FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Action star retirement community unite! (The Expendables)
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:49 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Posts: 1423
Location: The Cliffs of Insanity

Floydian Trip wrote:
The most perplexing thing to me in this thread is Emy mentioning Liam Neeson. Hah, did I miss something?


See Taken if you haven't. He can kick some serious ass. (Or maybe it was the writting and directing that helped him to that, anyways, he's great in Taken and a fantastic actor in dramas).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Gus Bjork wrote:
One of the first films I remember him in was Excalibur. And don't forget about Darkman.


I love me some Darkman, but should that even really count? Anytime he's onscreen, he's behind either 8 pounds of facial prosthetics or full bandages, which means it's probably a pretty safe bet that any, if not all, of the actual stunts in the film would've been performed by a stand-in. Just saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
And Die Hard is one of the greatest action movies ever made. Possibly the greatest. Whenever it's on tv, I've got to watch it.


Agree completely. Except I think it IS the greatest action movie ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
The most perplexing thing to me in this thread is Emy mentioning Liam Neeson. Hah, did I miss something?


See Taken if you haven't. He can kick some serious ass. (Or maybe it was the writting and directing that helped him to that, anyways, he's great in Taken and a fantastic actor in dramas).


He was the only thing worth watching in Taken. What a bad movie. It was much better when it was called "Commando".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

nonserviam03 wrote:
Wait a second... are talking Rambo as in Rambo 4 or Rambo as in First Blood? Because First Blood is one of the best action movies ever made.


If you say so. And White Castle is gourmet cooking.

Rolling Eyes

On a better note, Luc Besson has made some rather great action films.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 1096

Terminal wrote:
Rambo is pointless crap period. And I find more entertaining that people think it has actual social commentary to it. Hysterical!

Oooh, I must challenge this statement. The social commentary in Rambo (the original) is so obvious it's astounding you can't see it. It's a commentary on the lost soldier mentality. Which has been and always will be a prevalent problem with soldiers when they come back from war.

John, as we see early on, had no other plans other than to reconnect with his war buddy. Once he finds out he's dead, he feels without a purpose. Later on he explains how he can't even hold down a job as a mechanic. The only thing he truly knows how to do well is engage in combat.

At the time of the film's production, mental illness was largely misunderstood, which made the film's thematic content all the more important. As Rambo says, "You just don't turn it off."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:45 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Posts: 1423
Location: The Cliffs of Insanity

Terminal wrote:

On a better note, Luc Besson has made some rather great action films.


Which ones have you seen? I pretty much will watch any action movies has had a hand in. The guys has an eye for "fun" stuff.

The B13 movies, the Yamakasi movies (I've yet to see the second one but it will happen someday), the Taxi movies (more comedy, but some action, lots of car scenes), Nikita, Leon, Taken, even Point of No Return was half way decent (and a guilty pleasure of mine), the Transporter movies, even though it was sci-fi The Fifth Element had some good action scenes, Danny the Dog, Kiss of the Dragon, the Crimson Rivers movies (even though they seem to not belong together, they're fun), ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:23 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I wonder why Van Damm and Seagal would turn down the chance to be in a Stallone movie.

Is Rocky considered an action, sports movie or drama? 'Cause it's my favorite Stallone and if it's considered action then it's right up there with Die Hard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

LSD Zombie wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Rambo is pointless crap period. And I find more entertaining that people think it has actual social commentary to it. Hysterical!

Oooh, I must challenge this statement. The social commentary in Rambo (the original) is so obvious it's astounding you can't see it. It's a commentary on the lost soldier mentality. Which has been and always will be a prevalent problem with soldiers when they come back from war.

John, as we see early on, had no other plans other than to reconnect with his war buddy. Once he finds out he's dead, he feels without a purpose. Later on he explains how he can't even hold down a job as a mechanic. The only thing he truly knows how to do well is engage in combat.

At the time of the film's production, mental illness was largely misunderstood, which made the film's thematic content all the more important. As Rambo says, "You just don't turn it off."


