FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Dread Central Cinema -> April, 9, 2010: The Gate
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 am  Reply with quote

ImTheMoon wrote:
again why aren't the majority of these people phased by the whole demon thing
Headbanger's Ball and backwards records had us all convinced that demons were common place back then.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:25 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I once convinced a drunk and easily scared woman that watched this that minions were hiding in her kitchen cabinets and their little heads were turning as the followed her movements through the house. She woke up her husband and made him check for her.

I live vicariously through the fear of others, since I'm not as easily frightened now.

Yeah, that is something that I miss. I haven't been genuinely SCARED of a movie in a long time. Some might disturb me or an image may creep me out. But that OH SHIT THERE IS SOMETHING THERE THAT IS GOING TO GET ME feeling that I used to have when I was a kid watching movies like this, I haven't experienced that in a long, long time.
The last two movies that did that for me were The Devil's Backbone and, last year, The Orphanage got to me. I was watching it in the middle of the night, alone, and I started hearing noises through the house and imagining little kids moving through the shadows and I was certain that I'd feel those cold, dead, bony little fingers grabbing me at any second. It was pretty sweet.

I was more touched by Devil's Backbone than scared or freaked out. And as far as The Orphanage... the one time I watched that was directly following my first screening of Stallone's new Rambo. This viewing of The Orphanage took place with me wearing my necktie around my head like a bandana and flashing back to the myriad of ways a head could explode from a sniper shot. Not the best circumstances for such a reserved film. I've been meaning to watch it again but it gets lost in the stacks of other, "Oh, shit I have to watch this" flicks I collect.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:26 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:
Headbanger's Ball and backwards records had us all convinced that demons were common place back then.

I listened to The Cult and Stryper! I was TOTALLY into Satan!!
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 am  Reply with quote

RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:

I listened to Sharon, Lois and Bram.... but then again I was born in the 80's so I didn't start to explore music till the 90's
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:29 am  Reply with quote

RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I once convinced a drunk and easily scared woman that watched this that minions were hiding in her kitchen cabinets and their little heads were turning as the followed her movements through the house. She woke up her husband and made him check for her.

I live vicariously through the fear of others, since I'm not as easily frightened now.

Yeah, that is something that I miss. I haven't been genuinely SCARED of a movie in a long time. Some might disturb me or an image may creep me out. But that OH SHIT THERE IS SOMETHING THERE THAT IS GOING TO GET ME feeling that I used to have when I was a kid watching movies like this, I haven't experienced that in a long, long time.
The last two movies that did that for me were The Devil's Backbone and, last year, The Orphanage got to me. I was watching it in the middle of the night, alone, and I started hearing noises through the house and imagining little kids moving through the shadows and I was certain that I'd feel those cold, dead, bony little fingers grabbing me at any second. It was pretty sweet.

I was more touched by Devil's Backbone than scared or freaked out. And as far as The Orphanage... the one time I watched that was directly following my first screening of Stallone's new Rambo. This viewing of The Orphanage took place with me wearing my necktie around my head like a bandana and flashing back to the myriad of ways a head could explode from a sniper shot. Not the best circumstances for such a reserved film. I've been meaning to watch it again but it gets lost in the stacks of other, "Oh, shit I have to watch this" flicks I collect.
The part where the kid in TDB could hear the dead boy breathing on the other side of the curtain thingy had me pretty damn scared. I really don't like ghosts.

As for Rambo, I'm pretty sure Rich thinks I'm insane because of that movie. I laughed for about 40 minutes straight trying to explain to him about the scenes of children getting machine-gunned and bayonetted into the fire.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:31 am  Reply with quote

RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:

It's all about RATT.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:32 am  Reply with quote

ImTheMoon wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:

I listened to Sharon, Lois and Bram.... but then again I was born in the 80's so I didn't start to explore music till the 90's
Just in time for Snow and his boy, MC Shan.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:33 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

The part where the kid in TDB could hear the dead boy breathing on the other side of the curtain thingy had me pretty damn scared. I really don't like ghosts.

As for Rambo, I'm pretty sure Rich thinks I'm insane because of that movie. I laughed for about 40 minutes straight trying to explain to him about the scenes of children getting machine-gunned and bayonetted into the fire.

It is a serene level of violence. I love it. Looking forward to The Expendables.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:34 am  Reply with quote

I think this stairway scene inspired the flight from and battle with the Balrog in Jackson's LotR movies.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGYfdyYylE
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 am  Reply with quote

apparently demons or filled with fireworks.... I did not know that.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I think this stairway scene inspired the flight from and battle with the Balrog in Jackson's LotR movies.

Knowing Jackson's tastes in films I wouldn't be surprised at all.
RustyMuffler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 am  Reply with quote

ImTheMoon wrote:
apparently demons or filled with fireworks.... I did not know that.

Fireworks and a delicious mustard dill sauce.
ImTheMoon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 am  Reply with quote

and if they're smart kids they blame the whole thing on a gas leak.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:40 am  Reply with quote

RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:
RustyMuffler wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
ImTheMoon wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGYfdyYylE
It's a damn shame they didn't have him perform at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.