FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The 82nd Academy Awards - The Nominees Have Been Announced
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Could you imagine JC trying to make a movie out of a Kaufman or Tarantino script?

Probably not...but the effort would be stupendous to see!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I hear ya but a James Cameron movie is a James Cameron movie to me and I wouldn't want them any different. Could you imagine JC trying to make a movie out of a Kaufman or Tarantino script? Haha, oh no.

That's all good, but that does not make his movies Oscar-worthy.

Because if that is all it takes, you could say that a Boll movie is a Boll movie and some wouldn't want it any different. Could Boll make a good movie if he directed a script meant for Besson or Tykwer?

Yes, it does make his movies Oscar worthy. He's a genious. A true master filmmaker.

I still laugh over Uncle Creepy calling Wes Craven a master filmmaker. That's a very small and select group of guys as far as I'm concerned.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I hear ya but a James Cameron movie is a James Cameron movie to me and I wouldn't want them any different. Could you imagine JC trying to make a movie out of a Kaufman or Tarantino script? Haha, oh no.

That's all good, but that does not make his movies Oscar-worthy.

Because if that is all it takes, you could say that a Boll movie is a Boll movie and some wouldn't want it any different. Could Boll make a good movie if he directed a script meant for Besson or Tykwer?

Yes, it does make his movies Oscar worthy. He's a genious. A true master filmmaker.

I still laugh over Uncle Creepy calling Wes Craven a master filmmaker. That's a very small and select group of guys as far as I'm concerned.

A master filmmaker is not a guy who can dorect but writes crappy scripts.

A master filmmaker is someone who can do it all and do it well, like Besson, Tykwer, Tarantino, ...

Cameron is not a good writer, maybe a good director (most of the time) but not a good writer. He's pretty full of himself and probably thinks he's a good writer at times, but that don't make it so.

You might need to broaden your horizon a bit, see more movies in the same categories as what Cameron does. Terminator and Aliens were both very good, but still not very well written (and he had help on those movies). Titanic was a bore, overly long and cheesy as hell.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Well, Emy then I suppose you don't consider the aforementioned Ridley Scott to be a master filmmaker either.

I love all of Cameron's movies. All of them, including the amazing Titanic and the much maligned True Lies. The Abyss moves me more emotionally than any other movie.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

And furthermore I consider Peter Jackson to be the greatest filmmaker of our time yet he writes his scripts with his wife. So where do you draw the line?

I'm pretty sure there's a good reason to have a category for both Best Film and screenplay.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Well, Emy then I suppose you don't consider the aforementioned Ridley Scott to be a master filmmaker either.

I love all of Cameron's movies. All of them, including the amazing Titanic and the much maligned True Lies. The Abyss moves me more emotionally than any other movie.

Ridley Scott is a completely different type of fish to me. Much better director then Cameron. And he knows how to pick good scripts and does not write himself probably because he knows other people do it better then he could.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Ridley Scott is a completely different type of fish to me. Much better director then Cameron. And he knows how to pick good scripts and does not write himself probably because he knows other people do it better then he could.

If humility is what you're looking for then Cameron is definitely not your man. I admire his confidence.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
And furthermore I consider Peter Jackson to be the greatest filmmaker of our time yet he writes his scripts with his wife. So where do you draw the line?

I'm pretty sure there's a good reason to have a category for both Best Film and screenplay.

I have not seen The Lovely Bones, so I cannot say whether or not I personally like it or think it's good or not. I keep hearing about people that were let down by it majorly though.

And yeah, Cameron is not humble to say the least. I would not say it is confidence at this point, it is maybe a bit of over-confidence. Being humble is so much nicer then full of yourself.

I respect that Scott can see that he better direct something he did not write. Cameron could learn a few things from Scott, as well as he could learn to write better quality scripts.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

I hope Cameron wins for director. I also hope that if he does he'll go out to that podium and proclaim himself king of the world again. That'd be fucking great.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I have not seen The Lovely Bones, so I cannot say whether or not I personally like it or think it's good or not. I keep hearing about people that were let down by it majorly though.

And yeah, Cameron is not humble to say the least. I would not say it is confidence at this point, it is maybe a bit of over-confidence. Being humble is so much nicer then full of yourself.

I respect that Scott can see that he better direct something he did not write. Cameron could learn a few things from Scott, as well as he could learn to write better quality scripts.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with the quality of his scripts. They serve their purpose and I've seen alot worse. Much, much worse. I don't think he's over-confident. I think he knows what he can and can't do. Besides being a great filmmaker takes alot of confidence. That is the first thing a person needs. Without it filmmaking shouldn't be their thing.
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

But what about Bigelow for The Hurt Locker?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:

Did she get nominated or not. She should be. The Hurt Locker blows away anything she's ever done before including Near Dark.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

I guess this time he'd be king of the universe
Emy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Emy wrote:

Did she get nominated or not. She should be. The Hurt Locker blows away anything she's ever done before including Near Dark.

She is, that's why I suggested her for best director win.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Emy wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Emy wrote:

She is, that's why I suggested her for best director win.

I love The Hurt Locker. It's truly an amazing piece of work and was much more complicated to film than anything she had ever attempted before.

Still, James Cameron FTW!