His long speech at the end of the movie is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
I wonder why Van Damm and Seagal would turn down the chance to be in a Stallone movie.


Most like ego and money.

Quote:
Is Rocky considered an action, sports movie or drama? 'Cause it's my favorite Stallone and if it's considered action then it's right up there with Die Hard.


Rocky is a drama.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:07 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

The Losers is the other action movie I want to see right now that is in theatres already.

The Losers


BY ROGER EBERT / April 21, 2010


Cast & CreditsClay Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Aisha Zoe Saldana
Jensen Chris Evans
Roque Idris Elba
Pooch Columbus Short
Cougar Oscar Jaenada
Max Jason Patric

Warner Bros. presents a film directed by Sylvain White. Written by Peter Berg and James Vanderbilt. Running time: 98 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for sequences of intense action and violence, a scene of sensuality and language).

"The Losers" is a classical action movie based on a comic strip. It does just enough nodding toward the graphics of drawn superheroes, and then gets that out of the way and settles down into a clean, efficient and entertaining thriller. It's a reminder of how exhausting this kind of material can be when it's brought to a manic level by overwrought directors. But "The Losers" looks, feels and plays like a real movie. There is another reason to be grateful: It's not in 3-D. You have to treasure movies like this before they're entirely eaten away by the marketing gimmicks.

Story, straightforward, no gargoyles. Five tough guys go on a mission against a drug lord in Bolivia. They abort the mission when they see a bus full of little kids arrive at the target. No luck. A voice named "Max" orders a plane to carry out a bombing run. The tough guys break in and rescue the kids just in time. A helicopter is sent for them. No room on the copter except for the kids. The copter is shot down, the kids die.

"That was supposed to be us," they say, regarding the smoldering wreckage. A close-up of flames still licking at a toy bear that was established earlier as belonging to a cute kid. Note: Whenever a kid gets on a copter in an action film and is told to take good care of his bear, the kid and the bear will go down in flames.

The tough guys rip off their dog tags and throw them on the flames. Now they're the Losers, dedicated to bringing the mysterious Max to justice. Who is he? They guess maybe CIA-Special Forces-Black Ops -- nobody knows. Meanwhile, they're officially dead and stranded in Bolivia with no passports and no money.

Think I'm giving away too much? That's only the pre-title sequence. Then we meet them one by one: Clay (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), Jensen (Chris Evans), Roque (Idris Elba), Pooch (Columbus Short) and Cougar (Oscar Jaenada). Each has a specialty: command, ordnance, rockets, sniper, etc. They're rugged, macho, wise-cracking. Clay is the highest-ranking officer, but he keeps saying, "We're not in the military now." Later, of course, he pulls rank.

Then we meet Aisha (Zoe Saldana). Saldana is a seriously beautiful woman. You didn't notice that so much in "Avatar." She poses as a bar girl to seduce her way into Clay's room, and then they have a deadly fight, destroy the room and burn down the hotel, and after that they're friends on the same side and Clay is convincing the others to trust her. I didn't quite follow this every step of the way.

Aisha knows who Max really is, where he is and how to get him. And she has the resources to get the Losers into the United States, arm them, rent them helicopters and so on. They want to avenge those kids. Can Aisha be trusted? It's not always clear. Nor is it clear at first exactly what Max is up to, although here's a first: He demonstrates the first green weapon of mass destruction. It totally destroys a target, yet adds no pollution to the atmosphere. How's that for progress? How he plans to use the weapon and what his super-secret computer files are for provide the movie's MacGuffin.

Max is played by Jason Patric, who can make a very snaky snark. The director Sylvain White contrives a nice little scene on the beach where Max's curvaceous servant shades him with an umbrella. The wind blows the umbrella aside for a second, and the shot becomes a perfect steal of that butler on the beach in the Jack Vettriano painting that became the largest-selling poster in British history. Then Max shoots her. That's not in the Vettriano.

"The Losers" knows what it's doing and how to do it. Sylvain White doesn't have a lot of credits but he knows how to direct and not trip over his own feet. The movie gets the job done, and the actors show a lot of confidence in occupying that tricky middle ground between controlled satire and comic overkill. It's fun.

