FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Best ship design ever
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

In film or in real life?

I've always had a thing for ships, the floating variety and spacegoing, and aircraft. Anything that could take me to the most exotic locations on or off the planet fascinated me.

In film there are many. More than I know of or can think of offhand.

To me the single greatest ship ever designed is the Klingon Bird of Prey.

Not to kick Star Wars around all the time but those ships never did anything for me. They all seem so rudimentary and flat out boring to me. Nothing but triangles and circles.

My favorite aircraft in real life is the Tomcat. I joined the Navy specifically to work on them. Found out through processing that I was color blind and thus ended my career in aviation.

So I wound up on a Destroyer which happened to be my favorite ship of the seagoing variety so I didn't mind too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1463

Floydian Trip wrote:

My favorite aircraft in real life is the Tomcat. I joined the Navy specifically to work on them. Found out through processing that I was color blind and thus ended my career in aviation.

That is quite unfortunate, don't get me wrong, but it also made me laugh to myself.
"I said cut the RED wire!"
"But this is the red wire, sir!"
"Are you fucking color blind, son?!"
"No sir, wait....oh shit...."
I know that's not what happened, but that's the way I think.

Anyway, the Event Horizon is my choice. Love the movie, actors, ship design, everything. I always wished they would hace come out with a model or replica of that ship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 448

I know its not the greatest design and it doesn't jump out at you, But I always loved the TIE Fighter.....I am a simple man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I love Event Horizon too and it is a badass ship design. I also thught the ship they came in on was cool. Can't remember the name of it right now.

The Tie Fighter, meh. I didn't even like playing with the toy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1463

resevil80 wrote:
I know its not the greatest design and it doesn't jump out at you, But I always loved the TIE Fighter.....I am a simple man.

It's iconic. So is the Millennium Falcon, which I wanted ever so badly as a kid. The kid down the street had one, but I was stuck with a TIE fighter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I also love the Battlestar Galactica and every ship in the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 1180

Captain Kirk's original U.S.S. Enterprise, duh. So wickedly 60's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:42 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

MethRattle wrote:
Captain Kirk's original U.S.S. Enterprise, duh. So wickedly 60's.


Laughing Probably the most iconic ship in film history but I prefer Picard's Enterprise's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:07 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 1180

The thread said "Best", not "Favorite". My favorite is the Eagle from "Space: 1999".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

MethRattle wrote:
The thread said "Best", not "Favorite". My favorite is the Eagle from "Space: 1999".


Yeah, can't argue with that much. I was thinking of Space 1999 earlier today actually. Was thinking I wish I would have picked the series up on DVD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Posts: 1463

Floydian Trip wrote:
MethRattle wrote:
The thread said "Best", not "Favorite". My favorite is the Eagle from "Space: 1999".


Yeah, can't argue with that much. I was thinking of Space 1999 earlier today actually. Was thinking I wish I would have picked the series up on DVD.

I was wondering when one of you would bring up Space 1999. Good stuff.
How about The Thunderbirds? Is that ever going to get the DVD treatment? I can't remember any cool ships on the show, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

frank_dracman wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
MethRattle wrote:
The thread said "Best", not "Favorite". My favorite is the Eagle from "Space: 1999".


Yeah, can't argue with that much. I was thinking of Space 1999 earlier today actually. Was thinking I wish I would have picked the series up on DVD.

I was wondering when one of you would bring up Space 1999. Good stuff.
How about The Thunderbirds? Is that ever going to get the DVD treatment? I can't remember any cool ships on the show, though.


Thunderbirds was awesome but I can't really remember too much either. Meth will though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 5530

Thunderbirds did have some great ships. I can't remember the names and I'm feeling too lazy to start googling them. But I think they all were numbers not actual names.

I always like the Planet Express Delivery ship from Futurama. I think more spaceships need comfy couches to hang out in.
_________________
Close the case before the coffin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:38 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I do remember them being numbers but that's about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:33 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Just watched the Family Guy version of ESB and one of the lines was, "The Empire our ships are giant triangles" Laughing I laughed my ass off about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum