FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> LOST : Season 3 Discussion
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

** Possible Spoilers **

Please, since they are from themisfitishere.blogspot.com , take them with a grain of salt:

- Fake HENRY real name is Thomas Radzinsky
- Chris Shephard is both JACKS and Claires FATHER
- Kate chooses Sawyer!!
- Rose dies this season OF Cancer!!
- Sayid manages to rescue Kate & Sawyer but not Jack!!
- There is no Walt/Michael in the mini-series start to the Season!!
- There will be a Danielle flashback this season, currently planned for March 2007!!
- Locke leg injury was never a physical injury!!
- Libby's last name is Winchester!!
- Libbys husband was killed in the decking accident that Hurley thought he caused!!
- Libby was after Hurleys money as revenge!!
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

** More Potential Spoliers **
(a Comic-Con transcript)

Quote:
Lost' Producers Talk Season Three, Romance, Reruns and Bad Robots

Scott Huver
Hollywood.com Staff

It’s all about the Others…and maybe a little making out.

Or at least that’s what Lost producers Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse and Bryan Burk would have Hollywood.com believe when we cornered them at Comic-Con and asked for any scoop they could spare on Season Three.

Hollywood.com: So tell us everything about Season Three. Lay it all out for us.

Carlton Cuse: Robots. Bad robots. Good robots, actually, versus bad robots.

Damon Lindelof: One of the things that's really cool to us about Season Three is that we're not going to have reruns this year, which is sort of a big frustration, both for us creatively and the fans in terms of getting traction. We feel like we've all arrived at a compromise that's going to be awesome. As a result, the downside is that there is going to be thirteen weeks with no Lost. But we're designing almost a mini-season that's going to start the first week of October and run all the way through the middle of November with six consecutive episodes that will almost be sort of a self contained storyline, with it's own little mini-cliffhanger. That way, when we come back in February and run the remaining sixteen episodes, it should be fairly cool. We all sat down and worked out the entire season right when we finished Season Two. We didn't even break. All the writers went down to Hawaii, and we basically figured out what the tent poles of [Season Three] were going to be. At the end of episode six, a tremendous amount of stuff is going to be happening. I don't know how I could possibly be any vaguer in terms of specifics.

Cuse: Season Three is going to focus a lot more on the Others. It's going to be very different in feel from Season Two, which was really sort of playing around the Hatch. It'll be our characters interaction with the Others. We will come to know a little bit more about who they are or what they're society is like, what their mission is. Where they came from. Who leads and who comprises their society. So that's very much a part of the show. A lot of action adventure and definitely more romance this year on the show.

Bryan Burk: And just a lot of romance between us.

Cuse: And a lot more romance between us. Yes.

HW: Is the intention to humanize the Others more and make us like them more or just make us understand them more?

Lindelof: Well, I think like everything on Lost, your initial expectations are often confounded on the show and so whatever you're thinking about the Others right now, I’m pretty sure that you won't be thinking the same thing by the end of the season.

Burk: Yeah. I think that a lot of people have the wrong assumption about who these people are and how long they've been on the island and just like every other character on the show, I would be very interested to see what a Henry Gale flashback looked like. Again, you introduce a character in a very sort of conflict ridden scenario where you see them at their worst, but then gradually you being to see things from their side of it. So that's always been the plan on the show and going into Season Two, the big question was about what was in the Hatch and we feel that going in to Season Three, the big question is who are these other people on the island and why did they take Jack, Kate and Sawyer? Why do they want those three?

Lindelof: And actually a sort of Comic-Con exclusive, in Keyser Soze [from The Usual Suspects] fashion, Bryan Burk is actually the leader of the Others.

Burk: That is true.

HW: Sort of how Star Wars lost its luster, are you concerned with how popular Lost is and how bright it's burning and trying to maintain that brightness?

Cuse: I don't think that you can do anything about that. I think that we've had a really long run at the top of the sort of popular zeitgeist and I think that part is out of our control. Yes, new things will come along. I mean, clearly this year Grey's Anatomy is burning a lot brighter in the sort of popular culture light than Lost is. I think that all we can do is try to make the show as good as we can make it. I think that we can recognize that we're not destined to be at the forefront of popular culture with the show for an indefinite period of time.

Lindelof: We've done 49 hours of Lost now in just under two years. So the intensity at which the show burns fuel is much faster, as is the audience predilection to turn on it. When something is in popular culture, people like the minute it takes a misstep or makes a decision the audience doesn't like as a whole. Then they're quick to say that it's jumped the shark or they're over it. The reality is that we have to do a tap dance every week. George Lucas had fifteen years to put Episodes One, Two and Three together. I think that's why the fans were especially disappointed because they were like, “We waited all this time for that?!'”So with us every eight days we're generating a new episode of Lost, so there is no way we can avoid the inevitable “It's not as good as it once was.” Because it's either not as good as it once was or it's better, never been better. Those are the two poles.

HW: Are you still thinking about building it to a definite end? There was talk about doing movies...

Lindelof: The reality is that right now we have the benefit of staying in line according to the original plan. The metaphor that we always use is like, driving from New York to L.A. We're perfectly on course, but there will reach a point in our storytelling where have to go, “Oh, wow. We actually have to circle back and do a couple of loops to loops or we're going to get there too soon.” Once that happens for us creatively we're going to disconnect from the show. We're going to get jazzed because we don't want to stall anymore than the audience wants us to stall. So fortunately we've designed at least four seasons, potentially five, before we get to that point where we are making stuff up as we go along. I think that while the audience often accuses us of that there has to be an improvisational quality to television...

Cuse: Or it wouldn't be good. If we forced the storytelling you would actually feel worse. I mean, like Henry Gale, he was going to be in two episodes and the actor was so awesome that we ended up having him be in it longer. That was sort of the elasticity, but the plan to discover a prisoner in the hatch and have him turn out to be a significant member of the Others was always in place.

Burk: Or you can't write chemistry. Michelle Rodriguez’s character arc, from the word go, was always going to end in Season Two, but we were talking about her as being a love interest for Matthew Fox's character. But in their scenes together, those sparks never really materialized, so we just sort of had them be Army buddies. But we sort of cut bait on that storyline because you can't write chemistry.

Cuse:: If we had said, since that was our plan, we are going to force that chemistry, then people would've thought, “That's cheesy. I don't buy it.” So you have to sort of listen to the show and do what it tells you to do. I mean, we have an end point to the show. The problem is that we don't know when we're going to get there. We work in a network television environment in which as long as the show is successful, ABC has it. It's their job to make as much money off of the show as they can. I mean, we would love to say that after four or five seasons, the show is over. Like J. K. Rowling said: “There's going to be seven Harry Potter books. That’s it.” Everyone takes comfort in knowing her story is arriving at a conclusion and we're working in an open-ended environment. That’s really challenging because have a set amount of mythology, but we don't know how long it has to play out. So I guess that all we can sort of do is to encourage people to enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. That's what we have to do, too, because if we start thinking about the destination it freaks us out. Because we don't know where that is.

For some more insider hints about Season Three, check out Hollywood.com’s interviews with Lost’s Jorge Garcia and Daniel Dae Kim here!

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/movies/news/n9818.htm
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

'Lost,' Season 3: All about the Others

Quote:
IF YOU'D planned on spending the dog days of August working on your "Lost" theory - the one that explains everything from the polar bear to those parka-clad guys in last season's finale - maybe it's time you abandoned the quest and hit the beach instead.

Because there is no one explanation for what's gone on in the first two seasons of ABC's "Lost."

At least not according to executive producer Carlton Cuse.

"We hate to debunk" anyone's theory, Cuse said - though he and fellow show-runner Damon Lindelof have dismissed a few, including the one that posits that the characters on "Lost" are in some kind of purgatory.

And no, it's not that writers are keeping their options open, hoping to skim off viewers' best ideas when the time comes for the big reveal.

"I wish it was that easy. That would be great if we could actually do it," Cuse said at an ABC party in Pasadena, Calif., last month.

"I think that the mistake that most of the people who theorize about the show make is trying to come up with a very simple, you know, unifying theory," he said.

So while the writers have explanations for everything that's gone on in "Lost" so far - and script coordinator Gregg Nations keeps track of the documentation - "it doesn't reduce down to a single, simple sentence," Cuse said.

But if there's more than one theory at work on the island, doesn't that mean coincidence - that shaky crutch too often employed in TV drama - is a factor?

Not necessarily, insisted Cuse.

"There are theories in physics... that govern small particles, and there are Newtonian theories that govern gravitational fields for larger objects. Those two co-exist. They aren't unified into a single theory, but the connection between them is not coincidental," he said.

(Useful tip: Talking about Isaac Newton is the No. 1 way to shut up a reporter who only passed high school physics by writing a paper about the relationship between science and government.)

Fortunately, Cuse had less complicated things to say about "Lost" and about Season 3, which launches Oct. 4.

"The show's going to be about our characters' interaction with the Others. It's going to be more of an action-adventure year, more romance. We'd hoped to get romance last year, but the story didn't really get us there. We didn't get as far as we wanted in that regard," he said.

"It's going to be more character-oriented, less mythologically oriented. You know, last year was sort of dark and intense and underground and in the hatch," he said.

"Obviously, the other element that we introduced at the end of the season was that after 49 hours, we went off the island for the first time. And that was not a casual or coincidental or random choice," he said. "The introduction of the outside world as an element into the world of 'Lost' is also something new for Season 3."

And because the strongest link to that world so far is Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick), you can expect to see Desmond again, too, and not just in flashbacks.

"It would be very stupid of us to kill Desmond," Cuse said.

We'll also - eventually - see Michael (Harold Perrineau) and Walt (Malcolm David Kelley) again, he said.

"We were interested in exploring what price you would pay to get your son back. The price that Michael paid was so extreme, it didn't seem possible that he could remain a part of this society after what he had done," Cuse said, noting that banishment goes back to the Greeks.

"He's been banished from the island, and that to us represented sort of the necessary consequence of his action. It doesn't mean his story is over," he said.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/15239329.htm
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

click for more images from Season 3?
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Part of an interview with Entertainment Weekly's LOST guru, Jeff Jensen.

Quote:
JEFF: There is this theory I had earlier this year which is the “history theory” of LOST, which basically says there is this entire history that has unfolded on this island and all of these eras have impacted each other, and the whole thing is evolving over time. I think the key is the island, we need to figure out if the island is something special. Is it the garden of Eden? Is it this well spring of life creating electromagnetic energy? Is it this nexus between worlds? Or is it just an island? Without knowing, the odds are against you because there will always be this springboard for doubt.

DOC: Assuming “It is the island”…
JEFF: Well, then how was it effected by people who came there? Was it changed by Hanso, or by earlier people? And then, how were each of these groups of people affected by how the other people were effected. Do “The Others” have anything to do with Hanso? Did they mix and mingle with Dharma like they did with the Oceanic 815 people?

DOC: Your onto something…
JEFF: What I like about this idea is that the story is really about the history of this island, and we’re really just focusing on minor characters in a larger saga. And the more we learn, the more it expands. For instance, this whole part of the story could be about Desmond. Desmond could be the real hero of this story, even though we’ve just met him…

DOC: Right… he’s been there all along, and he’s really responsible for everything that has happened since the beginning of the series as far as just setting up the circumstances…
JEFF: Right.. it’s like some kind of Dickens or Victor Hugo novel where we’ve gone through all these characters to get to him. We might not even get to his story on the show specifically… maybe I’m going off the deep end here, but there are some interesting things going on here. It’s like LOST is this big picture that has been smashed into all these smaller pieces which are unrecognizable as pieces of a whole.

DOC: Yeah… Desmond really seems to be the Gilgamesh here, he has the most epic plot of all the characters. He races around the world, winds up at the gate of a god, struggles with his responsibilities, but returns to be the self sacrificing hero and redeem himself to people who are not forgotten, but lost to him…
JEFF: Ewwww yeah… and getting away from the mythological aspects, what do you think of this: has it been suggested that maybe Desmond was led to the island? Maybe Widmore knew he would crash there, and this whole race around the world thing wasn’t even real, just something Widmore set up to get rid of Desmond…

DOC: Hmmmmmm obviously Widmore knew he was there… that’s how Penny found out, without a doubt. Some kind of death bed confession...
JEFF: Yeah…

DOC: Well, y’know one thing, getting back to theories for a second, one thing people think they have deviated on is that everything is supposed to be explainable in scientific terms and now with mind reading clouds and all these strange forces…
JEFF: Whoa. That was a big issue, and I had the opportunity to speak with Carlton and Damon about that, so I can put this to rest right now. I asked them and here is what they told me. That is absolutely not true, they don’t recall saying it, and if they did, they retract it. You know, when you think about it, to say "everything will be explained by science" is pretty vague, and the Lost fans who have embraced this quote seem to be interpretting and applying its sentiment in a very narrow way. Science allows for some pretty far-out stuff. For example: quantum physics allows for the existence of alternate realities. And Carl Jung speculated on something called "the synchronicity theory," which is basically the equivalent to George Lucas' notion of The Force. If the producers decide to "explain" the island with an alternate reality theory, or the interconnections between characters with "synchronicity," then surely they would be able to say that they upheld their "everything will be explained by science" pledge. Right? (Again, assuming they really did pledge something akin to that at one point.)

DOC: Well, I always wondered if that was just an interpretation, because on the level of language you could make that comment and it wouldn’t mean that everything would make sense by what our science text books say. In the sense of the word, and the context, it could simply mean that everything would test true against the fabric of the LOST universe and that there wouldn’t be some cheap reveal out of left field like “it’s all a dream
JEFF: Could be…but I tell you. When I'm doing these theories, I always get these emails that say "that's stupid because the producers said..." and all this stuff about science. But I asked, and they said they NEVER had a hard position on it.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

** More Possible Spoilers **

* It will be revealed that Jack has met one of "The Others" back in the real world; this will relate to why he is the only one they are able to cooperate with, although he will be extremely wary in the beginning.

* Episode 3.02: Further Instructions (Claire centric)

We already know claires flashback features Mike and Jan, the new news is that the flashbacks also feature Eddie, a sweet but torn caucasian male in his 20s. There will also be a trooper in his 30s.

Episode 3.03: The Glass Ballerina (Sun and possibly Jin centric)

Sun has a dream of her future, featuring her 9 year old daughter.

Season 3 Misc:
Jack was just shooting a flashback all decked out in his hospital scrubs.
Kate will be making a choice in the first six episodes.
Jack is inside something you’d find in a science class.
Kate is on something we’ve seen before.
And Sawyer is surrounded by something through which he shares a connection with Jack’s father.

Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Secrets of the Numbers is revealed
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Only 22 more days ...
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

if you want to catch up on Lost that you missed , try
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Lost Rumors and the Origin of Dharma
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Season 3 Sneak Peek Video!
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:08 am  Reply with quote

That's it, if I have any other Lost questions, I'm coming right to this thread.

Thanks for all the links.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Don't forget, WED 9/27 , Lost will air "A Tale of Survival" - An insightful glimpse into the lives of the survivors of Oceanic Airlines flight 815 summarizes the show's first two seasons.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

'Lost': The Ultimate Viewer's Guide
Check out in-depth profiles of 12 major characters
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Another Season 3 Sneak Peek Video