I noted that Zoe Saldana is beautiful. I noted something else. In keeping with the current popularity of cafe au lait complexions, the movie uses lighting and filters to bathe the romantic scenes in a kind of golden glow, so that Saldana and Morgan come out looking about the same. We're no longer making people of color look whiter in the movies; we're tinting people of whiteness. Time marches on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:46 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

LSD Zombie wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Rambo is pointless crap period. And I find more entertaining that people think it has actual social commentary to it. Hysterical!

Oooh, I must challenge this statement. The social commentary in Rambo (the original) is so obvious it's astounding you can't see it. It's a commentary on the lost soldier mentality. Which has been and always will be a prevalent problem with soldiers when they come back from war.

John, as we see early on, had no other plans other than to reconnect with his war buddy. Once he finds out he's dead, he feels without a purpose. Later on he explains how he can't even hold down a job as a mechanic. The only thing he truly knows how to do well is engage in combat.

At the time of the film's production, mental illness was largely misunderstood, which made the film's thematic content all the more important. As Rambo says, "You just don't turn it off."


They take political relevance and just make a story around it.

That's not social commentary.

I remember when John Rambo came out a few years ago, people were so anxiously trying to add political subtext to it. "It's a great commentary on blah blah blah."

It's an ACTION MOVIE, trying to add subtext to Rambo is trying to add subtext to Commando.

I like that action buffs are trying to take a movie they love and add importance to it, but it's a dixie cup. Convenient disposable and that's about it.

I'm not buying it.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Emy wrote:
Terminal wrote:

On a better note, Luc Besson has made some rather great action films.


Which ones have you seen? I pretty much will watch any action movies has had a hand in. The guys has an eye for "fun" stuff.

The B13 movies, the Yamakasi movies (I've yet to see the second one but it will happen someday), the Taxi movies (more comedy, but some action, lots of car scenes), Nikita, Leon, Taken, even Point of No Return was half way decent (and a guilty pleasure of mine), the Transporter movies, even though it was sci-fi The Fifth Element had some good action scenes, Danny the Dog, Kiss of the Dragon, the Crimson Rivers movies (even though they seem to not belong together, they're fun), ...


I've seen The Professional, La Femme Nikita, and stuff he's produced like District B13, Taken, the Transporter movies, and even Kiss of the Dragon, which is flawed as hell but still better than most action films that came out around that time.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

nonserviam03 wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Rambo is pointless crap period. And I find more entertaining that people think it has actual social commentary to it. Hysterical!

Oooh, I must challenge this statement. The social commentary in Rambo (the original) is so obvious it's astounding you can't see it. It's a commentary on the lost soldier mentality. Which has been and always will be a prevalent problem with soldiers when they come back from war.

John, as we see early on, had no other plans other than to reconnect with his war buddy. Once he finds out he's dead, he feels without a purpose. Later on he explains how he can't even hold down a job as a mechanic. The only thing he truly knows how to do well is engage in combat.

At the time of the film's production, mental illness was largely misunderstood, which made the film's thematic content all the more important. As Rambo says, "You just don't turn it off."


His long speech at the end of the movie is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever.


That scene about Vietnam right where he's screeching in the climax? Funny as all fucking hell. It's Stallone screaming "We're more than just an action movie! Honest! We're cinematically relevant as Platoon!"

Uh huh.
_________________
----------
"We are bad guys. That means we've got more to do other than bullying companies. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Terminal wrote:


They take political relevance and just make a story around it.

That's not social commentary.

I remember when John Rambo came out a few years ago, people were so anxiously trying to add political subtext to it. "It's a great commentary on blah blah blah."

It's an ACTION MOVIE, trying to add subtext to Rambo is trying to add subtext to Commando.

I like that action buffs are trying to take a movie they love and add importance to it, but it's a dixie cup. Convenient disposable and that's about it.

I'm not buying it.


You don't have to buy it. First Blood, commentary or not (I don't agree that there is) is not a shallow action movie. As for his speech at the end? It was really good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum