FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Top Gun
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Just watched this movie for the first time in years. Still awesome. My gf thinks it's cheesy as hell so maybe I just like fighter jets too much. A couple of things I forgot about though one that Tim Robbins is Merlin, Maverick's co-pilot at the end of the movie after Goose dies. Meg Ryan only gets a mention as a co-star though she is only in it for a few scenes but still she bacame way bigger and is much hotter than Mcgillis or however you spell her name. I never thought she was that great looking.

Also on the flyby's when the guys kept getting coffee spilled on them. I'm not quite sure that would happen. WHen I was out in the Gulf the pilots would do flyby's all the time 20 feet away about 20 feet off the ocean, at eye level, and I never felt anything except when they would go by supersonic and then you'd feel the sonic boom.

Great movie though! Very Happy
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Have actually been wanting to watch this the last week or so but seem to et side tracker, will have to dig it out tonight, indeed a great flick Very Happy
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Well I got my shiny hammer out, because it's time to bust your balls again, Floyd!

Of all the macho, self-indulgent garbage Cruise as been in, this one stands out as one of the worst. I thought the planes were cool when I was 13 but even at that young age I thought the film was silly. But at least it's responsible for one of Charlie Sheen's best movies.

But to be fair with you, I've never seen it in it's entirety since '86. Here and there on TV, but I've never had the gumption to sit through the whole thing.

Frank hates Cruise.
resevil80
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

All I can say is..."MAVERICK!".
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Not a bad movie but definitely cheesy. Tony Scott has done much better things.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Well I got my shiny hammer out, because it's time to bust your balls again, Floyd!

Of all the macho, self-indulgent garbage Cruise as been in, this one stands out as one of the worst. I thought the planes were cool when I was 13 but even at that young age I thought the film was silly. But at least it's responsible for one of Charlie Sheen's best movies.

But to be fair with you, I've never seen it in it's entirety since '86. Here and there on TV, but I've never had the gumption to sit through the whole thing.

Frank hates Cruise.

Why the Cruise hate? And don't bring up his personal life.

I think the movie is actually pretty funny with the banter between Maverick and Goose.

I see a certain amount of cheesiness but it was the 80's. Everything was cheesy, including the mullets.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Why the Cruise hate? And don't bring up his personal life.

I think the movie is actually pretty funny with the banter between Maverick and Goose.

I see a certain amount of cheesiness but it was the 80's. Everything was cheesy, including the mullets.

Nope, nothing against his crazy personal life, it's the fact the he is the personification of a lot of things that are wrong with Hollywood. The way people idolize him, the way a shity movie will get rave reviews just because he's in it (Minority Report, War of the Worlds), how he dominates any movie he's in and takes the spotlight from more talented actors (Valkyrie) and last but not least, the posters. God, the posters.

You could put that profile on a box of dried up dog shit and people would be standing in line at K Mart. He's a Hollywood darling and for the life of me I don't know why.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

Women swooning over him doesn't bother me. I think he's a damn good actor and has made alot of great movies and was perfect for this role. Don't make me bust out the filmogrophy.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Cruise has made about four movies that I though he was really good in....Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai, Minority Report and Rainman......
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I really don't enjoy him and avoid movies he's in like the fucking plague... he just annoys me and it has nothing to do with his personal life, which would also annoy me, by the way

he was great in Tropic Thunder, though
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

resevil80 wrote:
Tom Cruise has made about four movies that I though he was really good in....Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai, Minority Report and Rainman......

Vanilla Sky is just a remake of a much better movie, Open Your Eyes. Find it if you can. I'll give you Rainman, but Hoffman has a lot to do with my liking the film.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
resevil80 wrote:

Vanilla Sky is just a remake of a much better movie, Open Your Eyes. Find it if you can. I'll give you Rainman, but Hoffman has a lot to do with my liking the film.

3 words....Eyes Wide Shut.
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I hate Eyes Wide Shut.....will attempt to find Open Your Eyes......Hoffman was also great in Rainman but I really thought Cruise actually turned in a pretty good performance.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Blasphemy!
resevil80
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Its just me...never got into a lot of Kubrick's movies...I love Full Metal Jacket though...One of my favorite films of all time.