FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Robin Hood
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

It seems to have turned out exactely the way I wanted it to. Who doesn't love Errol Flynn but he's dead.

Robin Hood

BY ROGER EBERT / May 12, 2010

Cast & CreditsRobin Russell Crowe
Marion Cate Blanchett
Sir Walter Max von Sydow
William Marshal William Hurt Godfrey Mark Strong
Prince John Oscar Isaac
Richard Danny Huston

Universal Pictures presents a film
directed by Ridley Scott. Written by Brian Helgeland. Running time: 131 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for violence, including intense sequences of
warfare, and some sexual content).

Little by little, title by title, innocence and joy is being drained out of the movies. What do you think of when you hear the name of Robin Hood? I think of Errol Flynn, Sean Connery and the Walt Disney character. I see Robin lurking in Sherwood Forest, in love with Maid Marian (Olivia de Havilland or Audrey Hepburn), and roistering with Friar Tuck and the Merry Men. I see a dashing swashbuckler.

That Robin Hood is nowhere to be found in Ridley Scott’s “Robin Hood,” starring Russell Crowe as a warrior just back from fighting in the Third Crusade. Now Richard is dead, and Robin is essentially an unemployed mercenary. This story is a prequel. It takes place entirely before Robin got to be a folk hero. The idea of taking from the rich and giving to the poor was still in storyboard form. Grieving Richard the Lionhearted and now facing the tyrant King John, Robin leads an uprising.

This war broadens until, in the words of the movie’s synopsis, “it will forever alter the balance of world power.” That’s not all; “Robin will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.” Not bad for a man who, by general agreement, did not exist. Although various obscure bandits and ne’er-do-wells inspired ancient ballads about such a figure, our image of him is largely a fiction from the 19th century.

But so what? In for a penny, in for a pound. After the death of Richard, Robin Hood raises, arms and fields an army to repel a French army as it lands on an English beach in wooden craft that look uncannily like World War II troop carriers at Normandy. His men, welding broadswords, backed by archers, protected from enemy arrows by their shields, engage the enemy in a last act devoted almost entirely to nonstop CGI and stunt carnage in which warriors clash in confused alarms and excursions, and Russell Crowe frequently appears in the foreground to whack somebody.

Subsequently, apparently, Robin pensioned his militia and retired to Sherwood Forest to play tag with Friar Tuck. That’s my best guess; at the end the film informs us, “and so the legend begins,” leaving us with the impression we walked in early.

Ah, you say, but what of Maid Marion? In this telling, Marion (Cate Blanchett) is not a maid but a widow, and not a merry one. At one point she threatens to unman Robin with her dagger, which is unlike the Maid Marions I’ve known and loved. Blanchett plays the role with great class and breeding, which is all wrong, I think. She’s the kind of woman who would always be asking Robin, “Why do you let that smelly so-called friar hang around you like a fanboy?”

If you listen closely to the movie’s commercials, you may hear of a royal edict being issue against “Robin of the Hood.” A hood, in medieval English, was of course a wood or forest — a point that may be lost on many of the commercial’s viewers.

“Robin Hood” is a high-tech and well made violent action picture using the name of Robin Hood for no better reason than that it’s an established brand not protected by copyright. I cannot discover any sincere interest on the part of Scott, Crowe or the writer Brian Helgeland in any previous version of Robin Hood. Their Robin is another weary retread of the muscular macho slaughterers who with interchangeable names stand at the center of one overwrought bloodbath after another.

Have we grown weary of the delightful aspects of the Robin Hood legend? Is witty dialogue no longer permitted? Are Robin and Marion no longer allowed to engage in a spirited flirtation? Must their relationship seem like high-level sexual negotiations? How many people need to be covered in boiling oil for Robin Hood’s story to be told these days? How many parents will be misled by the film’s PG-13 rating? Must children go directly from animated dragons to skewering and decapitation, with no interval of cheerful storytelling?

