Dan Ackroyd
Dana Carvey
Mike Meyers
John Candy
Chris Farley
Jack Black

I guess now I'm thinking SNL

Robin Williams is amazing.

One of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life, and maybe someone can help me here, was a few years ago during the Academy Awards when Jack Black and a comedian that I cannot remember wrote and sang the lyrics to the song they play when people go on too long and they want to get them off the stage. Had me rolling in tears.

EDIT

Note to self: Learn to use Youtube and Google.

It was Will Ferrell and here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoXLu9Rz70g
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Bill Murray
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

A friend of mine said Bill Murray the other night when I brought this topic up, and I believe there's got to be a line drawn somewhere between sketch comedians and stand-ups. Murray's a great performer, going all the way back to his time with Second City, but I don't think he's ever done stand-up ... which, much as I hate to take anything away from Murray (easily one of my top 5 favorite actors of all time), sort of makes him just a little bit less of a through and through 'comedian' in my eyes.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
A friend of mine said Bill Murray the other night when I brought this topic up, and I believe there's got to be a line drawn somewhere between sketch comedians and stand-ups. Murray's a great performer, going all the way back to his time with Second City, but I don't think he's ever done stand-up ... which, much as I hate to take anything away from Murray (easily one of my top 5 favorite actors of all time), sort of makes him just a little bit less of a through and through 'comedian' in my eyes.

I agree which is why I hesitated to bring up some of the guys that are actors rather than stand-up but at the end of the day funny is funny and some of these guys just can't be overlooked. I love Bill Murray. Another amazing guy was Peter Sellers. One of the funniest guys I've ever seen but back in his day they didn't even have stand-up so should he be left out of the discussion?

Also Steve Martin.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I forgot Jeff Dunham. The man is fucking hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

What, no Dane Cook love? Could it be because he's a no-talent hack who is the nadir of observational humor?
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
What, no Dane Cook love? Could it be because he's a no-talent hack who is the nadir of observational humor?

Dane Cook blows. BIG time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dane Cook makes Jim Gaffigan look like Emo Phillips.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:05 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Floydian Trip wrote:

I agree which is why I hesitated to bring up some of the guys that are actors rather than stand-up but at the end of the day funny is funny and some of these guys just can't be overlooked. I love Bill Murray. Another amazing guy was Peter Sellers. One of the funniest guys I've ever seen but back in his day they didn't even have stand-up so should he be left out of the discussion?

Also Steve Martin.

They didn't have stand-up in Peter Sellers' day?

Dude, Sellers started out doing stand-up. Besides, what about Bob Hope? The guy spent all of WWII standing up in front of thousands of troops, swinging a golf club and telling bad knock-knock jokes. What was that? Kabuki theater?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Also Steve Martin.

They didn't have stand-up in Peter Sellers' day?

Dude, Sellers started out doing stand-up. Besides, what about Bob Hope? The guy spent all of WWII standing up in front of thousands of troops, swinging a golf club and telling bad knock-knock jokes. What was that? Kabuki theater?

Wasn't Sellers more of a Vaudeville kind of guy? I don't go all the way back with him.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

If we're talking about the old timers then:

Rowan and Martin
Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin
Abbott and Costello
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Lenny Bruce, ftw.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

In all fairness FT said Comedian not Stand Up Comedian.