FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Robin Hood
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:33 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

We oughta film you two arguing sometime. You could be like the new Siskel & Ebert. Except, y'know, hopelessly retarded and infantile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
We oughta film you two arguing sometime. You could be like the new Siskel & Ebert. Except, y'know, hopelessly retarded and infantile.


And then of course, we have your incredibly intelligent and mature comments like this to offset everything, right? How about offering your opinion on the topic? No, it's much easier for someone of your "intellect" to do this. Goctha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Obviously you didn't watch Siskel and Ebert very much cause those guys would get into it so bad over movies they were seconds away from beating the shit out of eachother.

At least we're better than Roeper. The guy who said The Fellowship of the Ring sucked because it was about a stupid ring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Ghost House has some good movies. Drag Me To Hell is a particular standout. Hollywood will never be forced to do anything so if you think that "reality" hinges on the death of these studios, you need to find a new hobby and genre to be interested in. Do you read what you type? You're way too old to have such an extreme point of view.


I'm not too old to have that point of view, I'm old enough to know better. I'm old enough to remember sitting in the theatre year after year and watching the horror films that today are considered classics. I think you're too old to accept this crap and somehow try to convince yourself that they are good movies. But I digress.


You are old enough to know better. Which means you are old enough to A) know that this is how Hollywood works, and B) know that it's incredibly irrational and ridiculous to think that the demise of a studio will automatically lead to better horror movies being made.

What movies am I trying to convince myself are good? But on the topic, it's fittingly ironic that you say I'm trying to convince myself that these movies are good in a thread that consists of you telling me that Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven are good movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:22 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
We oughta film you two arguing sometime. You could be like the new Siskel & Ebert. Except, y'know, hopelessly retarded and infantile.


And then of course, we have your incredibly intelligent and mature comments like this to offset everything, right? How about offering your opinion on the topic? No, it's much easier for someone of your "intellect" to do this. Goctha.


I did. Briefly. About 9 or 10 pages ago. Or, something like that. I'm not going to go sifting through all of that snarky banter between you and Floyd just to find it, though.

But, you're more than welcome to. You've obviously got nothing better going on, or else you wouldn't be here, ruining every thread you post in, all the fucking time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:39 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:

I did. Briefly. About 9 or 10 pages ago. Or, something like that. I'm not going to go sifting through all of that snarky banter between you and Floyd just to find it, though.

But, you're more than welcome to. You've obviously got nothing better going on, or else you wouldn't be here, ruining every thread you post in, all the fucking time.


I really don't give much of a shit what you think you know about me because you know less than nothing. But, the fact is that we've been having a civil discussion. Then here you are, doing the very thing you accuse me of. Does any of this sink in?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:35 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I have to actually agree with DSIC. He's been unusually civil and hasn't insulted me once this whole time in all of the topics we've covered so far. It just gets me when people get upset when others are *gasp* having an actual discussion on an internet message board. Of course, if this isn't interesting there's always the uber-popular ANOES remake thread going on alternatively.

But back to Ridley and convincing yourself movies are good I'll throw The Descent Part 2 out there along with Friday The 13th remake which you keep trying to justify its existance as something more than a quick buck.

Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (Director's cut) are good movies. As I said before I'm really into historical period pieces. Titanic is another one I love because of its historical significance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SRB1951
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 124

You know, me being a n00b and all I didn't want to comment on the bickering. Shit happens and I'm positive you will have that on every message board on the interwebs. Besides, I like different people with differing opinions, freedom of speech and all that jazz.

Debating between individuals is also nice. I have seen you two getting along pretty well, overall, in this thread. You both seem like very intelligent, very likeable guys. It's more than obvious as well that you two are very passionate people who adhere to certain convictions. Characteristics that flatter your person.

Here's my thing. I have been wanting to ask a specific question(or possibly questions) regarding a particular movie(or movies) for two days now. Didn't know if I should just start a new thread or search the board for my particular question and possible answer. Asking said question in an already on-going thread crossed my mind for about all of 5 seconds. Thing is there's all kinds of nasty in just about every current thread on this board . You couple that with members basically saying you're stupid if your opinion differs from their opinion and that makes for a really shitty time when checking out the board and whatnot.

I'm no fucking expert on what director made what film, quality of previous work by said director, or what said director will be directing next. And to tell you the truth I just don't give a fuck. All I know is that I like what I like and I don't need someone shoving their opinion down my throat or calling me a moron if my opinion on what's good or not is different from theirs. It's immature at best.

I come here everyday, multiple times a day, searching for new movies, movies that I've never seen or that sound interesting, reviews from the crew and board members, and general entertainment. The bickering was funny at first but now it's old and seemingly uncomfortable in terms of me feeling like I can't interact with members without getting cussed out, called names, condescended to, what have you. Who needs that shit?

I'm not asking anyone to kiss my ass or treat me like some thin-skinned little girl. I'm not asking people to change who they are as people. But is it really that hard to show others a little bit of respect? Is it necessary to constantly bombard a pretty cool board with all of that fucking negativity?

I find it best to never get emotionally involved with anyone on the internet for various reasons. That includes negative, argumentative bullshit. Some of you should try that. Maybe there'd be more lady members posting on a regular basis or just more people in general.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:13 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
I have to actually agree with DSIC. He's been unusually civil and hasn't insulted me once this whole time in all of the topics we've covered so far. It just gets me when people get upset when others are *gasp* having an actual discussion on an internet message board. Of course, if this isn't interesting there's always the uber-popular ANOES remake thread going on alternatively.

But back to Ridley and convincing yourself movies are good I'll throw The Descent Part 2 out there along with Friday The 13th remake which you keep trying to justify its existance as something more than a quick buck.


The Descent 2 wasn't the abomination you make it out to be. It was a serviceable, watchable sequel. Same with the Friday remake, but you're fooling yourself if you think any Hollywood film is made for anything other than a quick buck. Sure some directors have something to say, but in this beloved genre of ours, it's ALWAYS existed as means to end as far as business goes. From Dracula to the Alien prequels and everything in between.

Quote:
Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (Director's cut) are good movies. As I said before I'm really into historical period pieces. Titanic is another one I love because of its historical significance.


I like historical period films as well, but I like good ones. Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

SRB1951 wrote:
You know, me being a n00b and all I didn't want to comment on the bickering. Shit happens and I'm positive you will have that on every message board on the interwebs. Besides, I like different people with differing opinions, freedom of speech and all that jazz.

Debating between individuals is also nice. I have seen you two getting along pretty well, overall, in this thread. You both seem like very intelligent, very likeable guys. It's more than obvious as well that you two are very passionate people who adhere to certain convictions. Characteristics that flatter your person.

Here's my thing. I have been wanting to ask a specific question(or possibly questions) regarding a particular movie(or movies) for two days now. Didn't know if I should just start a new thread or search the board for my particular question and possible answer. Asking said question in an already on-going thread crossed my mind for about all of 5 seconds. Thing is there's all kinds of nasty in just about every current thread on this board . You couple that with members basically saying you're stupid if your opinion differs from their opinion and that makes for a really shitty time when checking out the board and whatnot.

I'm no fucking expert on what director made what film, quality of previous work by said director, or what said director will be directing next. And to tell you the truth I just don't give a fuck. All I know is that I like what I like and I don't need someone shoving their opinion down my throat or calling me a moron if my opinion on what's good or not is different from theirs. It's immature at best.

I come here everyday, multiple times a day, searching for new movies, movies that I've never seen or that sound interesting, reviews from the crew and board members, and general entertainment. The bickering was funny at first but now it's old and seemingly uncomfortable in terms of me feeling like I can't interact with members without getting cussed out, called names, condescended to, what have you. Who needs that shit?

I'm not asking anyone to kiss my ass or treat me like some thin-skinned little girl. I'm not asking people to change who they are as people. But is it really that hard to show others a little bit of respect? Is it necessary to constantly bombard a pretty cool board with all of that fucking negativity?

I find it best to never get emotionally involved with anyone on the internet for various reasons. That includes negative, argumentative bullshit. Some of you should try that. Maybe there'd be more lady members posting on a regular basis or just more people in general.


You took the time to write all that so I will take the time to answer...

The fact is when passionate people get together to discuss things, emotions get involved. I am a very frank person and will ALWAYS say what's on my mind with very little self-editing (as Messiah has pointed out) and sometimes, while it may be a fault of mine, I don't care. I think it's absolutely ridiculous how offended people get by words on the internet. I couldn't give a rats as if someone doesn't like me because I argue...Fuck them. Who are these people in the grand scheme?

Debate, insult, punch your computer...In the end it makes no difference.

That being said, ask whatever question you want to ask, but as for not caring about directors and so on and liking what you like, that's fine, but you will find that if you follow directors, writers and so on, you open yourself up to so many films that you wouldn't have seen or heard about otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Then here you are, doing the very thing you accuse me of.


