FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Buy Deadly Premonition!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Step into the Way Back Time Machine, won't you? Good. Now set it for 2000. *psychedelic music*....

Ah, 2000. We were bitching about how lame Scream 3 was. Poor old Clinton was still getting shit for being a playa. Gamers were playing RE3 while waiting impatiently for Silent Hill 2. The PS2 just came out and I was playing Orphen. Am I setting the mood? Good.

DUDE! There's this awesome new game called Deadly Premonition! You have to play it! It's about a FBI agent that gets sent to a small town because of the murder of a young woman, just like that show Twin Peaks. Once you get there, the gameplay is a cross between RE (you get guns) and Silent Hill (melee weapons) but your gun has a laser sight that you aim at the monsters and can even score headshots. The town is like the one in Silent Hill, but you can actually drive a car around instead of walking.You meet different people and interview them, and some even have little side missions for you to do and reward you with cool stuff like more storage space or a faster car.

The best thing about this game is the humor. Your coffee tells you your fortune, the voice in your head talks about old movies, and even brings up The Deadly Spawn! Some of the townsfolk are nutty and the whole game has a very surreal vibe to it. Funny and wacky one minute and the next somebody's trying to talk without a tongue, spitting out blood and red seeds. You'd have to be there. Go buy this game man, it's only $20!

Any of that sound good? If not, I can understand why. This game really did come out 10 years too late. The controls, graphics and sound are dated. Dreamcast dated. People are going to point and laugh at this one, and it's a damn shame. If you can think of this one like a long lost game just getting released, there's a good chance you'll find something to like about it. It truly is a unique experience and if you got a fucked-up sense of humor and can look past it's faults, it's worth every penny.

If you don't play, you'll never solve the biggest mystery of all- just how does the bread in the turkey sandwich stay dry and not get soggy?? Confused
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Great post.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

A perfect 10.

I feel like I should be rushing out to buy this one. I bet it's going to be worth alot of money eventually.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Great post.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

A perfect 10.

I feel like I should be rushing out to buy this one. I bet it's going to be worth alot of money eventually.

If that's a "review" then I'm a devout christian. Everyone's welcome to their opinion, of course, but just because you have a website doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Nor does it make you a trained critic of any kind. "It's so bad, it's perfect"? I'm sure he's just trying to make a statement, but in the process he's removed any reason to take his site seriously on future reviews.

The game does look like it's worth playing, though not enough to import it or buy a 360. It probably will become a collector's item.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Word is getting around fast about it. 2 of my buddies called me last night telling me they were gonna pick it up. This sounds like bad on an epic scale and worthy of a 10.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I read that review also. Giving it a 10 is just his attempt to give a little known game some publicity, and while I agree it's so bad it's good, that score is a joke. I doubt anyone will take it seriously.

When you've been playing games as long as some of us have, you've played worse. It seems like the older crowd is appreciating what the game is trying to do, even if it trips over it's own feet every step of the way.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I get what he's trying to do and think that anyone that does take it seriously is dumb. My buddy told me he also wrote an article about why this game is better than Heavy Rain which I haven't read. He's having fun and ruffling feathers while giving the game some exposure. What's the harm?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like he'd be better off just starting his own radio talk show, if that's his goal. He can say whatever he wants, and I'm all for helping smaller titles find exposure, but I'd have trouble believing any score he gave any other game.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am  Reply with quote

I've never been to that site before and won't start now so it doesn't make a difference to me. The review itself is well written. I think scores are so meaningless anyway.

I'll never forgive IGN's bad review of Quantum Redshift though.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Seems he's got a vendetta against "Heavy Rain", with no less than 4 rantings against it on the site. They finally started including a disclaimer about his "opinions not reflecting the views of the site, yada-yada-yada". You can either review a subject or flaunt your biases, but you can't do both and be taken seriously. I used 'score' metaphorically...I meant his word in general on whatever he may 'review'.

That all has little to do with this game, which I think sounds interesting. If it was a PS2 game I'd own it right now. I've been looking for the next "Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman" for a long time now.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
Seems he's got a vendetta against "Heavy Rain", with no less than 4 rantings against it on the site. They finally started including a disclaimer about his "opinions not reflecting the views of the site, yada-yada-yada". You can either review a subject or flaunt your biases, but you can't do both and be taken seriously. I used 'score' metaphorically...I meant his word in general on whatever he may 'review'.

That all has little to do with this game, which I think sounds interesting. If it was a PS2 game I'd own it right now. I've been looking for the next "Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman" for a long time now.

Dude, are you a fucking mind-reader or what? I was going to compare this game to Rising Zan! I loved that game.

I do agree with Floyd, numerical scores are pretty much pointless, and if giving this a 10 gets people talking, that's great. But better than Heavy Rain? That's just absurd. No, I don't own a PS3, but I know quality when I see it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

What would you guys rather have? A sealed copy of Deadly Premonition or a first edition/first printing of My Pretty Pony?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

"My Pretty Pony". I could buy "Deadly Premonition" and an X360 to play it on with what I make off of eBay.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

OK Frank I bought it. 20 hours of absurdity for the cost of a night out at the movies with your better half can't be passed up.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

If this were on the PS3 I'd have already picked it up. Looks like it was PS3 in Japan only so I'll have to play Rule of Rose again to get my flawed survival horror game fix.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 am  Reply with quote

ok, once I can afford it, I'll grab it!