FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> X-Men: First Class
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 am  Reply with quote

Wow! I can't believe I doubted Vaughn's ability to make a kick-ass X-Men film! Easily the best of the series. Michael Fassbender and Kevin 'Sizzling' Bacon ruled as Magneto and Shaw. The '60's setting worked wonderfully as well. And the cameo of everyone's favorite mutant was fucking hilarious! I only hope and pray Matt Vaughn is up to direct the next one!
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

Better than I thought it was going to be, but so fucking overrated.

James Mcavoy, Kevin Bacon, and Michael Fassbender are the best things about this movie. They all knocked it out of the park and delivered great performances. The plot is pretty standard comic book superhero stuff, but there are a lot of little things that drag the movie down.

Some of the dialogue is really hokey and corny, which completely contrasted the serious tone of the rest of the movie. The jokes about Professor X going bald, and the entire last scene with Magneto and Emma Frost were corny as hell.

Azazel and Riptide were totally useless characters. They had zero personality and I don't remember Riptide ever having a single line of dialogue. Even the X-Men were underdeveloped and shallow, but they were at least memorable.

Also, "Oh, I just so happen to have a giant mansion with a secret underground bunker... you know, just lying around."

Also, "Oh, you shouldn't hide who you are... and also you should be naked. Like, all the time. Naked."

Also, "Hey, you just murdered our boss, but I guess we'll go with you and follow all of your orders now."

And we'll ignore the laundry list of continuity errors, since nobody can seem to agree on whether or not it's a reboot or a remake.

All in all, it's a solid movie with a hell of a lot of little flaws and a couple great performances.

Edit: OH and it totally undermines the whole "equality" message of the movie when you kill off the ONLY black character and pretty much nobody else.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I dug it a lot. Not as good as X2, but certainly better than 3 and 1.

Agree with everything Nonserviam said essentially.

Really wish there was more focused on Eric and Charles' relationship. It was so wonderfully done that that's all I wanted to see whenever something else was happening. It was Joseph Gordon Levitt in Inception all over again.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
I dug it a lot. Not as good as X2, but certainly better than 3 and 1.

Agree with everything Nonserviam said essentially.

Really wish there was more focused on Eric and Charles' relationship. It was so wonderfully done that that's all I wanted to see whenever something else was happening. It was Joseph Gordon Levitt in Inception all over again.

I prefer First Class over X2. X2 was more Wolverine's story than anything else. While that's not a bad thing, it didn't really make it an X-Men film. I thought the bond between the X-Men in First Class was stronger and more believable than it was in Singer's entries as well.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
I prefer First Class over X2. X2 was more Wolverine's story than anything else. While that's not a bad thing, it didn't really make it an X-Men film. I thought the bond between the X-Men in First Class was stronger and more believable than it was in Singer's entries as well.

Wait... so a movie with Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Gray, Rogue, Ice Man, Storm, and Nightcrawler isn't an X-Men movie, just because it focuses on Wolverine?

Yet a movie with a bunch of C-list mutants like Darwin, Angel Salvatore, Banshee, Azazel, and Riptide somehow IS an X-Men movie?

Just saying.

Personally, I'd put X2 as the best, and this one on par with X-Men 1. I'd say in terms of being a straight up X-Men movie, though... X-Men 1 is the closest.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 am  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:

Wait... so a movie with Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Gray, Rogue, Ice Man, Storm, and Nightcrawler isn't an X-Men movie, just because it focuses on Wolverine?

Yet a movie with a bunch of C-list mutants like Darwin, Angel Salvatore, Banshee, Azazel, and Riptide somehow IS an X-Men movie?

Just saying.

Personally, I'd put X2 as the best, and this one on par with X-Men 1. I'd say in terms of being a straight up X-Men movie, though... X-Men 1 is the closest.
Popularity has nothing to do with what I said. How many memorable action set pieces do you recall from X2 that actually involved the X-Men working as a team? I don't recall one. And the Lady Deathstrike sequence doesn't count.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Popularity has nothing to do with what I said. How many memorable action set pieces do you recall from X2 that actually involved the X-Men working as a team? I don't recall one. And the Lady Deathstrike sequence doesn't count.

It's not even about popularity. First Class is a pretty random assortment of C-D list characters. It has more to do with iconography than anything, but then again, trying to label something as "an X-Men movie" is sort of abstract and subjective in the first place. The characters in X2 were more iconic than the ones in First Class, and that's the team that pretty much every person on the planet is going to think of when they think of the X-Men (give or take), so to me, it's way more of an "X-Men movie."

And I'd say the invasion of the school is pretty fucking memorable, as well as the scene in Iceman's parents' house with all the police. I don't really remember a scene where the mutants in First Class "work as a team." They're really only involved in one action scene at the end of the movie, and they all kind of split up and each do their own thing, only crossing paths occasionally.

Honestly, First Class never really felt like an "X-Men movie" to me. It's just not what I think of when I think of the X-Men. Not that this really matters in the end, since being an "X-Men movie" and being a good movie are not mutually exclusive. For example, Nolan's movies don't feel like "Batman movies" at all, and they've done pretty well lol.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

You nailed it nonserv. X2 just works great as a movie, which is the first step to being a great xmen movie.

And the mutants work together as a team throughout the film. The school invasion, the Bobby's house scene, the Mystique break in and eventual rescue of the children and Xavier.

Not to take anything away from First class, but honestly the most interesting thing in the movie was Xavier's and Erics relationship...and when it isn't on screen...the film is kind of ...bleh.

I could have watched 90 minutes of Magneto hunting nazi's though.
resevil80
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Damn, I thought it was fucking awesome....IMO the best Super Hero Flick so far.....The Performance of EVERYONE elevated because not only were the action sequences great, so was the acting.

And I concur on Watching Magneto hunt Nazis for 90 minutes...that's a movie that needs to be made.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:17 am  Reply with quote

I know Singer has a lot of fanboys, I'm just not one of them. That's not to say that I'm not a fanboy of a different kind. The best thing Singer ever did with the X-Men films was his handling and casting of Wolverine.