FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Dante's Inferno
MethRattle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Played the PSN Store demo. Of course, it's a beautiful game...but that goes without saying nowadays. The character models are surprisingly realistic looking and non-uncanny-valley. The gameplay is heavily God of War, and QTEs are the word of the day. There are button prompts all over the place. Having said that, the gameplay is a lot of fun. It does remind you of GoW, but it's all so smooth and fast that I didn't really have time to dwell on it. The combos are easy to pull off and effective in battle, the finishing moves are brutal, and there's some beast-riding that's a nice change of pace. The game starts like a cross between "Kingdom Of Heaven" and "Gladiator" from a story standpoint, but that goes away once you get to Hell, which looks like Hell should look. And, more so than GoW, this game doesn't shy away from the breasts. It's a little obvious, but it's also a refreshing change from blood splatters and "motherfucker"s. The demo makes the game look very promising.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:29 am  Reply with quote

Just picked up The Divine Comedy. Have you read it?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:26 am  Reply with quote

Closest I've gotten is the Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle "Inferno", which was a cool read.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I got burned out on QTE's after GoW2 but it's been long enough I think. This game has me interested.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't know there's a demo. Guess it's time to go check live. This is one of the few games I'm really excited for this year.

nvm looks like they dont have it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

I saw it on the Playstation store as well but I usually get frustrated by playing demos.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

why?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

A demo much like a trailer for a movie is never a very good representation of the actual game. Area 51 almost made me give up gaming for good. The demo, which was short, was great. But those were the only good parts of the game that they spliced together the actual game was an abomination.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Fair enough. I haven't tried it yet.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

The demo is on the PSN store now, and will be on the Live store closer to Xmas.

As for myself, I love demos. They can usually tell me if a game has that elusive gameplay 'hook' that can carry me through a game which might otherwise not seem all that great. For me, most games have the capacity to be good or bad, depending on whether or not it has that indefinable vibe that makes me want to keep playing. Most demos will give me an idea if that quality is in the game. The "Mirror's Edge" demo had one of the highest levels of that vibe that I've ever seen (lost track of how many times I played through the demo), equal to the "Metal Gear Solid 2" demo back on PS2. "Alone In The Dark" was a putrid game, and the demo broadcast that loudly. Plenty of games (usually FPSs) are perfectly well-constructed games that are well-received by gamers and critics alike, but just aren't my thing...a demo will tell me that.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:01 am  Reply with quote

Makes sense. I love the design for cerberus in dantes inferno.

Wonder how much they'll change from the books to the game and cartoon(I'm super-excited for the cartoon).
resevil80
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Demo was pretty darn good on Live....The CG cut scenes are some of the highest quality I have seen....Might have to pick it up..
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 am  Reply with quote

if I get the chance, I will pick it up
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:45 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This one looks pretty damn strong. If you want a peek at some of the designs and levels from the game, there's a Facebook game based on it. The levels and such mirror the console version, even though the gameplay is identical to Vampire Wars, Mafia Wars, etc.

BTW, the collector's edition is available at Gamestop for the -same price- as the standard, when you pre-order for the PS3. (PS3 only!) I'm grabbing that deal.
goblin310
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 am  Reply with quote

The demo was BA!!! I dont know if Im gonna rush out and buy it right away tho... I might wait for a price drop before I pick it up.