FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> CBGB To Shut Down On Sept. 30
Sam Hell
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:22 am  Reply with quote

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002801061

Embattled New York rock club CBGB will close for good on Sept. 30, a year after waging a losing battle with its landlord, the Bowery Residents' Committee, over a new lease. New York-based promoter Rocks Off is organizing a host of special shows for the club's final weeks and promises appearances by "many of the artists who made CB's famous."

The nonprofit BRC houses 250 people above CBGB, which is its only commercial tenant. CBGB owner Hilly Kristal and BRC Executive Director Muzzy Rosenblatt have been feuding for years over back rent, which the BRC eventually went to court to collect.

In an agreement last December, Kristal promised to vacate the space by Oct. 31, 2006, only after CBGB's rent was raised from $19,000 a month to $35,000. It is unknown if Kristal plans to pursue re-opening CBGB at another location in the future.
~Billboard.com

Shame on you
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I'm sure CBGB's will reopen somewhere, it's too much of a franchise now to just fade away. But it'll never bee the same.

I'm going to try to go to a show there before it closes.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Marduk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:

I'm going to try to go to a show there before it closes.

Just don't use teh bathroom.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

that's fucking bullshit... the City of New York should eminent domain that sucker and make it the fucking landmark that it is.
Marduk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
that's fucking bullshit... the City of New York should eminent domain that sucker and make it the fucking landmark that it is.

and lower the drink prices while they're at it.
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:00 am  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:

Would have been nice if they'd done that for 42nd street. But really, it was only a matter of time before this happened.
dez
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I played there bunch in the mid 80s and even then it was a tad on the lame side. It's time to move on. I was far more bummed out when they closed the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ.
HorrorBob
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:00 am  Reply with quote

NYC has totally killed off all the good places to see decnt indie bands play. Coney Island High was a great place to see a punk show and they shut that down. The Tramps was pretty decent too. But CBGB's is like the motherload of the underground music scene. Shuting it down is like spiting on history. New York has it's issues also. Fucking $35,000 a month for rent. I'd hate to know what the taxes are on the building that the landlord needs to ask that much for rent. Hate to know what his morgage is also, if he has one. New York is seriously one of the worst places to buy a home, I own a house on Long Island, and got it for cheap out of sheer luck. But my taxes are almost 5 grand a year, and my house is on 100 X 50 lot. It only has two bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen, living and dining room, and a basement. Its just all fucked up here.
Krugrsgrl
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Fuck thats sad news. I was invited to help make a band look groovy by dancing with them at CBGB"S- 'sigh' Memories...

HorrorBob
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I had the pleasure of shooting a music video there once. It was right after they shot a scene for "Son of Sam" there and they still had everything for the camera set up there, so all we had to do was take our cameras and set them up in the same spots. It was the best shoot I ever did, because all the angles were set up perfect for the stage.
elric300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

I'm still dissapointed by all this. Wayyy too much history there. My friend's Band looks to be one one of the last groups to play there Sad.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 pm  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I have a friend that played there a few years ago but I missed it. Sad
Mary Henry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
I'm sure CBGB's will reopen somewhere, it's too much of a franchise now to just fade away.

Remember the Bottom Line? That was pretty well-known, too, but reputation didn't pay the landlord.