FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> A Scanner Darkly (2006)
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'm seeing it tonight.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:
I will see this on DVD while being incredibly stoned to where it'll actually make since and possibly cause a seizure.

See, I don't get that. Who the hell would find this movie confusing? I saw it stone-cold sober (unless you count caffeine), and it made perfect sense. See it when you get a chance, in any state you wish. It's far more commercial (for lack of a better word) than you've been led to believe.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Tobe Romero wrote:
Warner Independent Pictures has made the first 24 minutes of 'A Scanner Darkly' available as an online exclusive at IGN FilmForce

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/670/670907/vids_1.html

the first 23:40 made perfect sense to me
~IC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the source material coming from Philip K. Dick I can say I wouldn't check it out.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:21 am  Reply with quote

I really, really want to see this movie despite the reviews. I think that something revolutionary in film making is happening here, regardless of what I read, and so having said that I can't NOT see it when I find a place to do so.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I really, really want to see this movie despite the reviews. I think that something revolutionary in film making is happening here, regardless of what I read, and so having said that I can't NOT see it when I find a place to do so.

I haven't read any reviews. I can only imagine how badly they're treating this movie. Always keep in mind that these are the same people who think Titanic is high art.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:49 am  Reply with quote

I just got back from seeing it (my date rescheduled).

It was good. It moved right along and some fun scenes, great dialogue in places and a 'heady' theme. It wasn't really all that revolutionary besides the rotoscoping and the story was easy enough to decipher. I did get a little overstimulated by the end which was kind of odd. Pacing was a little flat...no real highs or lows but overall enjoyable. I would throw out seeing it during it's theatrical run if you are looking for something a little more thoughtful and moody but it wouldn't kill you if you had to wait for the dvd.
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:15 am  Reply with quote

Oh man, did I love this. The story and characters had me hooked. Keanu and Winona Ryder, who I usually can't stand, were perfect. Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Jr. were also awesome, and I adore Rory Cochrane so it was like casting heaven. Give me that artsy fartsy rotoscoping bullshit any day. I would totally offer Richard Linklater one of my A-game blowjobs or my firstborn child, whichever one he was into, just for bringing A Scanner Darkly into my universe. I saw this the day after I saw Irreversible, so I had two in a row push all the right buttons in me. Movies like this are why I love movies.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

It finally hit our town this weekend, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. I had pretty high hopes, and Linklater and crew didn't let me down. Everything about it was perfect. Keanu's character just about broke my heart until it all came together at the end.

Miss Wormwood wrote:
Movies like this are why I love movies.

Indeed, Miss W. Couldn't agree more!
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I almost always have a good time at the movies, unless the movie (or the audience) is just that bad. This was above and beyond good times with me. I was genuinely moved.

mrRAWK
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Miss Wormwood wrote:
Oh man, did I love this. The story and characters had me hooked. Keanu and Winona Ryder, who I usually can't stand, were perfect. Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Jr. were also awesome, and I adore Rory Cochrane so it was like casting heaven. Give me that artsy fartsy rotoscoping bullshit any day. I would totally offer Richard Linklater one of my A-game blowjobs or my firstborn child, whichever one he was into, just for bringing A Scanner Darkly into my universe. I saw this the day after I saw Irreversible, so I had two in a row push all the right buttons in me. Movies like this are why I love movies.

have you read the book?

i loved the book and the movie didn't disappoint a bit. even the political & social jab updates in the dialgue worked for me.
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

I haven't read any of Dick's writings. I would definitely love to if I had the time. Maybe during the next trip I take, I'll tackle it on the plane.

Oops -- I just realized you weren't asking me! Oh, well -- I answered anyway! Laughing
StephenG.Jones
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 am  Reply with quote

mrRAWK wrote:
i loved the book and the movie didn't disappoint a bit. even the political & social jab updates in the dialgue worked for me.

same here. beautiful experience. one of the better PKD adaptations so far, I think.