FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Batman 3 and Superman Movie News
X-Count
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:13 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

I, personally, am excited where the next Batman movie will go. And while I absoultely despise Superman. I'd love to see the Death of Superman story done in live-action. That'd be interesting.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Superman needs someone to punch. That's the main thing. Luthor is great and all, but Superman can't go toe to toe with him because he'll break him. Bring in more of the comics this time. Superman has GREAT villains that have never been in the movies. I want to see Parasite or Metallo or Braniac or Darkseid.

After all, a hero is only as good as their villains. It's why Batman is so interesting.


Yeah, saving people is so been there done that.


It's just not nearly as exciting as seeing him scrap with a villain. I mean, his biggest treat throughout 4 movies so far has been a green rock.


Dude, you're forgetting nuclear man, Zod and his minions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:31 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1463

Terminal wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Superman needs someone to punch. That's the main thing. Luthor is great and all, but Superman can't go toe to toe with him because he'll break him. Bring in more of the comics this time. Superman has GREAT villains that have never been in the movies. I want to see Parasite or Metallo or Braniac or Darkseid.

After all, a hero is only as good as their villains. It's why Batman is so interesting.


Yeah, saving people is so been there done that.


It's just not nearly as exciting as seeing him scrap with a villain. I mean, his biggest treat throughout 4 movies so far has been a green rock.


Dude, you're forgetting nuclear man, Zod and his minions.

We all want to forget Nuclear Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:45 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

frank_dracman wrote:
Terminal wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Superman needs someone to punch. That's the main thing. Luthor is great and all, but Superman can't go toe to toe with him because he'll break him. Bring in more of the comics this time. Superman has GREAT villains that have never been in the movies. I want to see Parasite or Metallo or Braniac or Darkseid.

After all, a hero is only as good as their villains. It's why Batman is so interesting.


Yeah, saving people is so been there done that.


It's just not nearly as exciting as seeing him scrap with a villain. I mean, his biggest treat throughout 4 movies so far has been a green rock.


Dude, you're forgetting nuclear man, Zod and his minions.

We all want to forget Nuclear Man.


I defy you to find a Superman villain with longer nails! I defy you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Superman needs someone to punch. That's the main thing. Luthor is great and all, but Superman can't go toe to toe with him because he'll break him. Bring in more of the comics this time. Superman has GREAT villains that have never been in the movies. I want to see Parasite or Metallo or Braniac or Darkseid.

After all, a hero is only as good as their villains. It's why Batman is so interesting.


Yeah, saving people is so been there done that.


It's just not nearly as exciting as seeing him scrap with a villain. I mean, his biggest treat throughout 4 movies so far has been a green rock.


I think that's why I've always found the Superman movies rather bland. I mean Donner's stuff is great, don't get me wrong....its just that...there are no stakes.

Superman is the strongest super hero ever created. When his main villain is a guy obsessed with getting a shit ton of land it doesn't make for that interesting of a story.

I want him to hit some shit, get pissed, have a love interest be killed, give him something to mull over.

If Lex Luthor found out his identity, and then one by one started offing the people he loved and cared about, that'd give Supes some shit to chew on.

But whatever, I guess we can just have him staring at people through in their home and looking sad.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X-Count
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:48 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1301
Location: Eating Lo Mein!!!

You know it's a wonder that no one knows that Superman pretends to be Clark Kent. I mean, all he does is don a suit and tie with glasses and all of a sudden people don't seem the resemblance? I dunno what Siegel and Shuster were on when they created him, but they made the entire city of Metropolis incredibly fucking stupid when they did that.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/abloodyshadow
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506478793
http://juon408.dvdaf.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:44 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 1180

Best Superman-ish moment in the whole series? "Superman III", when drunk Superman is sitting in a bar breaking bottles by flipping peanuts into them. THAT'S the tone the rest of the movies should have had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:34 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 5679
Location: Cleveland, OH

I like Batman, but hate Supes so much. He has no good, dramatic reason for being the hero is he. Why is he a good guy? Because he was raised by a nice couple from Kansas. Ugh. Makes me feel like a traitor, too, since I went to the same high school as Siegel and Shuster. Can't really comment on a movie though, since I have no interest in tha character.

Loved Zod though. Go figure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:47 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I like Batman, but hate Supes so much. He has no good, dramatic reason for being the hero is he. Why is he a good guy? Because he was raised by a nice couple from Kansas. Ugh. Makes me feel like a traitor, too, since I went to the same high school as Siegel and Shuster. Can't really comment on a movie though, since I have no interest in tha character.

Loved Zod though. Go figure.