The photography is, however, remarkable, and Crowe and the others are filled with fierce energy. Ridley Scott is a fine director for work like this, although in another world, Hollywood would let him make smarter films. God, he must be tired of enormous battle scenes.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Then you have the other opinions which far outweigh the positive that thing the movie isn't good.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/robin_hood_2010/

I especially like this quote...
"Scott's films are all starting to bleed together. While I respect and appreciate his creative predilections, I confess I am tiring of his oeuvre. It has become worn out and familiar. Each film is something of a copy of the last. "
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Meh. I'm really not very interested in seeing this, at all. No way in hell it'll be as bugnuts crazy as Prince of Thieves was, with its eyeless geezers, scary-ass witch hags, and snappy one-liners about dull silverware ...

Christ, I haven't seen that movie since I was 10. I should probably do something about that.
Dr. Mirakle
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Now Richard is dead, and Robin is essentially an unemployed mercenary. This story is a prequel. It takes place entirely before Robin got to be a folk hero.

I didn't need to read any further to know I won't be seeing this one. It's one thing to present Robin Hood as a badass fighting leader, like a certain Spartan king I've heard tell of. It's another to completely invert the timeline that way. In other words, how can it possibly be a prequel if it takes place after Richard's death?

I'm curious,though, FT; how did you want it to turn out?
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
It seems to have turned out exactely the way I wanted it to. Who doesn't love Errol Flynn but he's dead.

THAT'S your argument for this movie?

Amazing.

Anyway, yeah I'm not seeing this movie any time soon. I'm sick of Robin Hood regurgatations, I'm sick of Scott, I'm bored with Crowe already and the movie looks like they're anxiously trying to tap the awards well as soon as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SRB1951
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

What's sad is that I loved Gladiator and I loved Russell in that movie. In my opinion no one better could have been casted for that role. His acting, superb, and a face and body that was utterly beautiful.

I even backed him when he beat up a member of the media. After all, they can be pushy little bastards. An alpha-male who didn't take shit and was nobody's puppet.

I remained a fan even after all of the bombed movies.

Now, he's just a pompous fuck face with a huge self-entitlement issue. And apparently, his arrogance is just too much for him to keep in check.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/russell-crowe-storms-out-interview-over-robin-hood-accent-questions
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:40 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Amazing.

That was in response to the review!

Amazingly illiterate.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Amazing.

That was in response to the review!

Amazingly illiterate.

Amazingly Illiterate? Quoting your report cards again, are we?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Oh come on. You can both do better than that.

Anyway, this movie is gonna bomb. Hopefully this will end the Ridley Scott/Russell Crowe collaborations for a while at least. And hopefully inspire Scott to get back to doing movies that matter.

I watched Dangerous Days from the Blade Runner Bluray this week. If you watch that and then look at his career in the last 20 years you can easily see that the man has a lost a bit of his stride. This is what happens when you're not hungry anymore.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Oh come on. You can both do better than that.

I agree, I can. I'm in a slump, what can I say? Today is not my best day.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

"Have we grown weary of the delightful aspects of Robin Hood?"

Yes. Very much so. I want a Robin Hood with teeth and epic battle sequences. Nobody does battle sequences like Ridley. How will Centurion fare against this movie?
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hilarious review and pretty much what I expected:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23707/1/REVIEW-ROBIN-HOOD/Page1.html
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Devin is one of the biggest assholes on the face of the internet so I'll stick to respecting what Ebert has to say more and disregarding CHUD like I usually do. What I find funny is how all the naysayers are talking like Robin Hood is a real person. He's completely made up. Robin Hood can be whoever a person wants him to be. If people want him to be a tight-wearing fruitcake who hides in trees then great there are plenty of movies like that. I want to see a badass version of Robin Hood that decapitates people and enjoys it. And of course lots of battle sequences.

I'm going to see this on Sunday.
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
If people want him to be a tight-wearing fruitcake who hides in trees then great there are plenty of movies like that. I want to see a badass version of Robin Hood that decapitates people and enjoys it. And of course lots of battle sequences.

In other words a man who makes you feel like a man?
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
If people want him to be a tight-wearing fruitcake who hides in trees then great there are plenty of movies like that. I want to see a badass version of Robin Hood that decapitates people and enjoys it. And of course lots of battle sequences.

Then why bother calling it Robin Hood? If you want a badass character that chops people's heads off then just create a new character. It's not Robin Hood.

Also, instead of paying attention to any one critic in particular... I'm just gonna say that it has a 45% on Rotten Tomatoes.