FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Halo: Reach
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Any Halo fans left?

Halo was my most anticipated game back on PC. I was drooling over every screenshot, concept art, level and design features. It was going to blow my mind without a doubt. Then Microsoft bougtht Bungie and announced Halo was now a console game for the latest company to get in on the console wars. I was crushed. Just another dumbed down, horrible console FPS.

Still, the day the XBox launched I was there buying Halo. It was the only game I was going to own for close to a year afterward. Playing it over and over again. What I found was that even on console it was a mindblowing experience. It absolutely crushed every other FPS on a console that came before and set a new standard.

To put it mildly I didn't care for Halo 2 or 3. Halo 2 was basically a multiplayer game and Halo 3 didn't tell the story I was expecting.

Then ODST came along and while just an expansion pack served to put my faith back in Bungie because it was the Halo game I had been waiting for since the first.,

Reach is coming soon and I have a good feeling about. Bungie is back on the right track and is going to deliver this time on the final game in the series.

I want to control a Pelican. Please Bungie!
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 pm  Reply with quote

My limited experience with "Halo" tells me it's one of the most overrated series in the gaming industry. Unless you're a giant FPS fan, it's just like every other military shooter game there has ever been. "Halo", "Call of Duty", "Ghost Recon"... nothing really different about any of them. They all share the same goal - A.) pick up weapon, B.) shoot someone. I like "TimeSplitters" because it never once pretends that there is anything more to it. You want original in a FPS? Try "Bioshock" or "Mirror's Edge" - same perspective but a wholly different approach.

I'm admittedly biased, though, because I'm getting to the point where I'm about to stop considering military shooters to be actual 'games', or at least to be the lowest-common-denominator of games, like sports games. Games preferred by people who can't play more complex games. Elitist? You're damn right. Someone has to save my favorite hobby from mainstreamization (which, as we know, kills anything it comes into contact with).

(hadn't ranted in days)
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 am  Reply with quote

The FPS is king and always will be. No other genre of game pushes gaming technology as much as the FPS does.

Halo was a breakthrough in FPS gaming on the console, aside freom being a great game, and will always hold an important spot in the history of gaming because of it.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Still a halo fan, and can't wait to see what's in store.

MethRattle wrote:
My limited experience with "Halo" tells me it's one of the most overrated series in the gaming industry. Unless you're a giant FPS fan, it's just like every other military shooter game there has ever been. "Halo", "Call of Duty", "Ghost Recon"... nothing really different about any of them. They all share the same goal - A.) pick up weapon, B.) shoot someone. I like "TimeSplitters" because it never once pretends that there is anything more to it. You want original in a FPS? Try "Bioshock" or "Mirror's Edge" - same perspective but a wholly different approach.

I'm admittedly biased, though, because I'm getting to the point where I'm about to stop considering military shooters to be actual 'games', or at least to be the lowest-common-denominator of games, like sports games. Games preferred by people who can't play more complex games. Elitist? You're damn right. Someone has to save my favorite hobby from mainstreamization (which, as we know, kills anything it comes into contact with).

(hadn't ranted in days)

As for all fps's are the same, the gameplay style is severely different, and can change by simply adding a run button(call of duty=too fast past), or you're jumping like a maniac blasting plasma, or throwing stick grenades(halo=the in between speed), or you're ducking for cover, placing c4, and hunting your opponents(rainbow six vegas=slower paced for the most part).

Each has different play style that have their place in the world. Until you've played all of them don't say their all the same, as the gameplay style can make a world of difference.