Well it's an interesting take on the Superman, but the way I look at it, Superman is pretty much the iconic double to Batman. Like him he was orphaned at a young age losing his parents to consequences beyond his control and he's granted an amazing power that he uses to help not hurt. An alien with amazing abilities could easily have been inspired to control the world. Instead he uses that advantage to help others weaker than him. I've just always found that inspiring. Superman is the hero in all of us and always represents that quality of humanity who is unwavering in its ability to help others. Of course this is just speaking as a hardcore fan since the age of five.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:50 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 5679
Location: Cleveland, OH

I've always found Marvel's version of Supes, Hyperion, way more interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:54 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Whatever you say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:25 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1463

MethRattle wrote:
Best Superman-ish moment in the whole series? "Superman III", when drunk Superman is sitting in a bar breaking bottles by flipping peanuts into them. THAT'S the tone the rest of the movies should have had.

You know, I haven't seen Superman 3 since it was released, and that's all I remember about it. That, and there's a giant killer computer created by the Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4003
Location: Hollyweird

Read an interesting article awhile back about why the character of Superman no longer resonates with people anymore. For the most part, it was pretty true... but I've always found that there we interesting parts of the character to explore (and honestly, I thought Singer did some interesting things with that in "Returns"). Seeing a God try to deal with his life among mortal men is a pretty interesting thing a lot of writers have tried to explore recently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

Terminal wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I like Batman, but hate Supes so much. He has no good, dramatic reason for being the hero is he. Why is he a good guy? Because he was raised by a nice couple from Kansas. Ugh. Makes me feel like a traitor, too, since I went to the same high school as Siegel and Shuster. Can't really comment on a movie though, since I have no interest in tha character.

Loved Zod though. Go figure.


Well it's an interesting take on the Superman, but the way I look at it, Superman is pretty much the iconic double to Batman. Like him he was orphaned at a young age losing his parents to consequences beyond his control and he's granted an amazing power that he uses to help not hurt. An alien with amazing abilities could easily have been inspired to control the world. Instead he uses that advantage to help others weaker than him. I've just always found that inspiring. Superman is the hero in all of us and always represents that quality of humanity who is unwavering in its ability to help others. Of course this is just speaking as a hardcore fan since the age of five.


I'll be honest, I just never really thought of that.

You sir just granted me a little bit more respect and interest in the character. That is indeed very inspiring and i guess because I was always looking for the darker edgier reason to do good I never really just picked up on the fact that Superman is just a good person. It's okay to be just good. I kind of like that.
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 5530

The Buz wrote:
Terminal wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I like Batman, but hate Supes so much. He has no good, dramatic reason for being the hero is he. Why is he a good guy? Because he was raised by a nice couple from Kansas. Ugh. Makes me feel like a traitor, too, since I went to the same high school as Siegel and Shuster. Can't really comment on a movie though, since I have no interest in tha character.

Loved Zod though. Go figure.


Well it's an interesting take on the Superman, but the way I look at it, Superman is pretty much the iconic double to Batman. Like him he was orphaned at a young age losing his parents to consequences beyond his control and he's granted an amazing power that he uses to help not hurt. An alien with amazing abilities could easily have been inspired to control the world. Instead he uses that advantage to help others weaker than him. I've just always found that inspiring. Superman is the hero in all of us and always represents that quality of humanity who is unwavering in its ability to help others. Of course this is just speaking as a hardcore fan since the age of five.


I'll be honest, I just never really thought of that.

You sir just granted me a little bit more respect and interest in the character. That is indeed very inspiring and i guess because I was always looking for the darker edgier reason to do good I never really just picked up on the fact that Superman is just a good person. It's okay to be just good. I kind of like that.


I think so too. It's really the essence of Superman. Well put Terminal.

I enjoyed Superman Returns a lot and I think it's a much better movie than it's given credit for. I really appreciated that at it's heart it was not an action movie. But it needed a pepper up it's ass. I agree with nonserviam that what really needs to show up is someone/something for Superman to punch and that can coming punching back in return. You can still have a thoughtful, maybe even soulfull, approach to story and character but still have the most powerful thing on the planet kick monster/robot/alien ass. Think of Casino Royale perhaps.


I don't see any reason to reboot. The only thing that was introduced in Return that you can't go back from is his son. There's no reason he needs to be central to any story or theme, at least in a next film...eventually it would have to be I think. But even if he was there's all sorts of themes and story that could be very interesting.

And I love the thought of Darkseid and/or Apokoplis being introduced but I doubt it would happen. Still, interesing to think that the core of that mythology are the sons of two of the mightiest beings in the cosmos....hmmmmmmm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum