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I'd really like to know how they got the world to look so dead and getting it done while shooting on location.

I think they filmed it in Ohio in March. The visuals reminded me of Minnesota in March, actually: bleak, grey and full of despair.

It's not that bad.

I really have no interest in the film for that very reason. Not that I don't appreciate a dark tone, even very very dark. I'm in the camp that really appreciated the ending of The Mist for example. But I heard enough that movie is just oppressively depressing.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
David wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

It's not that bad.

I really have no interest in the film for that very reason. Not that I don't appreciate a dark tone, even very very dark. I'm in the camp that really appreciated the ending of The Mist for example. But I heard enough that movie is just oppressively depressing.

It is so well made though Gus you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to not see it. It is one of the darkest and bleakest and just plain damn depressing movies I've ever seen but I loved it. It's beautifully shot and acted as Elf mentioned and as David mentioned, very, very thought provoking. Especially if you have kids. It's the grittiest and most realistic post-apocalyptic movie I've ever seen.

It's an absolute must see, imo.

EDIT

I'm with you on Robert Duvall David. I wanted them to take him with them because his performance is amazing for the 5 minutes he's in the movie.

EDIT 2

I also really appreciated the fact that they didn't show or explain what had happened to the Earth. It just starts right off after the lights had gone off. Generally, when an explanation is given for the end of the world such as in 2012 it's ludicrous and not even possible.
David
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:

I think this is a reasonable way of thinking. Early on in The Road we know that the world is filled with ash, all the animals are dead and people have turned to cannibalism. It starts dire and gets worse from there. Continuing to watch this narrative makes us like The Man following that road to the coast. A voice in my head kept saying "Why are you continuing on? You know this isn't going to be uplifting in any way so just stop and put in The Mist or Schindler's List and cheer up."

Floydian Trip wrote:
I also really appreciated the fact that they didn't show or explain what had happened to the Earth. It just starts right off after the lights had gone off. Generally, when an explanation is given for the end of the world such as in 2012 it's ludicrous and not even possible.

That's one thing I liked as well. Imagining what had happened and what I'd do in this situation is what made the unrelenting bleak tone bearable. I also agree that even their few moments of happiness were depressing. They were happy they found a crusty can of Coke, for God's sake.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

The Road was a very good film, but one I will never care to revisit due to it's extremely depressing content. I fear we could very well be headed towards this very existance somewhere in the future. I hope I'm wrong though.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

David wrote:
I also agree that even their few moments of happiness were depressing. They were happy they found a crusty can of Coke, for God's sake.

It was carbonated. That was pretty uplifting.

There's a place for a movie like The Blindside and there's a place for a movie like this. They should both be watched.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
The Road was a very good film, but one I will never care to revisit due to it's extremely depressing content. I fear we could very well be headed towards this very existance somewhere in the future. I hope I'm wrong though.

That's a borderline political statement. I'd watch it if I were you or you will be on the blacklist. But I agree with you. It's coming closer.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

David and Gus its been a pleasure.
Ultimo Franco
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Off the air
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 am  Reply with quote

I am all for bleak movies...But this just made me so depressed that I couldn't enjoy it...Dont get me wrongs it a good movie....But Jesus, At with The Mist I could enjoy myself until the very end of the movie and not just mope through the entire thing.
Impure159
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely the most bleak movie I've ever seen, I love Post-apocalyptic stories and this is one of my favorite simply for being ultra-realistic. At least as realistic as you can be about something that hasn't happened.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:21 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

It was bleak yet full of win. Big thumbs up here.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D