FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> James Cameron to produce Fantastic Voyage in 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

I loved, loved this show when I was a kid. It could be a total acid trip in 3D. But who to replace Raquel in a scuba suit. Can't think of anyone.

Bring it!

Cameron's Fantastic Voyage
Honey, I shrunk the king of the world.
by Scott Collura

December 10, 2009 - Yesterday we heard speculation that Avatar bigwig James Cameron's next film would likely be a sci-fi spin on Seven Samurai called Doomsday Protocol, but apparently those reports were inaccurate and in fact the filmmaker is thinking much… well, much smaller than that. Like Fantastic Voyage small.

MTV's Movies Blog caught up with the man himself, as well as Avatar producer Jon Landau, at last night's London premiere of the new film. And of course the site asked the pair what these rumors were all about.

It turns out that writer Shane Salerno -- scripter of Doomsday Protocol, a pitch he sold to Fox last year -- is working with Cameron, but it'll be on a 3-D updating of the 1966 Fantastic Voyage, not Protocol. And Cameron will be producing, not directing, the project.

The original Fantastic Voyage starred Stephen Boyd, Donald Pleasence and… wait for it… Raquel Welch in a scuba suit as a bunch of scientists who use a new technology to shrink to microscopic proportions, the Atom style, so that they can travel inside some bald guy's body. But it's much cooler than that makes it sound.

No, we don't know what's going on in this shot from the original Fantastic Voyage either... but we like it!
In fact, Cameron's interest in this project isn't news at all. Back in 2007 we reported that the filmmaker was set to produce a remake of the sci-fi classic with 2012 director Roland Emmerich helming. Obviously that never came to pass, but Cameron apparently couldn't get the incredible shrinking bug out of his system.

As for what Cameron will direct next, check out our brand new video interview with Landau where he hems and haws on the topic right here.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:46 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Sounds great to me. I love Fantastic Voyage, and with Cameron producing I'm sold.

I'd like to see a remake of the Incredible Shrinking Man one day. That is such a fantastic flick. Would love to see a new age take on it as well.