True. But, I don't make a habit of this. I usually just try to ignore the fuck out of both of you once the dialogue stretches past a single page. Which is why I didn't bother to read far enough, here, to know that the conversation was 'civil'. I just made a passing observation, and you got all pissy about it. Predictably.

It's 'cause I called you childish, isn't it? (Seriously, though. Name me one board member who isn't.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Then here you are, doing the very thing you accuse me of.


True. But, I don't make a habit of this. I usually just try to ignore the fuck out of both of you once the dialogue stretches past a single page. Which is why I didn't bother to read far enough, here, to know that the conversation was 'civil'. I just made a passing observation, and you got all pissy about it. Predictably.

It's 'cause I called you childish, isn't it? (Seriously, though. Name me one board member who isn't.)


Didn't get pissy, just wanted to point out the obvious flaw in calling someone out for doing something when you're doing the same thing. It's cool, you're not the only one. Richard Bastard does it all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

And, for you, it's a defining trait.

Wow. Full circle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1096

Just skimming through the discussions between DSIC and Floydian is enough to liquify your grey matter and send it shooting out of your asshole. It is entertaining though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
SRB1951 wrote:
You know, me being a n00b and all I didn't want to comment on the bickering. Shit happens and I'm positive you will have that on every message board on the interwebs. Besides, I like different people with differing opinions, freedom of speech and all that jazz.

Debating between individuals is also nice. I have seen you two getting along pretty well, overall, in this thread. You both seem like very intelligent, very likeable guys. It's more than obvious as well that you two are very passionate people who adhere to certain convictions. Characteristics that flatter your person.

Here's my thing. I have been wanting to ask a specific question(or possibly questions) regarding a particular movie(or movies) for two days now. Didn't know if I should just start a new thread or search the board for my particular question and possible answer. Asking said question in an already on-going thread crossed my mind for about all of 5 seconds. Thing is there's all kinds of nasty in just about every current thread on this board . You couple that with members basically saying you're stupid if your opinion differs from their opinion and that makes for a really shitty time when checking out the board and whatnot.

I'm no fucking expert on what director made what film, quality of previous work by said director, or what said director will be directing next. And to tell you the truth I just don't give a fuck. All I know is that I like what I like and I don't need someone shoving their opinion down my throat or calling me a moron if my opinion on what's good or not is different from theirs. It's immature at best.

I come here everyday, multiple times a day, searching for new movies, movies that I've never seen or that sound interesting, reviews from the crew and board members, and general entertainment. The bickering was funny at first but now it's old and seemingly uncomfortable in terms of me feeling like I can't interact with members without getting cussed out, called names, condescended to, what have you. Who needs that shit?

I'm not asking anyone to kiss my ass or treat me like some thin-skinned little girl. I'm not asking people to change who they are as people. But is it really that hard to show others a little bit of respect? Is it necessary to constantly bombard a pretty cool board with all of that fucking negativity?

I find it best to never get emotionally involved with anyone on the internet for various reasons. That includes negative, argumentative bullshit. Some of you should try that. Maybe there'd be more lady members posting on a regular basis or just more people in general.


You took the time to write all that so I will take the time to answer...

The fact is when passionate people get together to discuss things, emotions get involved. I am a very frank person and will ALWAYS say what's on my mind with very little self-editing (as Messiah has pointed out) and sometimes, while it may be a fault of mine, I don't care. I think it's absolutely ridiculous how offended people get by words on the internet. I couldn't give a rats as if someone doesn't like me because I argue...Fuck them. Who are these people in the grand scheme?

Debate, insult, punch your computer...In the end it makes no difference.

That being said, ask whatever question you want to ask, but as for not caring about directors and so on and liking what you like, that's fine, but you will find that if you follow directors, writers and so on, you open yourself up to so many films that you wouldn't have seen or heard about otherwise.


That's a great post SRB and I for one find your perspective on things very interesting. I wish you would jump in more and start threads and pose questions and give your thoughts on things more often. I'm not really used to the argumentative nature of this board either to be honest. Although my first message board experience was IGN and holy shit was that bad. After that I was invited to a few small boards run by regular guys and there was never any arguments at all because everyone was so like-minded. This is a larger scale board though so I guess it's just inevitable and I admit I've become as argumentative as anybody. Bottom line I hope you become more involved and try to ignore the BS as much as possible and stick around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum