FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> COMICS TALK- The Boys
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

I started reading this as soon as I heard Ennis was the writer. While I didn't really like the second arc of the series (where they go to Russia) everything else has been awesome.

And the pop culture references throughout this thing are hysterical. I.E. Animal House for super heroes. That killed me.

And the Butcher is one of the most bad ass characters I've seen in a comic in a long time. That dude is brutal!

Anybody else reading this? It's a great series and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Preacher.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

I read the first couple. I've been meaning to pick it back up. Man, I'm slacking so hard on my comics reading lately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:58 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

I go through intervals. Sometimes I won't read for months and months, and then I'll go through a period where I'm picking up issues every week. It's very odd.

Definitely follow up with the Boys. It's an excellent comic.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1305

I'll have to read THE BOYS as well. It comes highly recommended by many.
_________________
When you are beautiful it's only skin deep, but when you are ugly it's all the way through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

It's a great series. It's some of Ennis' best work. I mean it's not Preacher yet, but my god it's fucking bad ass.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

I'm huge Ennis mark, and I've been reading The Boys since it's debut.

IMHO, greatest superhero deconstruction since Watchmen. Completely cynical but uses the the comic as an excellent mirror of American culture and values at its worse. Very reminiscent of Ennis's approach to religion in Preacher.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
A Sound Mind
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 5

The Boys is awesome. I'm waiting for the showdown between Butcher and Hughie.
_________________
http://a-sound-mind.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHfwmTrDws
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 477
Location: Australia

I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A Sound Mind
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 5

Cash Bailey wrote:
I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.


I think he may have topped some of the outrageous elements of Preacher, but you're right. The Boys just doesn't have the heart of Preacher. You don't feel any connection with the characters.
_________________
http://a-sound-mind.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHfwmTrDws
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:16 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

A Sound Mind wrote:
Cash Bailey wrote:
I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.


I think he may have topped some of the outrageous elements of Preacher, but you're right. The Boys just doesn't have the heart of Preacher. You don't feel any connection with the characters.


I disagree there. While The Boys is a story far away different from Preacher, there are still character development that has been able to give the story a heart and soul. I've been drawn into Hughie's character ever since his tragic introduction. I think he's been a great character that has served as our (the reader's) link into the Boys' universe. He's naieve and morally conflicted like most of us would be in his shoes.

Also, I thought the Mothers Milk origin story was extremely strong and grounded that character as one i honestly will root for.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:19 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 477
Location: Australia

My favourite issue so far has to be the origin of The Female. That was great, not least because it had an awesome ASTERIX reference in it.

Although the origin of Frenchie was a close second. I was cracking up during that issue. Every terrible French cliche you've ever heard mixed into one hysterical brew of comedy and violence.

But speaking of Garth Ennis in general, some his best non-PREACHER work is actually in his war stories. He's said that he doesn't do them too often because they don't sell, but they're really beautiful pieces of storytelling.


Last edited by Cash Bailey on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Cash Bailey wrote:
I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.


At the time, DC was realling in Wildstorm from the wilderness of "mature readers". I guess they figured they had Vertigo, so they didn't need another. It not only affected The Boys but other titles as well. Authority and Midnighter had been toned down as well.

I always thought that Preacher reached it's "shock" zenith with the Hunters Story-arc (Jesus de Sade, Sexual Investigators, etc) after that the series buckled down and focused on it's tight narrative and character depth. Sure it was still violent and profane, but I think Ennis finally found the soul of that story and didn't want the "shock" to get in the way of expressing it.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
A Sound Mind
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:44 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 5

EvilRex wrote:
A Sound Mind wrote:
Cash Bailey wrote:
I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.


I think he may have topped some of the outrageous elements of Preacher, but you're right. The Boys just doesn't have the heart of Preacher. You don't feel any connection with the characters.


I disagree there. While The Boys is a story far away different from Preacher, there are still character development that has been able to give the story a heart and soul. I've been drawn into Hughie's character ever since his tragic introduction. I think he's been a great character that has served as our (the reader's) link into the Boys' universe. He's naieve and morally conflicted like most of us would be in his shoes.

Also, I thought the Mothers Milk origin story was extremely strong and grounded that character as one i honestly will root for.


Don't get me wrong, they are all great characters. Hughie is awesome! I just don't feel the same connection with any of them as I did for Jesse Custer. It could just be me though. I'm more interested in watching them slap the supes around. Very Happy
_________________
http://a-sound-mind.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHfwmTrDws
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:02 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

A Sound Mind wrote:
EvilRex wrote:
A Sound Mind wrote:
Cash Bailey wrote:
I'm reading this and it's great. Although it was dumped by DC pretty quickly and picked up somewhere else. According to Ennis it was because the DC brass don't appreciate comics where superheroes do appalling things. They feel it reflects badly on their roster of other heroes.

THE BOYS is pretty much everything you would expect from Garth Ennis. Although it's definitely much darker and more cynical than PREACHER while still being filthy, funny and violent.

In fact Ennis himself has said that he wants THE BOYS to "out-PREACHER PREACHER..." I'm not sure he's done that. As outrageous as PREACHER is I think it has much more heart than this. THE BOYS has a definite streak of nihilism about it.

But unlike other condescending 'comic books are fucking stupid' books like KICK-ASS, Garth Ennis actually has the chops to deliver a message, while entertaining the shit out of you with sharp, hilarious dialogue and seemingly limitless imagination in his storylines.

Not to mention I've not seen anything more obsessed with mocking gay sex since the last Kevin Smith movie.


I think he may have topped some of the outrageous elements of Preacher, but you're right. The Boys just doesn't have the heart of Preacher. You don't feel any connection with the characters.


I disagree there. While The Boys is a story far away different from Preacher, there are still character development that has been able to give the story a heart and soul. I've been drawn into Hughie's character ever since his tragic introduction. I think he's been a great character that has served as our (the reader's) link into the Boys' universe. He's naieve and morally conflicted like most of us would be in his shoes.

Also, I thought the Mothers Milk origin story was extremely strong and grounded that character as one i honestly will root for.


Don't get me wrong, they are all great characters. Hughie is awesome! I just don't feel the same connection with any of them as I did for Jesse Custer. It could just be me though. I'm more interested in watching them slap the supes around. Very Happy


Yeah, it's hard to come close to the bad-ass nobility and straight-shooting loyalty of Jesse Custer. So, I'm with you there.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Cash Bailey wrote:

But speaking of Garth Ennis in general, some his best non-PREACHER work is actually in his war stories. He's said that he doesn't do them too often because they don't sell, but they're really beautiful pieces of storytelling.


I would say his run on Punisher MAX is his best writing outside of Preacher. To include Punisher:Born. Punisher was just a straight up, hard crime series. No need for character depth and heart and all that stuff. Just stories of people fucking other people over until Frank Castle appears in their lives.

And, if you haven't, check out his Nick Fury MAX limited series.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Best-cellars

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum