FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dark Void.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, Crimson Skies. You can pick it up for around 4 bucks and it's compatible with the 360. Don't let the price fool you, it's one of the best aerial combat games you'll ever play. Multiple air crafts, all upgradable (except for the James Bond inspired mini-copter) and they are different enough to try at least once. It has a great campaign and the mutiplayer is surprisingly active for an older game. Too bad there was never a sequel. Dark Void attempts to fill that void (yuk yuk), but does it reach the same level of quality as its older brother? Sadly, no.

I don't like flight simulators or Ace Combat-type of games, but Crimson Skies is one of my favorite Xbox games. When Dark Void finally came out, I ran to the store and grabbed it. The opening level is one of those "we'll start you out with everything to show you what's in store and then take it all away" levels. And it was great. Flying around with a jetpack shooting bad guys while performing barrel rolls with a control scheme straight out of Crimson Skies. But then the game grounds you. The first few levels are you running around, ducking into cover shooting the enemies like any other third person shooter. You gradually get your jetpack back along with an assortment of incredibly mediocre weapons. They are all upgradeable, but good luck trying to scavenge enough money to get at least one of the six guns maxed out, let alone all of them.

Soon you are introduced to the vertical cover system that somehow manages to be dull. Sure, you're hanging one the side of a cliff, but it's still the same "stop and pop" gameplay only with a different viewpoint. The real problem is you spend more time on the ground and/or hovering than actually flying and that's what really hurts this game. It all feels rushed, the bosses are uninspired and just when it starts to get interesting, it ends. A few more flying levels would have worked wonders.

The replay value is pretty nonexistent, as the only thing you get is a radar upgrade that shows you where the collectibles are. Given the fact that currency is so rare in this game, they should have given you this from the start so you could at least upgrade a couple weapons for variety.

I could go on, but the game is a 2 1/2 at best. So many cool ideas fall flat. Potential is there but goes untapped. A big disappointment for anyone waiting for some more good dog fighting action. Skip this, go get Crimson Skies and jump into mutiplayer before Microsoft shuts the doors on Xbox online services.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:40 am  Reply with quote

I played the demo of this on PS3...take that flying sequence and go make a proper "Rocketeer" game, stat!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 am  Reply with quote

MethRattle wrote:
I played the demo of this on PS3...take that flying sequence and go make a proper "Rocketeer" game, stat!

Sounds so simple, eh? Somehow they took that idea and screwed it up...