FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Electronic Arts the greatest turn around ever?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

It's pretty amazing to me how seemingly overnight EA went from being the most despised publisher/developer in gaming to the AAA powerhouse that they've become today. I don't think I've ever been witness to anything like it. Hell, today they rival the likes of Ubi Soft Montreal.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 am  Reply with quote

If you buy enough companies, you will eventually buy some quality. I hope they can figure out which games are good and which are shovelware (which has been a problem for them in the past). I never liked EA, but I try to always support original, fun games.
Pestilence
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:25 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

EA did indeed start out totally shit. But as Meth says, the more successful companies you buy, the better your image becomes.

EA themselves (as a base) are no less shit than they've ever been. In fact, their policies are just plain ridiculous as far as PC gaming goes, however the developers that they've taken over are another story. They're a powerhouse now, no doubt - but a respectable powerhouse? I don't think so.
Elf
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:54 am  Reply with quote

I don't know, "Dead Space" was pretty awesome though.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Elf wrote:
I don't know, "Dead Space" was pretty awesome though.

That's an understatement as far as I'm concerned. It is the best game I have ever played. Downfall is an amazing animated movie and the webisodes were icing on the cake. EA Redwood Shores created a more epic shooter than anyone else ever has in just one game without having people resort to reading trashy novels. If I wasn't boycotting Nintendo I'd buy a Wii just to play the prequel.
Jordan_Atombomb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 am  Reply with quote

EA actually started out as an amazing bastion of PC goodness. I remember being much younger and seeing that a PC game was done by EA and that instantly sold me on just about any title. And I was almost never wrong.

They really turned into the bad guys last gen by running franchises into the ground. It's funny because 5 years ago- if you'd told me that I would be rooting for EA and hating Activision with all my guts I would have laughed at you but here it is and it is what it is.

I will say this- THQ is poised to become the number 2 leader in the industry after Activision destroys itself and EA retakes the number 1 spot. Anyone who has played Red Faction, Saints Row, UFC, Darksiders.....you know how good those titles are......they're pumping out some absolutely killer stuff
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 am  Reply with quote

Yep. EA published/developed some great PC games which is why I never ripped on them when it was fashionable to do so even though I had nothing but hatred for them. Medal of Honor is poised to take back the crown and EA is serious about it.

THQ eh? Red Faction is an excellent series even if the first two didn't live up to what they were talking about but Guerilla definitely did and then some. Haven't played any of those other games but I'll take your word for it.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

A lot of it was, they trusted more of their independent guys, and then it was the fact that Activision basically became the goddam devil under Bobby "Cocksucker" Kotick. Now, with all of the gutting of studios and layoffs, the shuttering of Pandemic, and the fact that they're going to make people who buy used Sports games in '11 pay $10 extra to play online multiplayer shows that EA's turnaround isn't that spectacular.

Still, I will give the devil their due. They are putting out some good games. But I'd rather support Rockstar and Valve more.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell